Material and DisplayType for weapons, what effects does it have?

xxx73

Hi guys

I'm adding some weapons to my game and I see different Materials and DisplayType used for same type of weapon that even look similar.

So Im trying to find out what this settings actually mean for weapons. I have search a little in the forum and I found many posts but not find anything about this.

Here is one example:
All vanilla shotguns use:

DisplayType = rangedShotgun

Material = Mmetal

Some shoguns from mods use:

DisplayType = rangedGun

Material = MmechanicalParts

About DisplayType:
I know it is defined in ui_display.xml and it is about what stats to show, but why does modders use rangedGun instead of rangedShotgun if it only is about what stats to show?
Also what about tags in ui_display.xml, what does they do?

About Material:

Only things I know is what I can see in materials.xml, Mmetal and MmechanicalParts have same damage_category, but I have no idea how the different variables work on a weapon.

Any help to get some clarity into this is helpful.

Have fun :)

Thanks for your help again :)

What about tags,  what effect does the tags have, does it have anything to do with what is included in stats shown?

Im looking for a good guide about xml settings and stats, anyone have a good to recommend?

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a guess since I haven't looked at the code but since shotguns with standard shotgun shells are the only ones that fire multiple bullets per shot, that the display shotgun property takes that into account and the display gun one doesn't. If you look up ammoshotgun you will notice a property ray count that determines how many bullets are fired per shot. I once set it to 100 with a lot of damage and a wide spread to see the impact and it annihilated anything in front of me.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:05 PM, Gazz said:

Materials are also used to determine what something can be scrapped into.

If someone uses rangedGun instead of rangedShotgun then they probably want it to display that way. /shrug

This is 100% correct on the first part. The second part is probably true, but it would be kinda weird to have a display setup this way since the damage and all that is calculated off of the weapon and ammo. The display only shows the values that are taken from the combination of the two.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:24 PM, xxx73 said:

Thanks for your help again :)

What about tags,  what effect does the tags have, does it have anything to do with what is included in stats shown?

Im looking for a good guide about xml settings and stats, anyone have a good to recommend?

The tags are used to help calculate the stats for the given weapon. For instance the pistol stats at any level are given within a set range. The only way for that damage to increase is with the perk gunslinger. So The display looks at the perk to see what stats have been increased to determine what stats to display.

Archived