Translation to Serbian for free

Should there be a Serbian translation for 7 Days to Die?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a Serbian translation for 7 Days to Die?

• I don't speak Serbian or I don't care
    • Yes

Hi there, Fun Pimps!

I'd like to offer you a free translation to Serbian language but in a cyrillic script. If the game font doesn't support Serbian cyrillic, I'd be glad to instead do the translation but in latin letters.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you consider my offer.

Miloš Vlajković

That's a great idea but in my opinion a cyrillic script would be better because that is a native Serbian script. We were first using that and later during the 20th century the latin script was made. I want to respect the culture of my country and I think a cyrillic translation would be better.

Offering a free service to a commercial product / company means you probably have never done this before.

A translation is NOT a once-off sit-down and translate all the text.  It is time consuming and on-going and the reason why companies like TFP would ignore your service offer is that because it is free they can't hold you to any service level agreement.  So if they need you to fix a broken translation in 6 years with a 1 day turnaround time, then they have no support.  That means they either need to suddenly find another resource to do the work or tell the Serbian users they have no update, sorry for the bad translations.

As the game grows, more and more text needs to be translated.  The translations need to pass through Quality controll and needs to be versioned and merged into upstream.

Offering a free service makes it sound like you think this is a trivial thing to do, and it really isn't.  And if they think you underestimate the job, they won't be interested in what you offer.

You'd be better off contacting the company directly and attach your CV.  Even then you would need to make it worth the risk.  For TFP having no Serbian translation is definitely better than having a broken translation.

Hello, Tahaan!

I've got to be honest with you and really you've got the point. I already translated another game to Serbian. It's called The Search and it's made by Jason Godbey. The Search is a really short game. It's about an hour long depending on how you play it and I thought it was really easy to translate a game, but even a short game like The Search has a lot of text in it. It was exhausting a little bit, but I was determined to do it and I did it. The translation is now live on Steam and if you bought The Search you can play it in Serbian language if you want. Also, I'm 13 years old. You could've guessed by my profile picture and I don't really know all of that business stuff you're talking about. But, again I'm saying, you're right about everything you just said. I'm not a professional translator and they probably wouldn't even look at my offer. And, again I'm saying I know that translating games is a really hard job but I already did it once.

There is nothing stopping you from doing it today and releasing the translation as a mod. The only limitation (I think) is that you would have to use one of the other languages' position in the localization file. So maybe you replace Spanish with Serbian and release the localization file as a mod to those who want it.

Edit to add picture of what I'm talking about. I changed out the Spanish word for "controls" for what Google Translate told me was that noun in Serbian. I'm sure it's wrong, but you can see the effect if I change my language to Spanish.

image.png.5003e907ab5bc06140dd0ea3008894f3.png

There are 8,570 items in localization.xml, so get to work! 🙂

On 7/13/2020 at 2:33 PM, Tahaan said:

Offering a free service to a commercial product / company means you probably have never done this before.

A translation is NOT a once-off sit-down and translate all the text.  It is time consuming and on-going and the reason why companies like TFP would ignore your service offer is that because it is free they can't hold you to any service level agreement.  So if they need you to fix a broken translation in 6 years with a 1 day turnaround time, then they have no support.  That means they either need to suddenly find another resource to do the work or tell the Serbian users they have no update, sorry for the bad translations.

As the game grows, more and more text needs to be translated.  The translations need to pass through Quality controll and needs to be versioned and merged into upstream.

Offering a free service makes it sound like you think this is a trivial thing to do, and it really isn't.  And if they think you underestimate the job, they won't be interested in what you offer.

You'd be better off contacting the company directly and attach your CV.  Even then you would need to make it worth the risk.  For TFP having no Serbian translation is definitely better than having a broken translation.

You are completely right and I agree. Although I have extensive experience in ENG/SER translation, I have never done it in a game or something similar to that... willing to learn though, so thank you for the information :)

Archived