Gas a late game resource

Maxley

I feel gas is too easy to obtain. If you mine just a bit in a oil shale deposit you will have enough for a very long time. I think gas initially in the early to mid Game should be gathered from cars and perhaps this should provide slightly less than it currently does.

in the late game I think you should have to find an oil refinery POI and have to restore it to functioning order, which would require much resources and many different components. Perhaps this process could be expedited by specing into the science skill. Once restored the refinery would provide gas at a steady rate, 1000 per day for example. 

it should be important to protect these refineries as they can be destroyed by zombies. Maybe it attracts screamers here and there.

what thinks you?

Nice idea for content in the game or a new quest type. But has only secondary to do with gas supply.

Anyway from what i know, it is not possible in the game YET. Maybe it could also be modded into.

From your gas issue: Playing with a friend on a closed server unsing motorcycles, 4x4 and gyrocopters... Day 80 now. Never gone mining oil shale yet. Still having half a storage box full of just gas. Everything just looted.

56 minutes ago, Maxley said:

I feel gas is too easy to obtain. If you mine just a bit in a oil shale deposit you will have enough for a very long time.

To mine oil shale you first have to find the desert. In my current game I had to travel a long way to find the desert. 

Because in every random gene map the desert is somewhere else and you spawn in the green you have to spawn right next to the desert to find it early in the game.

21 hours ago, Maxley said:

You can find the desert in the early game easily. Just travel around for a while. It might take you an hour to find, but it’s still easy to do. I just think gas could be more interesting.

One hour is on default settings a whole in-game day, that is lost searching the desert. You can hardly afford that in the early game.

Gasoline as it is, is ok for me. It was nerfed a whole lot between A17 and A18.

Sure some aspects of the game could be made more interesting but gas is just a really tiny aspect and you should not overcomplicate things.

In my experience, I usually get all the gas and oil I'll need just from wrenching cars. Since they buffed molotovs I've been finding that mining shale is now something I need to do, but I've found that a single night of mining shale can set me up for the rest of my game world.

10 hours ago, FranticDan said:

In my experience, I usually get all the gas and oil I'll need just from wrenching cars. Since they buffed molotovs I've been finding that mining shale is now something I need to do, but I've found that a single night of mining shale can set me up for the rest of my game world.

Yeah, thank you. I just think there should be more of a process in creating a sustained source of gas. I think my idea would fit well with the Fun Pimps plan to have quests which restore power to buildings. It would create a sense of rebuilding civilization in an apocalyptic world.

Archived