Unable to Purchase Steam Pack for Friends

Labrat309

With the game being on sale I was going to buy a couple 2 game packs for friends, however steam will not let me buy them because I already own the game, I am sending a ticket into steam, but seeing if anyone knows a fix for this while I wait for them to contact me.

Both purchase buttons are "grayed" out and can't be pushed on the cart screen.

Capture.PNG

I have a ticket in with them now, just seeing if anyone has experienced this before, or knows a work around until they contact me.

Can anyone else attempt also and see if it's working for them (don't actually buy it but test it), make sure it's not just something on my end only.

• 4 months later...

@glennb88 is absolutely correct and it is a Steam policy for their own store and nothing that we can change. The 2-pack is only for first time buyers who do not already have the game in their own library. One copy is downloaded to your library and you must provide the Steam ID of the friend you want to gift the second copy to and it goes directly into their library as a downloadable game. 

You do not get two Steam Keys that you can pass out to someone else. You cannot even select the pack if you already have it in your library. Even if you purchased the game individually twice on Steam as gifts you would not get codes and the games would go directly to the libraries of the people you were gifting it to.

If you are wanting Steam keys because you want to put the code in a physical card to be opened then your best bet is to wait for a humble bundle sale because they sell Steam keys whereas steam just sends the game directly to the recipient's library and you don't get a code to give out. If you aren't concerned about the savings then don't wait for a sale or just order directly from TFP as they also give a Steam Key when you purchase the game. But the game is always full price from TFP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 12:56 AM, Roland said:

@glennb88 is absolutely correct and it is a Steam policy for their own store and nothing that we can change. The 2-pack is only for first time buyers who do not already have the game in their own library.

Then probably just create a new account and buy the 2-pack with that as gift. Might be anoying, if you want to buy the 2-pack 5 times.

Just tested it, i either can't select anything when choosing the 2-pack.

12 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Then probably just create a new account and buy the 2-pack with that as gift. Might be anoying, if you want to buy the 2-pack 5 times.

Just tested it, i either can't select anything when choosing the 2-pack.

I guess if your two friends didn't have a steam account at all you could do it that way but you can just get two copies for $17 during sales like the current one. Seems easier.

Archived