Cannot log in as admin b178

GotinDrachenhart

Hey all,

So, we fired up the game today and joined our server.....we couldn't because it had updated to 178 and we'd missed this. The server reported it was on a randomgen even though we were using pregen3. So, the host had to get in there and blow it out and reset it. Now it's working fine EXCEPT that we can no longer log in as admins. We added our steam ID's and in game names to the serveradmin.xml file but that doesn't help.

Is there something we're missing or that has changed?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey, so we ended up having to just start from scratch. My wife tried a few things and got it working but now we're on b4 and are having this issue again. I'll attach the serveradmin file here. From what I've read online and even in the file header's how-to it LOOKS like it should be working just fine. But, while we can use the CM menu we still cannot use the DM menu. We didn't think much of it but tonight we could have used it as she got herself stuck in a wall and couldn't get out.

Thanks!

7 days to die serverxml backup.txt

try dropping the name section, that is not on any of mine and everybody is at the level i designated. could be the underscores and spaces. wont hurt to try if it wasnt working. good luck

<user steamID="76561198006733541" name="Alia_and_Gotin" permission_level="0" />

to

<user steamID="76561198006733541"  permission_level="0" />

too bad as it was a thought.

here is what mine looks like and the steam ids are changed to xxx for the players sanity in showing this. if none of this applies then check with server/game config.

odds are bad setting in config or mods (not criticizing either just pointing them out as possibilities too).

<adminTools>
    <!-- Name is optional for display purposes only -->
    <admins>
        <!-- <user steamID="76561198021925107" name="Hint on who this user is" permission_level="0" /> -->
        <!-- <group steamID="103582791434672565" name="Steam Universe" permission_level_default="1000" permission_level_mod="0" /> -->
        <user steamID="xxx"  permission_level="0" />
    </admins>

below is default on my settings as i changed nothing in it.
    <permissions>
        <!-- <permission cmd="dm" permission_level="0" /> -->
        <!-- <permission cmd="kick" permission_level="1" /> -->
        <!-- <permission cmd="say" permission_level="1000" /> -->
        <permission cmd="chunkcache" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="debugshot" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="debugweather" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="getgamepref" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="getgamestat" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="getoptions" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="gettime" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="gfx" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="help" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="listplayerids" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="listthreads" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="memcl" permission_level="1000" />
        <permission cmd="settempunit" permission_level="1000" />
    </permissions>

thats all i can offer sylen. :)

he needs to try on someone elses server as well.

Also check this section in your serverconfig.xml

<!-- Folder and file locations -->
    <property name="AdminFileName"                    value="serveradmin.xml"/>    <!-- Server admin file name. Path relative to the SaveGameFolder -->
    <!-- <property name="UserDataFolder"                value="absolute path" /> -->    <!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG      generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->
    <!-- <property name="SaveGameFolder"                value="absolute path" /> -->    <!-- Use this to only override the save game path. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

Changing the the file locations can change which serveradmin.xml gets loaded.

Check your output log to see the exact path that the game is using to load your serveradmin file to be sure you are editing the right file.

In my log it reports like this:

Line 40: 2020-09-02T03:04:19 0.712 INF Loading permissions file at 'C:\Users\Beelzybud\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves/serveradmin.xml'

Ok here's the log from the output file which seems to verify what you were saying Beelzybub in regards the file location...

2020-09-23T19:42:51 1.650 INF Loading permissions file at 'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves/serveradmin.xml'
2020-09-23T19:42:51 1.682 INF Loading permissions file done.
2020-09-23T19:42:52 2.408 INF Reloading serveradmin.xml
2020-09-23T19:42:52 2.408 INF Loading permissions file at 'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves/serveradmin.xml'
2020-09-23T19:42:52 2.409 INF Loading permissions file done.

Not sure why it's loading it twice though, but it seems to mirror yours. And here is the section from the serverconfig xml file...

<!-- Folder and file locations -->
    <property name="AdminFileName"                    value="serveradmin.xml"/>    <!-- Server admin file name. Path relative to the SaveGameFolder -->
    <!-- <property name="UserDataFolder"                value="" /> -->    <!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->
    <!-- <property name="SaveGameFolder"

Which again, seems to be ok.

The funny thing is that when b178 went live we had this same issue. Between us and our host we couldn't figure it out, tried everything. Even tried rolling back to previous saves. Then, when the game went to a stable rollout this functionality worked just fine. We didn't think anything of it at the time because we just figured our host had nailed the problem down and we forgot to ask as RL kept us busy at the time. 

Now, we've gone to stable....yet the dm menu is still borked. We get cm but cannot actually function AS server admins. Normally this isn't a big deal but the game does still have some buggy things happen from time to time and being able to dm really helps with this. Things like stuck players or helping to retrieve a pack that falls through something, etc..

The mods we're running were going just fine and have worked great all this time with the one exception being the vanilla firearms overhaul which, someone tweaked the files for not too long ago and now it runs perfectly in a19 (woot woot), so while I'm sure mods could bash things around it doesn't seem like these are the culprit. 

At this point....I'm actually starting to wonder if it isn't something to do with the host and how they installed/set up the server. Maybe they got a path wrong or have some other fat finger issue happening. Because it looks like it SHOULD be just fine and I just don't get it!

Archived