All those bones - Let's use them

gcomerfo

I request that the bones we collect from animals and occasionally from zombies be used as an alternate recipe for wood spikes (well, just spikes). It could be the same recipe with format, but with 9 bones. I figure if they are good enough to become a bone shiv, they should be good enough as a spike. I hate seeing all of them go to waste, and I rarely ever use a bone shiv anyway so the alternate use would be nice. Plus, then you could craft some spikes if you are low on wood, like in a city, but keep getting bones from dogs.

This was one of the things I really felt let down by with Alpah 9 came out. They didn't do anything with the bone problem. The least they could have done was drop the bone drop rate to next to nothing since it's just really a waste right now. But there are so many thing that we could make out of bone. Like more arrow heads for out bolts.

This game has so much useless stuff, which is a great thing. Because it means there is a lot of stuff. But it should not be so useless. I am thinking this could be improved by adding a lot more crafting recipes. Perhaps trap tarps out of plant fibers.

I actually think the way things are right now kind of makes sense... I mean... no one would ever use a bone shiv unless their main melee weapon just broke and are stuck with either gun or punch... so having it overly abundant is good and at the same time, realistic. I see nothing wrong with seeing a lot of "garbage" stuff that we all walk away from and never loot... like moldy bread... there's only so many stacks of bread we'll collect before realizing even 1 stack of it is overkill. The over abundance of junk just helps make the world feel a little more plentiful with items rather than looting an animal which miraculously has no bones at all... And they don't really need too much purpose because realistically, no one wants to use a bone as a weapon unless they're desperate... cuz bones are gross... with all that blood and guts and stuff.

The problem with Bones is that they don't stack, so even if the did have a use, I'd always discard each one I found immediately. With inventory slots so preciously few, I [I]cannot ever[/I] be arsed to carry around something that has a stack limit of [I]one[/I].

[QUOTE=QicCa;122939]I'm utilizing bones, water and empty cans for cans of stock so I can recycle them to something usable. It seems to allow stacking bones in [I]campfire[/I], just place bones on top of each other and they "stack".[/QUOTE] ah thats quite cool, im guessing this is a custom recipe yes? would you be willing to share it with us?

[QUOTE=ObjectZero;122903]can I at least have a bone throwing knife?[/QUOTE] Wow... that's actually a great idea, especially since we don't have a throw-able weapon yet. I know I'd carry stacks of throwing bone shivs... I think it would be hilarious to see bone shivs stuck to their face... or crotch area... bone(r) lol.

[QUOTE=LimeyRon;122977]+1 to all of this. Bones can be used for so much, yet we can only use them as clubs and shivs. Also, people boil animal bones to make cheap stews etc. This could become a thing...[/QUOTE] Well I can understand why they don't let us do this yet. "hey this soup tastes funny. Which bone pile you use to make this?" point name less bone pile "oh!....well that's not good" We'd have to name the bones we get from zombies and animals different. I don't want zombie soup.

[QUOTE=ObjectZero;123011]Well I can understand why they don't let us do this yet. "hey this soup tastes funny. Which bone pile you use to make this?" point name less bone pile "oh!....well that's not good" We'd have to name the bones we get from zombies and animals different. I don't want zombie soup.[/QUOTE] I would like to see a reusable bear trap item craftable. Maybe have an ealry version that you can make from sharpened bones, (add an item called sharpened bone or something similar and have it stack, so when you find a bone you craft it and stick it it the stack). The recipe would require sharp bones, planks or sticks for the frame, scrap metal for the "spring" mechanism and plant fibers to tie everything together. This item would do a small amount of damage while locking a zombie in place for a few seconds. This could delay the horde as well as help you score a headshot on that zombie that likes to bob and weave as they walk. To reuse the trap you would simply have to interact with it to reset it, then the next zed that stepped on it would trigger the trap as well.

[QUOTE=ObjectZero;123011]Well I can understand why they don't let us do this yet. "hey this soup tastes funny. Which bone pile you use to make this?" point name less bone pile "oh!....well that's not good" We'd have to name the bones we get from zombies and animals different. I don't want zombie soup.[/QUOTE] :lol: Good point.

[QUOTE=legolas141;123074]I would like to see a reusable bear trap item craftable. Maybe have an ealry version that you can make from sharpened bones, (add an item called sharpened bone or something similar and have it stack, so when you find a bone you craft it and stick it it the stack). The recipe would require sharp bones, planks or sticks for the frame, scrap metal for the "spring" mechanism and plant fibers to tie everything together. This item would do a small amount of damage while locking a zombie in place for a few seconds. This could delay the horde as well as help you score a headshot on that zombie that likes to bob and weave as they walk. To reuse the trap you would simply have to interact with it to reset it, then the next zed that stepped on it would trigger the trap as well.[/QUOTE] Like your idea!

Love all the ideas, = ) <--effectively a useless post but hey, just another forum lurker who loves the idea of being able to make more tools out of things in the world. I've thought about how I could make arrow heads out of the bones and a few other things, but it's already been mentioned prior to this. = )

[QUOTE=Aedaric;123160]Love all the ideas, = ) [SIZE=2][B]<--effectively a useless post[/B][/SIZE] but hey, just another forum lurker who loves the idea of being able to make more tools out of things in the world. I've thought about how I could make arrow heads out of the bones and a few other things, but it's already been mentioned prior to this. = )[/QUOTE] A show of support for a good idea is never a useless post :)

They should let us make bone frame blocks that we can upgrade using bones and animal hides to make shamanistic looking structures. Then once character customization is in we can paint our faces chalk white, shave our heads, and stick smaller bones through our nose, tongue, and ears... Make the zombies run from us in fear!

[QUOTE=Roland;123422]They should let us make bone frame blocks that we can upgrade using bones and animal hides to make shamanistic looking structures. Then once character customization is in we can paint our faces chalk white, shave our heads, and stick smaller bones through our nose, tongue, and ears... Make the zombies run from us in fear![/QUOTE] lmao... I can see that being a very popular mod.

You know... in so many of the zombie movies... there's some sick little guy who just can't help but make furniture out of bones.... imagine a bone chair, table, night stand, bed frame. Yep... I could see people intentionally going out and hunting for bones...

Archived