Blood moon performance and some uncraftable blocks

fallenbox

Hi everyone, i recently started playing the game again with a friend of mine and everything was fine but now ( at 66 days actually) blood moons seems to cause a very intense drop in performance both for me and my friend ( 12 zombies for player, almost same drops as 16 which is weird)  its been a long time since my last time playing the game and i can't remember if it was the same in a18, i have some mods installed but most of them are just veichles and old deleted elements re-added to the game, could the reason that i'm hosting localy the server we are playing on ? also does anyone know if there is a way or a mod that let you create those junk cars like walls ?

I5 9600kf OC 4.6ghz all cores

16gb ram 3000mhz

GTX 1660 ti 6gb vram

550W PSu CX  

z390ud

game is on HDD

Mods in use

13erserk - Traps

AC_Mi_17

Bdubs Vehicles

DrsA19OilGas extractor

GoreMod

Gyancher Working Grills

Harry's Removed Crosshairs

HH_All_Vehicles_Respawn_v3

HH_Boulders_Respawn

HH_Custom_Materials

KHA19-LogSpikes

MeanCloud__BarbedWire

SSyl-IronOre

Stallionsdens Mining Machine and Rain Catcher (Tiger Model with Sound)

Su1C1dal 7DTD Swim Faster

TreeStumpRespawn

Valmars Expanded Traps

WorkingWoodBurningStove

ZT-Unnecessarily Beautiful But Immersive

Are you playing on the same machine that is hosting the server? The machine you listed? How do the performance metrics look while you're playing?

If everything was fine until about day 66 then it's not strictly related to # of zombies during BM, because you would have had 24 total attacking zombies (2x per-player max of 12) back at party gamestage 74 (you're probably at GS 150-200 now). If you were playing at 16 max, then you reached the 32 total BM zombies at GS 97. So that kinda explains why reducing the per-player max isn't affecting the performance drop: if you were going to have a problem with zombie count, it would have happened 30 game days ago.

Some things which I've noticed can hurt performance, YMMV:

- Lots of blade traps (never had enough turrets at one base to know for sure, but maybe lots of turrets too)

- Base lit by torches (instead of electric or candles)

- Tree farm visible from base (we generally thin out any local trees just to be safe, and plant the tree farm a couple of city blocks away out of render distance)

Have you been using all of those mods the entire time? Have you tried a BM without the mods, just to see what happens? You could start a temporary new game, pop-tart your players up to level 60 or 70, move to day 70, stand on a concrete pillar and just keep an eye on the performance as you get murdered.

4 hours ago, Boidster said:

Are you playing on the same machine that is hosting the server? The machine you listed? How do the performance metrics look while you're playing?

If everything was fine until about day 66 then it's not strictly related to # of zombies during BM, because you would have had 24 total attacking zombies (2x per-player max of 12) back at party gamestage 74 (you're probably at GS 150-200 now). If you were playing at 16 max, then you reached the 32 total BM zombies at GS 97. So that kinda explains why reducing the per-player max isn't affecting the performance drop: if you were going to have a problem with zombie count, it would have happened 30 game days ago.

Some things which I've noticed can hurt performance, YMMV:

- Lots of blade traps (never had enough turrets at one base to know for sure, but maybe lots of turrets too)

- Base lit by torches (instead of electric or candles)

- Tree farm visible from base (we generally thin out any local trees just to be safe, and plant the tree farm a couple of city blocks away out of render distance)

Have you been using all of those mods the entire time? Have you tried a BM without the mods, just to see what happens? You could start a temporary new game, pop-tart your players up to level 60 or 70, move to day 70, stand on a concrete pillar and just keep an eye on the performance as you get murdered.

Ye i'm playing on the same machine that is hosting, i'm gonna test it but my suspects are on fire barrels and blade and turret traps

There are optimizations being done, but it shouldn't be that bad. I suspect all those timers some of your mods add on have effect on it, as well as I see you have a custom deco/object mod, those high-poly items add up real quick (which is a reason why a lot of POI stuff is locked behind the creative menu).

I would make a new world for testing with 0 mods with your friend, give yourselves XP to where you were at (or more) and some gear, and use st 70 21 50 in the console to warp to a blood moon and see if you run better.

Then after that, in the same world, add turrets / barrels / other traps you had in the other world.

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Same poor performance on my 5900x 12 core. Game barely uses more than 2-4 cores at max, and whenever there's a blood moon with 15+ zombies, framerate tanks from around 60-70 fps (cpu utilization limit) down to unplayable 15 fps with sub 50% gpu usage on my 2080.

Considering the game is 8 years old by now since it "released", it's performance is still dog@%$#e on the cpu part of things.

2 hours ago, Duckers said:

Same poor performance on my 5900x 12 core. Game barely uses more than 2-4 cores at max, and whenever there's a blood moon with 15+ zombies, framerate tanks from around 60-70 fps (cpu utilization limit) down to unplayable 15 fps with sub 50% gpu usage on my 2080.

Considering the game is 8 years old by now since it "released", it's performance is still dog@%$#e on the cpu part of things.

Can’t help you if you don’t provide more information.  You also may want to start a separate thread since your issue may be something different.

I got a 2080 and not seeing that extreme of a fps drop.  I usually hold steady around 50 - 60 fps.

Also, game hasn’t been release yet and the devs are doing a lot of optimization now; but you probably didn’t know that since you just joined and probably not following the devs posts.