Zombiepedia Skillpoints Modlet (A20)

ShoudenKalferas

Tested & Updated for Alpha 20 (b218)

This educational XPath modlet will place into your game, 15 volumes/books of an Encyclopedia named Zombiepedia. The Zombiepedia was assembled from tips, tricks, and helpful pointers of other survivors. When you find one of the books and read it, a popup is shown on the screen with the tips that are related to the topic or category of the specific volume you found. For each book you read, you are provided 2 skill points for increasing your knowledge of the world and game, and that specific Encyclopedia volume is added to your Journal in case you want to read back through it later. The Encyclopedia contains over 80 entries and are compiled by actual players via a crowd-source Google shared document. The author of each entry is attributed in the content displayed to the player in-game.

This XML-only XPath Modlet is compatible with both Singleplayer and Dedicated Server play and only needs to be installed onto the server.

Volumes:

1. Blood Moon Horde Night
  2. Building Materials
  3. Clothing and Armor
  4. Education and XP Gain
  5. Electronics
  6. Existing Structure Bases (Above-Ground)
  7. Farming and Foods
  8. Harvesting Resources
  9. Inventory Management
  10. Maximizing Loot
  11. Traps
  12. Underground Bases
  13. Vehicles
  14. Weapons
  15. Zombies

Current Release:
Zombiepedia Skillpoints Modlet - A20_1.0

Old Release:
Zombiepedia Skillpoints Modlet - A19.3_1.0a

• This modlet can be added to a new or existing game.

Installation Instructions:

• Extract the zip file
  • Copy the folder "Zombiepedia_Skillpoints" into your Mods folder
  • If you don't have a Mods folder & are playing on Steam under Windows:
    • Right-click the game in Steam and select Properties
    • Click the "Local Files" tab
    • Click the "Browse Local Files" button
    • In the popup that appears, create a folder called "Mods"
      • By default this path would end up being: c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods
Edited by ShoudenKalferas
Updated for A20 (see edit history)

great work!!!

but...there are seems some mistakes in your loot.xml.

you`d better change your "<append xpath="lootcontainers">" into "<insertBefore xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='booksAllScaled']">" in line2 of loot.xml and the end of this xml node.

by the way,i do think 2 skillpoints is a bit too high for players.

ah...you`d move the "lootcontainer id='472'" to another "append" node!!!

Best Regards

Edited by PandaTea
some errors (see edit history)

I'm not sure how I missed this! Thanks for noticing this and posting. I did test and didn't see any obvious warnings/errors. Kind of puzzled on that one. But looking at it closely I do see what you mean about the first lootgroup referring to a second lootgroup that hasn't been declared yet. I'll work through publishing a release on this now.

-----

bugfix release published

Edited by ShoudenKalferas (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • ShoudenKalferas changed the title to Zombiepedia Skillpoints Modlet a20
  • ShoudenKalferas changed the title to Zombiepedia Skillpoints Modlet (A20)
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How do I remove this mod? I tried it, didn't like it, removed the mod folder and bam - all my skill points are gone and the journal was reset (empty).

Prior to deleting the mod folder I had copied my Saves. So I put the mod folder back and copied over my saves so I have my character back, but I would like to remove the mod. Please assist.

Playing Vanilla A20.5

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 2:52 PM, austin457 said:

How do I remove this mod? I tried it, didn't like it, removed the mod folder and bam - all my skill points are gone and the journal was reset (empty).

Prior to deleting the mod folder I had copied my Saves. So I put the mod folder back and copied over my saves so I have my character back, but I would like to remove the mod. Please assist.

Playing Vanilla A20.5

You remove the mod by deleting it from your mods folder..

Because it uses an autocompleting quest to add to your character progression, and both of those elements are sensitive to how saves work in 7d2d, when you remove the mod it resets progression (your skill points, journal, etc.). 
You can't have the extra skill points and journal entries without the mod, so the save that was made using it being loaded without the mod it has dependencies on would be invalid causing a character reset.

AKA: Don't try mods on a save you aren't willing to lose. Make a test game to see what they do/how they work and then decide you want to use them. It's almost always gonna break stuff in this game if you remove a mod from a game save.