Research Poll - Single-Player Game default MaxSpawnedZombies

Boidster

Single-Player Game MaxSpawnedZombies Setting  

14 members have voted

1. 1. In your single-player (not dedicated server) game, what is the DEFAULT value of MaxSpawnedZombies (console command 'gg')?

• NO MODS - MaxSpawnedZombies=64
    • NO MODS - MaxSpawnedZombies=60
    • WITH MODS - MaxSpawnedZombies=64
    • WITH MODS - MaxSpawnedZombies=60

Please help me figure out why some people (like me) report a default MaxSpawnedZombies value of 60, and others report a default value of 64.

• Single-player, non-dedicated-server games only, please
  • Do not respond if you manually changed the value at any point, in any save game (the game remembers the setting across SP saves, so by changing it you no longer have the default value even in a brand new save)

If you use mods, it would be helpful if you could list them in a reply. Thanks!

Edit to add: responding to my own poll, I run SMX UI, the CreaturesPack, and some custom modlets which add a little brass into the world and increase biome spawn rates.

Well, I found the single-player setting location for Windows at least. Explains why all single-player games get the same value, i.e. if you change it in save game A, the value will also change for save game B.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\The Fun Pimps\7 Days To Die\MaxSpawnedZombies_h1091629070

To be clear, if you use console command 'sg MaxSpawnedZombies 99', for example, the above registry value will change to 99. And all single-player games will then have 99 max spawns.

i have tested this a few times by deleting any and all references to saved options via registry and gameoptions file now even states all info is registry saved.

each time i get a fresh build and when i start a sp game my output log shows 60

BTW.. i accidently clicked on nomods 64 but was suppose to be 60.

reg= "MaxSpawnedZombies_h1091629070"=dword:0000003c

as i noted... i delete registry and everytime it rebuilds with new game install i still get 60 as the setting. beats me where its stored or just maybe hardcoded... but doesnt explain why some get 64.

Thanks unholyjoe. I installed completely fresh on a virgin Windows box (never even had Steam on it before) and the registry shows 64. I did start a new game, but I was on Remote Desktop so I couldn't actually get the in-game view up to use the console command. It got to "Loading Character" and then the screen went blank. To be expected, when trying to run over RDP. It's a headless server so RDP is all I got.

It's very weird, this MaxZombieSpawns setting...

Oooh, I just had a thought. What if the 60 is a holdover - maybe a typo - from an earlier Alpha that got stuck into the registry and never changed? So very recent installs have the (correct) value of 64, but older installs (like mine, first installed with A17) are carrying the old 60 value.

40 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Oooh, I just had a thought. What if the 60 is a holdover - maybe a typo - from an earlier Alpha that got stuck into the registry and never changed? So very recent installs have the (correct) value of 64, but older installs (like mine, first installed with A17) are carrying the old 60 value.

Could be a possibility. I purchased and installed the game within the last couple of months (I'm one of the 4 unmodded 64 max alive votes).

this setting is also found in my serverconfig.xml:

<!-- Performance related -->
	<property name="MaxSpawnedZombies"				value="64" />				<!-- This setting covers the entire map. There can only be this many zombies on the entire map at one time. Changing this setting has a huge impact on performance. -->
	<property name="MaxSpawnedAnimals"				value="50" />				<!-- If your server has a large number of players you can increase this limit to add more wildlife. Animals don't consume as much CPU as zombies. NOTE: That this doesn't cause more animals to spawn arbitrarily: The biome spawning system only spawns a certain number of animals in a given area, but if you have lots of players that are all spread out then you may be hitting the limit and can increase it. -->
	<property name="ServerMaxAllowedViewDistance"	value="12" />				<!-- Max viewdistance a client may request (6 - 12). High impact on memory usage and performance. -->

I guess, it will be restored from here, if you'll delete your registry keys...

Archived