New PC player, have some questions

Nazdroid

After loving the game on console but seeing the PC version is a lot better, i've gone and brought a new PC to play the game :rapture: I had a test play at it yesterday and see there's lot more options and will take some time to get to know the game. I have some questions to ask if I could have your help please:

1) Blood Moon count - Is the number you select always going to be this number for every blood moon horde? like if select 8 zombies, even at day 100+ will only 7 zombies appear on the blood moon? I thought that these get larger and harder each moon?

2) Player profile - When you create your own character, does this affect anything? such as stats etc.?

3) Walk, jog, run, sprint, nightmare - I tested some of these out and is there really any difference between jog, run and sprint? using each of these settings, I didn't notice much different and no zombies caught up with me.

4) No Zombie loot? - I killed some zombies and wasn't able to loot any. Is this right?

5) Do they still go for doors still? - If i'm in a house with walls and a door, will the zombies still go for the door first?

6) Zombies dig down - Is this correct? if so, how exactly do they do this? are they able to dig up? like if I had a wooden hatch above a ladder, could they climb the ladder and break the hatch?

7) Zombie jump distance - I remember you can build a ladder a few blocks of the ground then place a box and jump onto it, remove the box then zombies can't get up - does this still work? and if so, how many blocks can they jump?

8) Zombie intelligence. I tested creating a big hole just after the front door in a house, thinking zombies would talk through the door and fall down the hole. Instead they started hitting the walls which looked like they knew they would fall down the hole. Is this correct? they are more intelligent now?

9) Should I play with keyboard/mouse or controller? which one is better?

10) Is there anything I should be aware of about playing this game on PC? like something really useful to know or that I should be careful of doing? Any tips for a beginner PC player.

11) Finally are there any settings or a certain setup when starting a game that is good? like the options you can change at the start like how often the blood moon etc., - are any of these good to set to to make the gamer fun / better?

Many thanks!

After loving the game on console but seeing the PC version is a lot better, i've gone and brought a new PC to play the game :rapture: I had a test play at it yesterday and see there's lot more options and will take some time to get to know the game. I have some questions to ask if I could have your help please:

1) Blood Moon count - Is the number you select always going to be this number for every blood moon horde? like if select 8 zombies, even at day 100+ will only 7 zombies appear on the blood moon? I thought that these get larger and harder each moon?

2) Player profile - When you create your own character, does this affect anything? such as stats etc.?

3) Walk, jog, run, sprint, nightmare - I tested some of these out and is there really any difference between jog, run and sprint? using each of these settings, I didn't notice much different and no zombies caught up with me.

4) No Zombie loot? - I killed some zombies and wasn't able to loot any. Is this right?

5) Do they still go for doors still? - If i'm in a house with walls and a door, will the zombies still go for the door first?

6) Zombies dig down - Is this correct? if so, how exactly do they do this? are they able to dig up? like if I had a wooden hatch above a ladder, could they climb the ladder and break the hatch?

7) Zombie jump distance - I remember you can build a ladder a few blocks of the ground then place a box and jump onto it, remove the box then zombies can't get up - does this still work? and if so, how many blocks can they jump?

8) Zombie intelligence. I tested creating a big hole just after the front door in a house, thinking zombies would talk through the door and fall down the hole. Instead they started hitting the walls which looked like they knew they would fall down the hole. Is this correct? they are more intelligent now?

9) Should I play with keyboard/mouse or controller? which one is better?

10) Is there anything I should be aware of about playing this game on PC? like something really useful to know or that I should be careful of doing? Any tips for a beginner PC player.

11) Finally are there any settings or a certain setup when starting a game that is good? like the options you can change at the start like how often the blood moon etc., - are any of these good to set to to make the gamer fun / better?

Many thanks!

1) That is how many there will be at a time per player up to a max of 64 zombies total no matter what was selected. So on BM1 you will have at most 8 zombies alive and attacking at once and if there are only 20 zombies per wave you will probably get to the end of your bloodmoon very quickly. On BM10 you still will only get 8 zombies at a time but there may be 100 zombies per wave and they will be tougher zombies. You have to decide how many at a time you handle at once.

2) No. There is no difference between any character as far as stats.

3) The difference is slight and the speeds are broken. Should be fixed in A18 coming soon. You will notice the slight difference between jog and run when in tight quarters fighting off sleepers. Out in the open there is little difference to notice other than that if you aren't careful you will often get sucker punched while looting or looking at your map because you thought that zombie was far enough away to take a quick look.

4) Zombies have 3-4% chance of dropping loot. It will be a big bright yellow bag when it happens. You'll definitely know. Otherwise don't waste any time hacking them up or checking them. Kill and move on. It is amazing how quickly you get used to no loot.

5) Zombies go for the cheapest pathway to you with some variations. They no longer target doors specifically. However, doors are often cheap on HP so they will often go for them as opposed to a wall. But placing a door that is not between them and you won't have the same honeypot effect it did in previous versions.

6) Zombies dig down if they detect you below them. They kind of teabag the ground and pound down down down. They will do this through dirt but also through upper floors and stairs. They don't dig up but the do climb on each other and when in a cluster they can sometimes take down a hatch in all the swinging and smashing.

7) Zombies can jump two blocks up and 3+ blocks horizontally depending on the zombie. Spiders jump quite far horizontally. Jumping paths is not AFAIK part of their pathing cost analysis so even if they could leap across a three block gap to get you directly they will often smash through walls to go out on the roof and run over and smash through another wall behind you.

8) They are both smarter and dumber. You will have fun learning their ways and what will and will not fool them. My suggestion is to avoid watching videos on exploiting zombie AI and just try and discover your own ways to foil them. But... as you will. :)

9) Keyboard and Mouse. If you aren't used to it take the time to become used to it. If you are going PC might as well go all the way.

10) Don't be too proud to start on lowest difficulty while learning the controls and the differences between the PC version and console version. There are other options you can choose to make the game easier. Make it super easy and play three days and call it your tutorial. Then start over at default or higher if you like it tougher. Avoid watching videos of what others do. Make your own discoveries. Being inefficient because you are learning will add to the difficulty and is unique survival aspect of the game that eventually goes away forever...

11) As I said go ahead and change settings and play a short game-- but plan to start fresh with a serious game on higher or normal difficulty rather than changing the settings mid game on that save. Some of the settings have proven to bug a game out when changed midstream.

Welcome the the PC version.

Some quick answers:

1) the number you select is zombies on screen per player at one time. Horde night is made up of waves of zombies that draw from a pool of zombie types and total zombie numbers based upon your game stage. Eg the total pool could be 300 zombies, you will essentially get 8 at a time till the total pool is gone.

2) Player profile is just to allow customisation, no different to presents in terms of gameplay.

3) The higher speeds (nightmare) are broken currently, fixed for a18 I believe.

4) zombies have a low % chance of dropping loot bags (yellow backpack/sack)

5) they use pathing calculations rather than targeting doors etc, if it's 'cheaper' to bash the door they will do that but if there is another valid path eg broken window out back, they may path to that instead

6) they essentially attack straight down, so if stationary below ground and within their detection radius they will dig straight down to you. Have not seen them attacking hatches but they may be able to.

7) ladder block, 3 blocks above ground

8) they have much better pathing now

9) cant comment, use m&kb personally

10) don't charge into poi's, be careful till you get more experienced, high gamestage can = lots of radiated and feral zombies

11) I would just stick to defaults initially then change it up once you play a few games

- - - Updated - - -

Haha Rolands reply was not there when I initially started my post...

- - - Updated - - -

Great, thank you guys for answering it! Looking forward to starting a new game, I will have a game on Navesgane first to get the hang of this. I noticed while playing the first test how easily zombies can damage blocks also!

How are Random Gen maps on A17 also?

11: I change my settings a bit, just find the game plays a bit better for how I like to play.... Below are my typical changes

- increase block damage slightly (I up it a bit, to where stone is 4/5 hits to break many blocks, iron 3, steel 2 or 1 modded.

- increase loot to ~150% - on 100% I just find too many empty loot containers. I don’t care about extra stuff in containers, just don’t like finding empty’s over and over

- up zombie difficulty (to make up for the above)

- up blood moon count to 16 or 24 (a bit more fun)

Hi again, few more questions about Attributes and Perks:

- I have to increase Attributes to be able to unlcock certain perks?

- Do I have to spend skill points on increasing my Attributes or can this be done also naturally, e.g. crafing lots of an item?

- Should I focus on leveling up all Attributes evenly or focus on certain ones depending on my play style? e.g. focus on increasing the Intellect and Strength Attributes? If so, is there a limit to how many attributes I should focus on?

- Are there any important Attribtues I should focus on?

- Are there any important Perks I should try get?

Cheers!

Hi again, few more questions about Attributes and Perks:

- I have to increase Attributes to be able to unlcock certain perks?

Yes. There are attribute level gates AND player level gates. Player level gates will be going away in A18.

- Do I have to spend skill points on increasing my Attributes or can this be done also naturally, e.g. crafing lots of an item?

You spend points. There is no passive progression of attributes through repetitive actions. This is often referred to as LBD here in the forums and is a hot topic. In fact, your thread very well may spin off into another LBD discussion thread now that its been brought up.... ;)

- Should I focus on leveling up all Attributes evenly or focus on certain ones depending on my play style? e.g. focus on increasing the Intellect and Strength Attributes? If so, is there a limit to how many attributes I should focus on?

This is totally your choice. Intellect and Strength are important for crafting and melee and harvesting. I'd say just explore and experiment until A18 comes out.

You spend points. There is no passive progression of attributes through repetitive actions. This is often referred to as LBD here in the forums and is a hot topic. In fact, your thread very well may spin off into another LBD discussion thread now that its been brought up.... ;)

I doubt this topic will boil up that high again. I think everyone who hoped that LBD would come back into the game has resigned. But in mods LBD still seems to have a place. Therefore I hope that LBD will remain easy to implement in mods.

Interesting would be a perk system without attributes. That means if I only want Lucky Looter and Salvage Operation I wouldn't have to invest any points in Perception for example.

Archived