Game Stage

Seraphim

Hi,

New to the game, my wife however has been playing 7DTD for a while, but she didn't know how Game Stage worked either. My question is, How do you prevent your game stage from ramping up faster than your characters level?

I have read on line that there is some formula used to determine your game stage, which is great. My only issue with it comes in the way of being low level but having a higher game stage which (From what I've read) apparently governs which zombies you encounter through out the world not sure how that works either.

If so, it would seem to me that at lower levels your game stage should reflect that, this way it gives players a chance to progress with out worrying about encountering harder than normal mobs early on before they are ready for the challenge.

Thanks for any replies, Love the game.

GameStage = ( playerLevel + daysSurvived ) * gameDifficultyMultiplier

After this the daysAlive is capped.

It is low-capped at 0, high-capped at "your player level".

E.g. If you are level 5 with 300 days alive, your gs will still be 5-10, depending on your deaths, but capped at 10. In general, it stays within a viable range of your level, so no worries.

The game is bugged at the moment and the game developers have acknowledged that the game stage is bringing the irradiated zombies way too quickly. They have have fixed it in 17.2 but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how it worked, but noticed the other night that my game stage for the level my character was seemed high. After having read a thread on these forums about how game stage is formulated it seemed kind of odd to me that the game stage which governs the difficulty of the Zombies would be higher than the level at which my character was capable of handling, or at the very least handling with a lot of difficulty.

I was talking to my wife about it, and it seemed to make way more sense to me to have your game stage stay close to or right at the players level to allow the player to progress through the game with out having to try and take on zombies that out paced the player. Granted, I know I can go into the settings and change things around, I don't want to do that.

I like the idea of keeping the settings on the standard and playing minus using any form of cheats, but if the zombies out pace my characters advances then at some point it becomes an arms race where I will eventually have to do something in order to survive.

For example, the first game my Wife and I played we both were roaming around scavenging working on a base together. However by the time I made it close to level 20 I had like some stupid high numbers of zombie kills on the standard setting.

Not sure if that also had an effect on my game stage as well.

As an example, our first game I made it to level 25 by just focusing on base building nothing else. Digging, and building, that sort of thing. I didn't even bother with initial tutorial quests yet. My wife, who joined my game was just starting out and she made it to level 2 before she noticed my game stage at level 25 and having only built are base was already level 40.

Which of course started having screamers show up a long with other zombies.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how it worked, but noticed the other night that my game stage for the level my character was seemed high. After having read a thread on these forums about how game stage is formulated it seemed kind of odd to me that the game stage which governs the difficulty of the Zombies would be higher than the level at which my character was capable of handling, or at the very least handling with a lot of difficulty.

I was talking to my wife about it, and it seemed to make way more sense to me to have your game stage stay close to or right at the players level to allow the player to progress through the game with out having to try and take on zombies that out paced the player. Granted, I know I can go into the settings and change things around, I don't want to do that.

I like the idea of keeping the settings on the standard and playing minus using any form of cheats, but if the zombies out pace my characters advances then at some point it becomes an arms race where I will eventually have to do something in order to survive.

For example, the first game my Wife and I played we both were roaming around scavenging working on a base together. However by the time I made it close to level 20 I had like some stupid high numbers of zombie kills on the standard setting.

Not sure if that also had an effect on my game stage as well.

I get what your saying but I think the vision of the game is that it is going to get harder and harder each day regardless if you level or not so that's why days alive is part of the equation. The game is going to amp up in difficulty the more days you survive by design until it kills you.

Game stage as far as I know doesn't effect the number of zombies inside buildings but rather the type of zombie you find. I could be wrong about it though. I don't see the game dev's lowering the zombie spawns inside buildings any time soon but you never know.

Only options that might help for right now is to lower difficulty for easier zombies or turn off the zombies entirely.

I get what your saying but I think the vision of the game is that it is going to get harder and harder each day regardless if you level or not so that's why days alive is part of the equation. The game is going to amp up in difficulty the more days you survive by design until it kills you.

Game stage as far as I know doesn't effect the number of zombies inside buildings but rather the type of zombie you find. I could be wrong about it though. I don't see the game dev's lowering the zombie spawns inside buildings any time soon but you never know.

Only options that might help for right now is to lower difficulty for easier zombies or turn off the zombies entirely.

And that's fine, but it also has to be brought up that that can be very off putting to new players. The fact the developers felt the game needed to have this quirky game stage mechanic in order to ramp up difficulty is odd to me. If you want to increase difficulty base it off the players level. Have it hard coded so that as the players level up the difficulty ramps up as well.

Remove the the ability to alter the game settings per mob difficulty all together.

I think being able to play the game on the standard settings with out having to alter the settings in such a way that it lowers or removes the zombies or difficulty takes away from the spirit of the game. I shouldn't have to resort to enabling cheat mode to survive because my game stage has ramped up so fast that now the type of zombies I am encountering are much harder then the level my character is at.

After this the daysAlive is capped.

It is low-capped at 0, high-capped at "your player level".

Do you know something I don't?

PS: You can find info about any entity groups in prefabs and how they are affected by gamestages in the game's xmls.

The gamestage calculation is bugged in co-op. My friend and I are the same level and have played together every second on our co-op play-through; there was no time whatsoever where one of us was playing and the other was not. The only difference between us is therefore the number of deaths: I have 4, he has 40. Despite this, our gamestages are only 4 apart.

Also remember that playing co-op changes th calculations. If you are Allied-up then the group's gamestage is a weighted amalgamation of everyone in the group's GS. So if you have:

You: gamestage = 300

Your wife: gamestage = 290

The actual gamestage you face is calculated as:

(300 x weight1) + (290 x weight2)

Now I forget the actual weights used here, hopefully someone can look it up and tell us know, but it is something like:

highest player GS = 1.4

next = 1.0

next = 0.8

next = 0.6 and so on

So, this would make it: 1.4 x 300 + 1.0 x 290 = 710

So yeah, 2 or more players who a grouped face MUCH tougher opposition than a solo player.

The gamestage calculation is bugged in co-op. My friend and I are the same level and have played together every second on our co-op play-through; there was no time whatsoever where one of us was playing and the other was not. The only difference between us is therefore the number of deaths: I have 4, he has 40. Despite this, our gamestages are only 4 apart.

Also remember that playing co-op changes th calculations. If you are Allied-up then the group's gamestage is a weighted amalgamation of everyone in the group's GS. So if you have:

You: gamestage = 300

Your wife: gamestage = 290

The actual gamestage you face is calculated as:

(300 x weight1) + (290 x weight2)

Now I forget the actual weights used here, hopefully someone can look it up and tell us know, but it is something like:

highest player GS = 1.4

next = 1.0

next = 0.8

next = 0.6 and so on

So, this would make it: 1.4 x 300 + 1.0 x 290 = 710

So yeah, 2 or more players who a grouped face MUCH tougher opposition than a solo player.

Just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to everyone who responded to my thread, I appreciate the responses. The game is definitely different from what I am use to playing, and it's a breath of fresh air to mix things up in terms of games and style. Really enjoying the game as a whole.

Archived