About the food system

eXSe

Last night i put a few more points into master chef and holy cow! the food you can make is AMAZING and is no doubt worth it. the hobo stew is probably THE BEST food item to have in the game, followed by the meat stew. This is why it takes roughly 10 minutes per stew to make, it is sooooo worth it. The only thing i see as a negative now is all of the canned food you get in supply crates. I kind of notice that it is lesser the further in the game you get though. Ive finally gotten a rocket launcher with ammo and some med kits rather than just all food.

As much as I hate to say it, I think farming probably needs to be removed from the game.

I love farming, don't get me wrong. But I think it makes food too easily available and removes the need to scavenge, to the detriment of the game. So, I'd rather see the farm crops show up sporadically in the biomes only and have recipes make heavy use of canned foods (without the food poisoning chance that makes them useless right now).

Meat probably needs to be nerfed a bit, too. Eating predators is generally not a great idea - there are dangers associated with it. So maybe wolves and bears shouldn't give meat (if we don't want multiple kinds of meat) or predator meat should come with a health risk. Maybe hobo stew could be made from predator meat and not be such an uber food but just okay, as an idea. Right now, wolf pack hordes are meat delivery services that dwarf all other sources of food.

As much as I hate to say it, I think farming probably needs to be removed from the game.

I love farming, don't get me wrong. But I think it makes food too easily available and removes the need to scavenge, to the detriment of the game. So, I'd rather see the farm crops show up sporadically in the biomes only and have recipes make heavy use of canned foods (without the food poisoning chance that makes them useless right now).

Meat probably needs to be nerfed a bit, too. Eating predators is generally not a great idea - there are dangers associated with it. So maybe wolves and bears shouldn't give meat (if we don't want multiple kinds of meat) or predator meat should come with a health risk. Maybe hobo stew could be made from predator meat and not be such an uber food but just okay, as an idea. Right now, wolf pack hordes are meat delivery services that dwarf all other sources of food.

They may be but a wolf pack also represents a real threat. As such, a good reward is certainly called for.

They may be but a wolf pack also represents a real threat. As such, a good reward is certainly called for.

When a pack of dire wolves becomes something you run toward instead of run away from, I think the reward is probably too good.

When a pack of dire wolves becomes something you run toward instead of run away from, I think the reward is probably too good.

The meat isn't that important to me. I am more interested in the bones. I am also happy about a pack of dogs.

By the way. The wolves and dogs are already enough threat for an average player. I wouldn't know a player who hasn't been killed at least once by a pack of dogs or wolves.

And if you want to abolish farming then only over my dead, reanimated and again killed body. I don't have much desire to wander around in the desert for hours to always have enough aloe to cover my need for healing bandages.

If you are running towards them then it is likely you have passed the point that anything at all is a threat.

At that point, the meat is mostly irrelevant anyway.

If you are running towards them then it is likely you have passed the point that anything at all is a threat.

At that point, the meat is mostly irrelevant anyway.

I suspect I just want the game to be weighted more toward the survival genre and less toward the shooter genre than it is. Food ought to be a consistent pressure that eases up in mid- to late-game but never goes away, and there should be enemies that you never want to encounter unexpectedly because you'll be dead, regardless of weapons, armor and meds.

I suspect I just want the game to be weighted more toward the survival genre and less toward the shooter genre than it is. Food ought to be a consistent pressure that eases up in mid- to late-game but never goes away, and there should be enemies that you never want to encounter unexpectedly because you'll be dead, regardless of weapons, armor and meds.

Meh - I don't want impossible enemies. That really is not that fun. I would like to see more of a survival aspect though and that is directly tied to the reward for killing. Personally I don't think that zeds should give you anything at all - no drops and certainly no experience. Survival is AVOIDING dangers - not running 10 forges for no other reason than summon giant xp bags.

In that respect I understand not liking the wolves all that much though I think that aspect is fine as hunting fits right in with the game. It is the zeds that kill the survival aspect as they are more of a resource than a threat. It is worth noting that them being a resource was cited, iirc, as a good reason to take out general zombie looting.

Meh - I don't want impossible enemies. That really is not that fun. I would like to see more of a survival aspect though and that is directly tied to the reward for killing. Personally I don't think that zeds should give you anything at all - no drops and certainly no experience. Survival is AVOIDING dangers - not running 10 forges for no other reason than summon giant xp bags.

In that respect I understand not liking the wolves all that much though I think that aspect is fine as hunting fits right in with the game. It is the zeds that kill the survival aspect as they are more of a resource than a threat. It is worth noting that them being a resource was cited, iirc, as a good reason to take out general zombie looting.

Not impossible enemies, just enemies that are so dangerous you will always have to weigh significant risk vs the reward before taking them on. I don't feel like there's anything like that in the game anymore (and I'm not a particularly good player). You can become too powerful. It used to feel that way with the cops and ferals because our characters couldn't get uber strong/fast/protected.

I agree that zombies should be a threat, not a resource. Taking loot away from them for that purpose would have been fine, except that they completely negated it by making them experience loot bags instead.

Archived