7d2d launcher on stean

morph

For some reason Steam won't recognise the 7d2d mod launcher. "Failed to launch 7D2DModLauncher is all I get. Nothing in the INSTALLED mods part despite the War3zuk A19 overhaul being downloaded.... Im2doing something wrong.... Can some one do me a thicky guide to down loading the mod launcher, then downloading and saving the Darkness falls mod and saving it, and incorporating the launcher and mod onto the Steam please.... This is doing my peabrain in.....

Pretty please.... 

IMG_20201126_184707.jpg

You use the launcher instead of steam. The launcher creates a second copy of the game based on the version you currently have loaded in Steam and then applies the mod you want to that copy. Then you launch the game from the mod launcher instead of steam. If you launch from steam you will be playing vanilla. If you launch from the mod launcher then you will be playing your modded copy. If you want to play an additional mod then you will have three copies of the game installed and the two modded versions you will launch from the mod launcher.

Trying to integrate the mod launcher with Steam is madness. (It actually is but all of that happens behind the scenes so that all you have to do is click on your mod and play.)

Here is a link to the mod launcher thread. It has two tutorials listed in the first post. They are old but the way you  use the launcher hasn't really changed in years.

I run the ModLauncher through Steam so I can use Steam overlay in-game. This allows me to hit links in the game lobby and take Steam screenshots.

In your Library, bottom left corner, click Add a Game, click Add a non-Steam game, when the list pops up choose 7D2DLauncher.exe. This should add the Launcher to your Steam library where you will start it like any other game.

Been doing this for years(A16?); it is easy to do and it works fine.

If a smarter person knows a reason not to do this I would like to hear it.

Screenshot 2020-11-28 090548.png

Screenshot 2020-11-28 091031.png

On 11/28/2020 at 9:03 AM, Catdaddy said:

I run the ModLauncher through Steam so I can use Steam overlay in-game. This allows me to hit links in the game lobby and take Steam screenshots.

In your Library, bottom left corner, click Add a Game, click Add a non-Steam game, when the list pops up choose 7D2DLauncher.exe. This should add the Launcher to your Steam library where you will start it like any other game.

Been doing this for years(A16?); it is easy to do and it works fine.

If a smarter person knows a reason not to do this I would like to hear it.

Screenshot 2020-11-28 090548.png

Screenshot 2020-11-28 091031.png

My wife does the same for her steam controller. 

The Installed Mods can be a bit wonky.  Make sure that your target folder is the same as it was. For example, default, all mods are installed under C:\7D2D\. You can change this by clicking on Starting Splash Screen and clicking on the Blue Folder

I appreciate the feedback. I have never had any wonkiness with the Launcher.

I really love the My Mods function, but from conversations with other players I can report that it sometimes goes unnoticed or misunderstood. I would love to see it become a more prominent feature, perhaps with a dumbed-down instruction set. This could make it more accessible to casual modders and other non-weirdos.

I get that this may not be worth your time with Steam Workshop on the horizon, but I sincerely hope that this tool will persist beyond that and continue to grow.

Thank you both for your dedication to this game and the community.

5 hours ago, Catdaddy said:

I appreciate the feedback. I have never had any wonkiness with the Launcher.

I really love the My Mods function, but from conversations with other players I can report that it sometimes goes unnoticed or misunderstood. I would love to see it become a more prominent feature, perhaps with a dumbed-down instruction set. This could make it more accessible to casual modders and other non-weirdos.

I get that this may not be worth your time with Steam Workshop on the horizon, but I sincerely hope that this tool will persist beyond that and continue to grow.

Thank you both for your dedication to this game and the community.

I appreciate the feedback. My Mods was originally developed to add your own overhaul, etc. With modlets coming into play, they become more important, but the feature was never really pushed.  I do plan on fixing that in the future, but as you said, Steam Workshop would replace that functionality (I hope).  But the mod launcher is already 4 years old. Performance can be spotty, it's not cross-platform, etc. 

I am looking at a new design that would be cross platform, and would be putting more of a focus on the modlet system for that version, and by extension, "My Mods".

Archived