One minute at a time 7 days to die d3d11.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

SimplyGrass

Final Edit: I am not paying them to let me fix their game for them. I have spent four days scouring for a solution. I've tried maybe a hundred different remedies, load orders, drivers, and states of Windows. I wiped my entire system today of everything, just for a chance that default settings could remedy the situation for nothing. I am done. All this is now, is a $30 anger simulation where you are the IT department for a "game development" company because they didn't account for a new driver or windows update. This game for me is genuinely unplayable right now with no active signs that they will fix it or help me.

Thank you to the community that has attempted to help me quite a few times over the past week-ish. You guys are great, but at some point you should step back and say, "Should a regular customer of a product be forced to understand Unity, programming, and GPU interactions to even have a chance at making the product work, or should the company be responsible for making a product that isn't rendered useless for eternity because I might have left Windows updates on one time?" I know that's harsh, but for anyone picking up the game new (as a lot of people are with COVID), it will simply be a quick return to get their money back because they certainly won't fool around with this game as long as I have to make it work.

I'm leaving all of this information up for the sake of they might prove me wrong and need this info to work on the problem, but at this point it might just be wishful thinking.

I'm providing the error log

( https://pastebin.com/4H1rmjgY )

and the output log

( https://pastebin.com/urxFCAaG ) .

Notably has pipeline errors and shader errors. Also some of the stacks look funky to me from the output log, but I don't know a lot about programming.

Other discussion with more "narrative" info: ( https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/1/ ), but the short is I cant get the game to keep running. Crashes after 30sec-5min after every start regardless of quality (usually have pretty good FPS). Locks up the game, rarely produces a crash report either (or at least one where they are supposed to go). There isn't a "trigger" action or movement that causes this either.

I have Windows10, GTX 1060 with current drivers, and an i7. Everything has been updated, uninstalled/reinstalled, tried every option instead of DirectX11, tried the 32-bit download (but it keeps pulling errors) and I don't know how I broke her.

Can anyone help? This is my second day trudging through this error and it would be much appreciated. I will throw a dollar or two at you on venmo if you can help me fix this.

I will be watching this closely and am more than happy to provide more info if needed.

Edit 4/16: Additional things were tried-

av and overlays is also a good hint. win10 has a built-in overlay too (game bar, can be found and disabled in settings)

if memory is fine you can also check integrity of your os files:

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

None have solved this problem yet

Appears to be a driver issue. Roll back to the previous driver version.

I have installed four different driver versions today, I can't seem to find one that works. Do you or anyone have a suggestion for what iteration of Nvidia driver I should be trying/using?

Is your pagefile set to be managed by windows or is it static? It should be set to be automatically managed for this game to work.

From line 11: 5982 MB process peak paging file [5952 MB used]

I'm not sure where I would go to find/augment that. I did not actively change that. Where would I go to change that?

EDIT: Figured it out, I have 16gigs installed so I bumped up my virtual RAM to 24 (1.5x my physical) and it is still crapping its shorts, same for automatic allocation.

These log lines sound interesting :

d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x1 mode 0 size 96) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x2 mode 0 size 12) [0x887A0005]

According to Microsoft's error code documentation, the hex number stands for DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, which points to some kind of graphcis driver crash/reset.

I think there are more or less these options :

1. Some component of your PC, such as the power supply (PSU), GPU, CPU, RAM causes stability issues.
    First, I'd check CPU and GPU temperatures with tools like HWiNFO. If these go above ~70°C / whatever°F in that short timeframe you mentioned, then cooling is most likely the culprit.
    Other than that, you could test system stability with random games, GPU benchmarks or CPU burn-in tests like Prime95 (keep a close look on temperatures for these and keep task manager open just in case) . Another potential troubleshooting step is downclocking your GPU. Overclocking tools such as MSI Afterburner allow you to change the power target. If you lower it by a couple %, the GPU should 'use' less power and subsequently reduce its clock speeds. If that fixes the crash, the most likely culprits are PSU and GPU. If your GPU has several power connectors, make sure you use separate cables from the PSU.
  2. The driver crashes due to some funky game/engine behaviour or just thin air. In that case, the only thing you could do is to try different GPU driver versions (older / newer) [Edit: Windows Updates may here and there cause issues, too].
  3. Something goes wrong with the interaction of the integrated graphics (on your i7) and the dedicated GPU. I think it should work fine these days, but I'd make sure the display cable is plugged into the dedicated GPU and not the motherboard and update the integrated graphics drivers (which Windows Update should normally take care of, but you never know).
  4. Windows needs a reinstall (though I doubt it would help in this case)

The d3d11 errors look like a driver issue as Sylen already said. I know you've reinstalled drivers already but that could

still be the issue. Another player recently had a similar issue and reported back that this driver fixed it for him; 442.74.

I would suggest uninstalling your drivers with DDU. When you reboot after the uninstall,

Windows will ask to install a driver. Say NO and nstall the new driver from Nvidia.

The d3d11 errors look like a driver issue as Sylen already said. I know you've reinstalled drivers already but that could

still be the issue. Another player recently had a similar issue and reported back that this driver fixed it for him; 442.74.

I would suggest uninstalling your drivers with DDU. When you reboot after the uninstall,

Windows will ask to install a driver. Say NO and nstall the new driver from Nvidia.

Hey, tried that. Still doesn't work. I am giving up.

Use the NVIDIA driver removal tool as NVIDIA drivers do not uninstall any other way.

A driver on your system is bad and due to using NVID hardware, they dont remove their software when you install new drivers.

Thus- you have a corrupt driver on your PC and windows cannot remove it.

You must use a 3rd party program, remove ALL previous driver versions and install ONLY the current, good driver. (Not an issue on AMD devices)

THEN should be gucci.

100% this is a driver issue, not a 7d2d issue tho so if you cant figure it out with our help, youll need to contact them to fix your driver for you ;)

Archived