New quest objective - Go to a specific POI

mr.devolver

Hello,

as much as I love the surprise factor given by the random nature of the game, I believe that when it comes to roleplaying experience, sometimes it is actually better to have a full control of what is going on. For this reason, as a modder, I would like to be able to send the player to a specific POI to do tasks that are tailored around that specific POI. I think that this would be a pretty nice addition for both developers and players/modders to play with.

Thanks for reading and your feedback.

There is an objective type for quests called "goto" but all of the current quests only use an ID of "trader".  I tried substituting cabin_01 instead of trader for a new game in Navesgane but the value was ignored.  I assume trader is hard coded at the moment or something like that.

I would expect that this will change as they expand the game and add things like bandits.

VI think in A16 it use to work but changed/broke along the way.  I asked Lathan In one of the dev streams if he could look into it and he responded with a sly ...."mayyyybe"..... 😅

Edit: maybe I should ask again now that I made him a food truck POI named after him....😅

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

There is an objective type for quests called "goto" but all of the current quests only use an ID of "trader".  I tried substituting cabin_01 instead of trader for a new game in Navesgane but the value was ignored.  I assume trader is hard coded at the moment or something like that.

I would expect that this will change as they expand the game and add things like bandits.

Well, I was trying to say that since we already have RandomPOIGoto and ClosestPOIGoto which both send you to a POI - a random one in the first case and the closest one in the second case, they may as well implement something like simply POIGoto where we could specify POI name and it would send the player there, IF such POI is in the map, but hey this should never run into the problem that you will send the player to a non-existing POI, because 1) devs said the new rwg SHOULD (but really doesn't as I tested it) put at least 1 copy of every POI into the newly generated map, 2) if you're crafting such a quest for a mod, you could simply inform the players to make sure that the map they plan to play your mod with does have that specific POI. That can be checked through xml of the POI placements.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll jump on this bandwagon.  I've wanted this for a while too.  I've started doing many custom quests to provide some storyline, and it would be great if we could specify.  Even better if you could specify an option that would let it auto-fallback to random POI if specified POI doesn't exist.

Archived