Combining burnt/wastelands with radiation zones.

RyanX

Seems like an interesting solution. Reduce the number of these annoying patches on the map but make them irradiated. They are clearly marked, it makes sense. Just put a couple interesting resources there to give us a reason to use radiation protection to go in.

Well, it would stand to reason that these wasteland areas were caused by a tactical nuclear weapon targetting main cities to help stem the tide of the infection early which, obviously, failed leaving areas that have been scorched earth destroyed and irradiated. The outer perimeter would be burned due to the extreme heat caused by the explosion. This would put some irradiated cities in the middle of our maps which would require radiation suits to be able to naviage and explore. This concept would accomplish a couple things: 1) actually give a significant use for radiation armor other than scrapping for military fiber to use for making better military armor, and 2) provide some realistic canon as to what happend in the aftermath of the outbreak and the lasting consequences. I remember back in A15 when hub cities were still a thing, the hub city would usually be huge, but it would be pretty much wasteland at the same time, indicating that it had been hit with something massive.

As far as I can tell, a 8km X 8km map typically has about 10-15 cities of varying size from small hamlets to major metro areas. With a little tweaking to the seeding logic, you could easily make it to where your smaller towns were generally safer from the radiation since it would be unlikely they were targetted while your larger cities have a chance to be nearly in complete destruction and irradiated. So if there were 5 or 6 large cities on the map, then maybe half of them would be wasteland cities surrounded by burnt forest. This would create a challenge for those wanting to explore and be consistent with real life ideas of how an outbreak might be handled.

Seems like an interesting solution. Reduce the number of these annoying patches on the map but make them irradiated. They are clearly marked, it makes sense. Just put a couple interesting resources there to give us a reason to use radiation protection to go in.

Are these patches intended?

What's the official word on this stupidity?

Are these patches intended?

What's the official word on this stupidity?

LOL I dunno. I initially spawned right next to one last build. I assume you are talking about the random radiation patches and not the burnt patches. I'm saying just make the burnt patches less frequent but irradiated and eliminate the invisible radiation zones. Problem solved.

LOL I dunno. I initially spawned right next to one last build. I assume you are talking about the random radiation patches and not the burnt patches. I'm saying just make the burnt patches less frequent but irradiated and eliminate the invisible radiation zones. Problem solved.

if they did that they'd have to make coal available elsewhere. It makes sense that burnt land is found all over. Random fires happened and burned small patches (or large) of land since it probably burned uncontrollably. Doesnt solve any of the problems :p the radiation zones arent supposed to be happening with no warning like they are now :/

Archived