Prefab Editor Explained

Slaan

when in the editor press F6, there's a sleeper volume button at the bottom which will place a new box that you can then move around/manipulate. I was doing the manual XML trick for ages before I realised we had the button.

Hi that's useful to know but I'm still having trouble with resizing the sleeper box after its put the default in the game.

I click on it and it turns green, but then shift-G or G now doesn't work with it or even after deselecting it

I can't use shift G or G for reshaping the normal selection box. I can still use Z to make the selection box

but as soon as I've spawned the sleeper box it nerfs me altering any selection boxes.

I'm probably doing something obvious wrong here but can anyone point me in the right direction?

2nd question, I saw Slaans reply on the video about upgrading blocks in the prefab editor using either WSAD or arrow keys.

Again I am unable to get this working, once I select an area of blocks press either set of keys nothing appears to change.

Any other ideas what I'd doing wrong.

I am nearly getting to the finish of my first prefab, just need to upgrade a couple of areas of blocks and add the sleepers in.

Thanks in Advance

Blackrook aka Cactiphile

When you need to rotate a block, you can set the type of rotation, by pressing and holding 'R'.

You can then use the left mouse to rotate the block into the desired rotation and paste with the right mouse like usual.

Had to rotate a corrugated corner such that the rounded corner was at the top, Like in Trailer_park_01. Same way as setting the paint texture for the paint brush.

When you need to rotate a block, you can set the type of rotation, by pressing and holding 'R'.

You can then use the left mouse to rotate the block into the desired rotation and paste with the right mouse like usual.

Had to rotate a corrugated corner such that the rounded corner was at the top, Like in Trailer_park_01. Same way as setting the paint texture for the paint brush.

Thanks I figured that one out, but tricky sometimes as you say where fences /corners meet.

What I was looking for was how to upgrade a selected area of blocks eg concrete >>> reinforced concrete

According to the help menu you can use the WASD keys but this doesn't want to work for me.

Thanks I figured that one out, but tricky sometimes as you say where fences /corners meet.

What I was looking for was how to upgrade a selected area of blocks eg concrete >>> reinforced concrete

According to the help menu you can use the WASD keys but this doesn't want to work for me.

For me, the description in the help, is a little vague. I can only assume you need a modifier to stop the WASD keys being used for player movement. Much like Press and hold G then press WASD to move selection around.

As for the concrete >>> reinforced concrete. I found that the reinforced concrete texture, is a painted surface. Use a paint brush and the r key to select the reinforced concrete texture and paint it on. I assume.

If you place a concrete block , then paint all sides, you will have a block to use for the L (fill selection), in you inventory.

After painting the block, press the R key while you still have the paintbrush active, and move the mouse over the 9 o'clock position "Copy Block". (The focused block is copied)

I found this to work if, in your toolbelt you had the paint brush before the block you where painting AND a blank spot for the newly created block. [EDIT] You just need a blank slot after the brush [\EDIT]

The block is copied into the inventory. Same name, Paintbrush logo on top left.

Hope that helps

For me, the description in the help, is a little vague. I can only assume you need a modifier to stop the WASD keys being used for player movement. Much like Press and hold G then press WASD to move selection around.

As for the concrete >>> reinforced concrete. I found that the reinforced concrete texture, is a painted surface. Use a paint brush and the r key to select the reinforced concrete texture and paint it on. I assume.

If you place a concrete block , then paint all sides, you will have a block to use for the L (fill selection), in you inventory.

Unfortunately I need the actual upgraded reinforced concrete blocks for a safe room rather than the texture. Although you can use a wrench to upgrade one, the concrete doesn't seem to set in the editor. Think I might have a temp solution by copying a block from one the bank prefabs but its a shame that I can't figure out the way to do it properly, as you say its probably a key combination that's not explained properly.

I also found that when you have a selection of terrain, the cursor keys act like the description for WSAD, by reducing the soil from a full block to a half block. Up/Down transition in 10 units, and Left/Right in 1 Unit.

If I select the concrete blocks, with one edge of the selection box running along the terrain, when you press the cursor keys, the concrete doesn't change but the edge of the terrain changes.

I'm not sure what the Density is, but I assume it is partially damaged blocks.

The primary issue I'm having is that I can't figure out how to set the ground level while building so that I can edit the subterranean parts of my prefabs. I have to edit them by using the "move whole prefab up" function, and when I return my prefab to the appropriate level everything below ground level is invisible. Further, when play testing these areas are simply cutoff. I must be missing something obvious as this seems like it would be an important editing feature. I feel silly just for asking.

I think , when creating an underground area, the editor is expecting the designer to fill in the area with dirt, such that there are no air blocks apart from those in the underground section, from the section to the prefab boundary.

Just turn the "Show Ground Level" off.

Have a look at "installation Red Mesa".

I also found that when you have a selection of terrain, the cursor keys act like the description for WSAD, by reducing the soil from a full block to a half block. Up/Down transition in 10 units, and Left/Right in 1 Unit.

If I select the concrete blocks, with one edge of the selection box running along the terrain, when you press the cursor keys, the concrete doesn't change but the edge of the terrain changes.

I'm not sure what the Density is, but I assume it is partially damaged blocks.

Ah I never tried it with terrain blocks, only with wood/concrete. I had assumed from the help, density was referring the hitpoints eg

upgrade path wood > reinforced wood > scrap metal concrete to R concrete etc

I solved my problem by copying the R concrete block from the bank. Oddly these blocks are not in the block browser so must be wrongly tagged in the blocks.xml. If you search R con in the block browswer only 2 reinforced blocks slow up (an 1/8 block or something).

My other problem with altering the zombie sleeper volumes was a bug - the G key was totally locked up and not working, I fixed this by going into the world editor and back into prefab editor. The other bad bug I found is do not try using DECALS1 blocks they lock you up with a console loop - I had to fix in the block in blocks.xml to stop the loop.

Ah I never tried it with terrain blocks, only with wood/concrete. I had assumed from the help, density was referring the hitpoints eg

upgrade path wood > reinforced wood > scrap metal concrete to R concrete etc

I solved my problem by copying the R concrete block from the bank. Oddly these blocks are not in the block browser so must be wrongly tagged in the blocks.xml. If you search R con in the block browswer only 2 reinforced blocks slow up (an 1/8 block or something).

My other problem with altering the zombie sleeper volumes was a bug - the G key was totally locked up and not working, I fixed this by going into the world editor and back into prefab editor. The other bad bug I found is do not try using DECALS1 blocks they lock you up with a console loop - I had to fix in the block in blocks.xml to stop the loop.

You need to press the dev-blocks button for the reinforced concrete to show up in the browser.

FYI - The shape and size of a terrain block is determined by its 'health' state (current damage / max damage), its density and by the density values of surrounding blocks. The health modifies the size of terrain block (shape is hardly affected) and densities modify both values, size and shape.

Unfortunately I need the actual upgraded reinforced concrete blocks for a safe room rather than the texture. Although you can use a wrench to upgrade one, the concrete doesn't seem to set in the editor. Think I might have a temp solution by copying a block from one the bank prefabs but its a shame that I can't figure out the way to do it properly, as you say its probably a key combination that's not explained properly.

I tried it for myself just now. You have to select an area with z, then hit ESC, go to the third tab (Level tool 2). In the middle there is an input field where you have to type the block names (block id's don't work). It's the block name as it is written in the blocks.xml, so no spaces, etc. In your case it would be "concreteBlock" and "rconcreteBlock".

Hopes this help for the next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I've used that to switch some blocks over as well.

Another question I have , is there anyway (eg a key combo) to rotate a 'selection area' on a different axis? - it normal rotates around the y axis, is would be nice if there was a way to do it around the x or z axis.

Hopefully get my first completed prefab on the forum tomorrow - Hurtz End Metro station.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I've been making a castle as a prefab, but I'd like to be a zombie castle. Which mean that I would like to face a zombie army when getting in. In my prefab, there are rougly 400 sleepers in there, but of course they don't spawn in my world. is there a way to change the spawning file or another file to have all sleepers I placed to be in there? oh and another thing is I can't seem to rotate my castle the way I want. It's facing north but I place it at the northern top of the snow biome so I'd like to place it facing south.

• 1 month later...

Question

Due to the amount of questions currently flying around I put together a video going through every single option/menu within the prefab editor. There are still a few grey areas but whether you are just starting out or a pro I think this will be very helpful.

Now that we have good access to these easy-to-use tools ingame, hopefully we'll see the prefab forum swell up over the upcoming months as people who previously were a bit daunted by using third part tools and mods can now jump in on the action.

Prefab Editor Explained - Part One

Prefab Editor Explained - Part Two

Is there a way to use it in a singelplayer Navezgane map?

About Density, the prefab editor only allow to lower it to 0 from 127 which appears to be the default for building blocks. Yet, the Fun Pimps prefabs (ex. store_hardware_lg_01) use bocks with -118 density. When you put a -118 flagstone block beside an asphalt block, there is no gaps between the blocks. I'd like to be able to do the same thing for my prefabs, but I can't find the way to bring the density down to a negative number.

I tried copyin a block with the correct density, but the desity is reset to 127 when I paste it.

Anyone has a clue on what I could do?

Archived