A silenced 9 mm appears to be louder than a crossbow

ElCabong

Fox, see ZombieSurvivors link in his Edit. There are sound files of bullets passing by downrange :)

They triggered a memory of a training course I went through in the military; live fire M60s (7.62) shooting over our heads as we navigated an obstacle course. At night, in the rain, of course... At the beginning of the course there was a ~15 foot high embankment that led up to the course with all the 'junk'; culvert tubes, razor-wire, pits, etc. We were all stacked up at the base of the wall, then the trainers started up the sirens, boomers, M60s, etc., then the "GO!!". But I remember hearing the bullets zinging by overhead and thinking, "oh ♥♥♥♥! those bastards weren't kidding, this -is- live-fire!". Once you were up onto the course itself the bullet sounds weren't as easy to identify, due to all the other sounds, and the muzzle blasts of the M60s.

And I recall using a snow shovel to clean up all the brass inside the M60 towers. Thousands and thousands of rounds fired. No idea if they still do this now a days, been a few decades, heh :)

nodOn, I agree with you actually. One of the reasons I keep hoping for a .45 ACP pistol to be added. Since the 'normal' .45 ACP round is well under ~1100 fps there isn't a supersonic crack to help wake the zeds.

Though it shouldn't be too hard to make a modlet to add in sub-sonic rounds for both the 9mm & 7.62 rounds.

If the modlet kept to 'rl' then both rounds would wind up being about the same in 'power'. Which wouldn't be a big deal with the 'sneak shot' bonus, but would sure be felt by the Marksman rifle in a non-stealth fight; so we'd get good quick at swapping out ammo types :)

Also consider this: Sneaking and trying to be a ninja without an actual ninja build, is not going to yield the results some look for. If you enter a house on day one with your newbie bow while in stealth there could be issues. With proper perks and gear, you'll see a dramatic difference.

at 15:17 is probably one of the funniest videos I've ever seen about suppressed firearms. It's a 300 blackout bolt action with a fancy suppressor. The loudest things you hear when he fires is the action/firing pin and then the distant sound of the bullet impact. Even with subsonic ammunition and a good suppressor you'll get some bang if you're using a firearm that uses exhaust gases to cycle the weapon.

I don't know... maybe I'm wrong... but it's so hard to tell if the sound demonstrated in the video is from the gunpowder explosion or if it's just the bullet whizzing by. Too bad it wasn't recorded in like 2000fps or something with an oscilloscope to prove 2 separate sounds.

Thinking about the whip from Raiders of the Lost Ark... while not too ear piercingly loud, it's still impressive for a tiny piece of leather. But I'm also thinking about how long does the bullet stay past the barrier... cuz most bullets are only set for a bit past the sound barrier.

Stand down range, about a half a mile away should do it, at a rifle being fired towards your direction. You hear are very loud crack and followed moments later by the gun being fired, the faster the round goes, the louder the little sonic boom. It almost sounded like some firing a .22 rifle next to you.

Archived