No Auto-Reload

Zenji_

One mechanic that has bugged me for a long time: when I have a scope active, and I fire my last shot, the client automatically disables the scope, reloads, and enables the scope again. It takes too ling and involves too many automated steps. I’d like to see a way to disable this, or at least let the scope remain active during the reload. 

Can't say that I agree with you there. Have you ever reloaded a rifle while still looking down the scope? I know it's impossible for most, if not all, without having a 3rd hand, as holding the rifle up to keep looking down the scope takes one hand, one hand to grab the empty magazine while another releases said magazine, and to be able to fit a full magazine into the rifle without looking (you're looking down the scope) with one fluid movement. Most combat games behave this way too (at least the ones I've played) as it's what any professional would do in real life.

Haven't tried it. but assume hold right button won't put you back in scope if you let go when reloading.

Edit: Didn't they change it so it doesn't reload if you dont try to fire when gun is empty? Just keep track of ammo, solved.

Auto reload should be optionally disabled completely.

I don't even know for sure if it auto reloads after last bullet fired or only if you pull the trigger again, but i had the issue many times that i shot the magazin empty and when it was empty i'd like to RUN, but then this moron starts to auto-reload what slows down running speed, just when i tried to escape.

8 hours ago, redneckraccoon said:

I was playing and creeping thru a POI when I realized why having auto load fully disabled might not be a good thing. Using the crossbow, can you imagine how much of a pain it is to manually reload in between shots, especially with multiple zombies?

Maybe have an exception for weapons that only have one shot per reload. With a bow or a crossbow i expect a reload after every shot, i also keep distance to my targets.

Completely different to e.g. a double barrel shotgun. It is basically a close range weapon, meaning Zs are already near to you when you shoot at them. But you only have two shots until a very time consuming reload. What i noticed yesterday, at least you can interrupt the reload by changing the weapon. On the other hand, you can interrupt the reload also when it was almosed finished. If you change weapons a little to early reload is still interrupted and when you switch back you wonder why the weapon is still not loaded.

And i said: Disable it OPTIONALLY, not remove it from the code completely.

I was merely pointing out flaws to help revise your idea. I'm still agreeing with you about the option. I like discussing and evolving an idea, and as such pose no ill intent. I would consider perhaps the idea of turning auto reload off for anything more than perhaps 1 or 2 shots, or maybe instead having the auto reload toggle option for merely guns. As for that double barrel shotgun, that thing has major pros and cons which make it hard for me to decide on a stance either way for it at the moment. The bandoleer mod, combined with perks removes that big con it has with the lengthy reload that make me want to classify it with the rest of the guns, but without those "buffs" I kinda want it to auto reload like the bow class. I tend to only use it when I know I won't be overrun by zombies but want a single, decisive kill at a time. As such, I'm actually manually reloading it to keep those 2 shots topped up just in case. Just one more  in the no auto reload for all guns column of my indecision on the double barrel shotgun. I would like to hear your thoughts on what I've put forth in this reply

The db shotgun is just the extreme example where i don't like auto reload even tough it has only two shots.

Surley auto reload depends on your playstile. I use the DBS according to the situation (and usually only until i have pump gun). Most times i use it in the opposite way like you do. DBS for me is the backup "@%$*#! you" weapon if i encounter an unexpected amount of Zs or was surprised by a strong zombie and want to take down 1-2 of them fast. And at this point it is merely only "two shots and then run", that means in combat situations i use it, i will most likely never reload it during the combat. However the autoreload can mess up the "and then run" part. ;)  But as already said you can atleast stop the reload by switching to another item. So yes, the autoreload is not that bad if you have changing weapons in mind.

I also think, most other games do auto reload. But i recently played some games that don't, maybe that changes my view a little bit.

16 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I also think, most other games do auto reload. But i recently played some games that don't, maybe that changes my view a little bit.

I've played a few myself, though I think the ones I have were more focused on guns and considered melee just a secondary, never main, weapon. Don't remember for sure, but I think those games also didn't have single shot weapons either. I do use any gun, including DBS as my "I'm coloring my britches brown" gun until I can get an M60. Really, the whole crux of the issue is the bow weapons (and that cursed blunderbuss). The DBS is hard to say which side of the column it sits. So far, I still think that only weapons that have more than 2 shots should have the no auto reload option toggle (yes, I still prefer auto for DBS). Isn't the pump shotgun even longer to load? Been a while since I've used one in this game and I might be confusing the reload times in 7D2D with Fallout 76. I've been playing both recently since the wastelanders update to 76 finally made it a lot more enjoyable to me.

I understand that you can’t load a gun while looking down its scope and that’s fine. So don’t auto-load at all.  Here is my problem:

I one-shot sneak kill something with a hunting rifle. One shot chamber. It descopes me, reloads, scopes me, then I have to descope manually. Happens the vast majority of kills. Drives me nuts. How bout I shoot and kill. Manually descope, then load as I walk on. Much better for me. 

18 hours ago, Zenji_ said:

Best solution is to make it a configurable option in an options menu.  

I second this^. At least then if I manually reloaded with zombies bearing in on CQ, it would be my own fault that I was dogpiled on... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 5:56 AM, Zenji_ said:

One mechanic that has bugged me for a long time: when I have a scope active, and I fire my last shot, the client automatically disables the scope, reloads, and enables the scope again. It takes too ling and involves too many automated steps. I’d like to see a way to disable this, or at least let the scope remain active during the reload. 

Anyone who doesn't agree with this post, start a perception build with the hunting rifle and see how long you last without getting pissed off.

• 3 weeks later...

With the Hunting Rifle, it auto-reloads when you fire the last (only) shot. Interestingly, this auto-reload does not happen with the Marksman Rifle in the same rifle. It does not auto-reload on the last shot. It allows you to attempt to fire again, you get a *click* of an empty chamber, then the auto-reload happens. Still auto-reloading, but a lot less annoying.

That said, I stand by a configuration option to disable it entirely. I want to be able to do it myself. For those who like it, more power to you, you can keep it. But it's not for me.

• 1 month later...

Archived