Simple Horde Night fix

Patro56

So it's known that there are multitude of ways to avoid horde night encounters. Since the game is still in development, it'd be best to provide a quick solution to the problem and I believe I have one and it's nothing more than actually FORCING the player to actually kill horde zombies rather than giving player option to run away:

- have the game prepare x number of zombies depending on gamestage
- horde zombies will keep coming until you kill a predetrmined number of them
- horde zombies will keep coming even after the 7th night has ended (until you kill them all)

This will render escape useless and enforce the "tower defense" aspect of the game.

My personal gripe with this game is its lack of solid goals, apart from survival aspect which frankly can be considered as an optional goal (even worse when dying doesn't end the game) and perhaps reaching tier VI quests but once you equip yourself with end-game gear, there really isn't much left to do. Glad to hear that quests are being expanded and that there will be main plot to follow but until now here's a little idea you guys could follow.
I bet suggestions like these are made daily so apologies if similar idea already floats on the forums.

Would also like to say big thanks for allowing players to rebind inventory keys. I made this suggestion long time ago and the feature found its way into the game relatively quick. Left-handed person like myself sure is appreciative of this feature.

12 minutes ago, Patro56 said:

- have the game prepare x number of zombies depending on gamestage
- horde zombies will keep coming until you kill a predetrmined number of them

It basically already works like this.

Only problem is, once the Zs are spawned and you drive away they will loose track of you but are not despawned, so at the maxzombies-limit there can't spawn new ones and the "living" ones won't find you.

I red this will be changed in A19.

- horde zombies will keep coming even after the 7th night has ended (until you kill them all)

I don't like this. In later gamestages the hords are so big that it becomes also a matter of winning time. But winning time is useless if they keep coming even in the morning.

The goal is you and your base last till morning. So either you build so massive that Zs don't come through in time or you fight them fast enough. Or a combination of both.

But keep the Zs coming even during the day until you fought the complete horde imho is a bad idea.

My personal gripe with this game is its lack of solid goals, apart from survival aspect which frankly can be considered as an optional goal (even worse when dying doesn't end the game) and perhaps reaching tier VI quests but once you equip yourself with end-game gear, there really isn't much left to do. Glad to hear that quests are being expanded and that there will be main plot to follow but until now here's a little idea you guys could follow.

There will always be a point where nothing much is left. With more content it just moves a little bit farther away. That comes with all endless games.

I don't say the content is enough, but make it more will also not solve the problem.

If you want to the game to have an "end", there need to be put an end. Either dead is dead or maybe there is an escape zone somewhere on the map, once you reach it, you are rescued and the game is done. Or you find a portal somewhere and past it you can fight the endboss... whatever.

But some people (like me) like the game because it has no end. I like the endless play. So i probably will never search for the end, even if there is one. I never ended a rimworld game by building the spaceship. I never ended a game in civilization just because i won the sience race. I even used an endless mod for FTL. I never killed the dragon in minecraft...

8 hours ago, Patro56 said:

So it's known that there are multitude of ways to avoid horde night encounters. Since the game is still in development, it'd be best to provide a quick solution to the problem and I believe I have one and it's nothing more than actually FORCING the player to actually kill horde zombies rather than giving player option to run away:

So you say "You have to play the game my way and you have to like it".

You should respect that other players have a different idea of the game. Forcing them to do something is the best way to scare them away. You can encourage them to do something but you should never force them.

7 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

But some people (like me) like the game because it has no end. I like the endless play. So i probably will never search for the end, even if there is one. I never ended a rimworld game by building the spaceship. I never ended a game in civilization just because i won the sience race. I even used an endless mod for FTL. I never killed the dragon in minecraft...

That is a good way of putting it. The challenge is getting to the point of knowing you will be able to win, without forcing yourself to take those final steps. Do you really need to destroy those last 2 civilizations that are 1/10th as strong as you?

However, I would like to see more middle and late game goals to work towards once you have the survival part pretty much settled. It would certainly keep interest up for the player base. And they don't need to be things to bring the game to an end. If NPCs ever get added, maybe there is a mid-game goal of repairing a large building to attract NPCs to your camp. Maybe there can be late game tech that you can create to keep zombies away from an area to help rebuild a town. Maybe there is a radiated zone that you will have to go into and 'clean' it to recover the land and make it livable again. None of those would bring about an end to the game but certainly would provide options for keeping the play going for a longer time.

Well, I mean you can change it to permanent death if I'm not mistaken. And I'm sure there are many that others that like to play this way. You just gotta find your peeps willing to play with you that way. Me and my roommates like playing to build craziness and gathering. We like that the game doesn't have a specific end. We make it a think to see who had the longest run without dying, but if you die that's fine. And I like that.  

Archived