Learn by doing

iejen

Hi Y'all,

Please note this post is not meant to bash the replacement of LBD.

I just personally love the LBD aspect and it's the main reason why I loved A16 and games as Skyrim.

Now since it's replaced I noticed I am playing 7DTD just less.

I was hoping someone could advise me some other games with LDB.

Prefereably not Japanese style games.

Not really in to that drawing style..

If this post will be deleted, i'm sorry in advance.

Sincerally,

Someone who put 400+ hours in this amazing game but is looking for something else right now.

There are couple of MMOs that do this, but as you can expect, its just infinite grind.

Mortal Online(least grindy)

Albion Online(most grindy) wold be 2 examples.

Pretty much all of survival games I know gate everything by levels or resources, teching or schematics.

There is also Skyrim and ESO and Fallout 1,2,3.

That's pretty much it.

Its not exactly popular thing, because its nothing else then spread out grind.

I think they could/should reimplement a LBD for some stuff, in addition to the existing systems. It was mostly removed because of spam crafting or inconsistencies (like walking over cactus to raise armor leveling), but with a more narrow scope it could work. Mostly regarding damage, but also athleticism :

- block damage increased when you level up by... doing block damage

- melee damage

- bow / crossbow damage

- machine gun / shotgun (...) damage

- stamina consumption when running / jumping

etc...

Basically all the stuff that can not be spammed but would still make a difference in game. Leave the armors, crafting, everything that can be cheesed out of it. And apply very small boosts. Maybe each ot those can go up to level 20, with each level granting 1% more block/melee/whatever damage, and making the experience needed exponentially bigger with each level.

There was a mod that did this in A17.

Oh, there is also Kenshi, which I highly recommend.

I think they could/should reimplement a LBD for some stuff, in addition to the existing systems. It was mostly removed because of spam crafting or inconsistencies (like walking over cactus to raise armor leveling), but with a more narrow scope it could work. Mostly regarding damage, but also athleticism :

- block damage increased when you level up by... doing block damage

- melee damage

- bow / crossbow damage

- machine gun / shotgun (...) damage

- stamina consumption when running / jumping

etc...

Basically all the stuff that can not be spammed but would still make a difference in game. Leave the armors, crafting, everything that can be cheesed out of it. And apply very small boosts. Maybe each ot those can go up to level 20, with each level granting 1% more block/melee/whatever damage, and making the experience needed exponentially bigger with each level.

There was a mod that did this in A17.

LBD is not coming back to 7d under any way shape or form, that's pretty much set in stone by devs, it was experiment and they didn't liked it. It was system that rewarded you for massive waste of materials.

Its not exactly popular thing, because its nothing else then spread out grind.

I disagree with this assessment. If you play a game normally, the skills you use often will be the ones that improve faster. The grind only comes into it if you artificially spam a skill that you would not otherwise have used much. And if that is the case why bother spamming it to high levels when you rarely use it? I know there are exceptions - such as crafting a million simple Daggers in Skyrim - but that's the player's fault for breaking his own experience. In general I feel LBD is a far superior and organic mechanic than the alternatives and it results in character growth that feels real.

In 7 Days, for example, the fact that I can mine all day, level up because of it, and thus get better at Cooking as a result, is incredibly dumb and immersion braking.

I disagree with this assessment. If you play a game normally, the skills you use often will be the ones that improve faster. The grind only comes into it if you artificially spam a skill that you would not otherwise have used much. And if that is the case why bother spamming it to high levels when you rarely use it? I know there are exceptions - such as crafting a million simple Daggers in Skyrim - but that's the player's fault for breaking his own experience. In general I feel LBD is a far superior and organic mechanic than the alternatives and it results in character growth that feels real.

In 7 Days, for example, the fact that I can mine all day, level up because of it, and thus get better at Cooking as a result, is incredibly dumb and immersion braking.

Lets be honest, literally no one "plays normally" in games with that feature, unless its such a massive grind you just can't do it in a day.

In context of a16, literally no one "played normally", but min maxed spam crafted stuff to have Q6 items before first horde.

If you played a16 any other way, you simply didn't knew better.

Thing is, the idea of LBG works exclusively if its gated behind MASSIVE grind that's unobtainable for weeks to months to max it out, otherwise you'll end up with min-maxer style of A16.

Lets be honest, literally no one "plays normally" in games with that feature, unless its such a massive grind you just can't do it in a day.

In context of a16, literally no one "played normally", but min maxed spam crafted stuff to have Q6 items before first horde.

If you played a16 any other way, you simply didn't knew better.

Thing is, the idea of LBG works exclusively if its gated behind MASSIVE grind that's unobtainable for weeks to months to max it out, otherwise you'll end up with min-maxer style of A16.

Literally noone:

me: plays normally

Just because you can't restrain yourself, don't assume nobody can. And if you read what I said above, LBD could come back for anything not doing by spamming... like popping zeds.

Literally noone:

me: plays normally

Just because you can't restrain yourself, don't assume nobody can. And if you read what I said above, LBD could come back for anything not doing by spamming... like popping zeds.

Completely agree. I played with 3 others back then and none of us had the urge to spam grind. It's too boring for one thing. Believe it or not I always avoid exploits that ruin the game experience. I don't see the point. Didn't use stealth in A16, didn't use infinite loops in A17 etc

This. This really hurt my experience when a17 dropped. Plus the new attribute trees locking weapons...I had to play Stardew Valley whilst listening to asmr for 2 weeks. Terrible time in my life.

I disagree with this assessment. If you play a game normally, the skills you use often will be the ones that improve faster. The grind only comes into it if you artificially spam a skill that you would not otherwise have used much. And if that is the case why bother spamming it to high levels when you rarely use it?

I recall running around upgrading POI wood blocks to level up construction tools so I could have concrete. I didn't really want to build anything huge, just wanted a few blocks of concrete...and it really sucked playing like that.

Archived