7D2D on GeForce Now

SgtThompson

It appears GeForce Now is now having to switch to an opt in model, so if devs haven't opted in by the 31st, their games will no longer work with GeForce Now.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/27/21272558/nvidia-geforce-now-opt-in-agreement-game-developers-publishers-licensing-cloud-gaming

So, has The Fun Pimps opted in? I ask because I bought this game for a friend, and his first time playing was yesterday via GeForce Now. I'd hate to have paid for the game for a whopping 4 days of fun.

Good news, it appears TFP have Opted In after all.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5026

I also just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone at The Fun Pimps for doing the right thing. A lot of other publishers are choosing greed over the happiness of their customers, so it's heartwarming to see that the developers I've advocated for over the years have their priorities straight. Again, thank you very very much!

4 hours ago, SgtThompson said:

A lot of other publishers are choosing greed over the happiness of their customers

I don't understand where the greed is in opting out of this service. It limits your customer base if you choose not to participate.

In fact, opting-in to the service would potentially increase sales, because you can offer your game on a platform that will reach millions of people that cannot afford to buy a nice PC, but would like to play high-end PC games.

On 5/31/2020 at 2:56 PM, SylenThunder said:

I don't understand where the greed is in opting out of this service. It limits your customer base if you choose not to participate.

In fact, opting-in to the service would potentially increase sales, because you can offer your game on a platform that will reach millions of people that cannot afford to buy a nice PC, but would like to play high-end PC games.

Granted, this is an assumption, but I'm not alone in thinking this way. If removing the game from a service like this shrinks their potential customer base, why would so many publishers/developers do it? Usually when something like this happens, there's money changing hands somewhere and/or they're trying to back another service they think will net them more money. I expect that's Stadia.

Having said all that, the purpose of my post wasn't to put down other publishers/developers, even though I very much disagree with other publisher/developers' decisions to pull their library off of GeForce Now. The purpose was simply to thank you and TFP as a whole for making a decision that benefits your customers.

On 5/31/2020 at 11:56 PM, SylenThunder said:

I don't understand where the greed is in opting out of this service.

You are basically right, however there are three possible points why publisher may not want this.

1. (virtual) greed, because a third party earns money "through" your game. It's said that the service won't work without the games. Of course you could also charge hardware manufacturers because without your game nobody would buy their hardware, but the relation here is more direct

2. The publisher has, plans or wants to keep the option open to start an own streaming service and then wants his games exlusive on his streaming service. With that geforce now is a competitor.

3. Publisher forbid execution in virtualized environments in general. That's what blizzard said and referred to their EULA. They say it is needed for cheating protection because you could easily cheat in a virtualized environment with out an anti-cheat software being able to notice it. But geforce now doesn't work without virtualizing.

Archived