Anyway to plant grass?

Sjustus548

I've taken over a junk yard and want to replace the gravel ground with grass to make it look nicer. Topsoil will just turn it back in to gravel. I've tried the Forest Ground block but it just looks like dirt. The grass seed just seems to plant a small tuft of grass on the dirt. Will this eventually spread green grass around?

Turns out the ground will default to whatever the building or biome you are currently standing on uses. This junk yard has gravel ground so it doesn't matter if I put dirt, sand, snow, or whatever it will look like gravel. If I got to the forest the ground will look like the forest ground. I wonder if this is intentional or not.

Well, that sucks!

Yeah it does. I was able to get the ground to change by making a big crater with some explosions and then filling it back in with Forest Ground. Looked like dirt with no grass but it was a start. Until the surrounding gravel started to slowly turn the dirt back to gravel. It took it over like zombies taking over a city lol.

Search for TopSoil in the crafting menu. You can turn dirt/gravel etc into regular woodland foresty grass. Took me awhile to figure out.

OP specifically mentioned already using topsoil, and it not working, right away in the very first post...

I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous, and I haven't ever checked, but is there a "grass" paint texture? If so, you could paint the ground, or replace the ground with blocks, then paint the ground.

Search for TopSoil in the crafting menu. You can turn dirt/gravel etc into regular woodland foresty grass. Took me awhile to figure out.

Look at at what Scyris posted just above you. Unfortunately, TopSoil is hardcoded to be whatever the splatmap has determined for that biome. It will change to gravel if gravel is what the map thinks it is supposed to be.

Look at at what Scyris posted just above you. Unfortunately, TopSoil is hardcoded to be whatever the splatmap has determined for that biome. It will change to gravel if gravel is what the map thinks it is supposed to be.

Is this meant to be an improvement?

That would be the new splatmap at work, to make biomes blend better, it kinda is like the zerg creep if you try to use other ground types. It'll go back to what is around it lol.

Thanks for the information. This will make my wife happy because I'll no longer be digging up/blowing up the yard lol.

They should bring the hoe back as a "paint brush" for terrain blocks and then let us paint grass using the hoe...

That is a great idea.

Archived