So... Our first 2 a17 hoard nights went badly

rtuite

Our first hoard night we saw the normal mix standard zombies with a couple dogs. Between the improvements to pathing and AI in general, they breached the base in about a minute.We wound up run and gunning in the street outside our base which we abandoned the following morning.

The game is challenging again! I'm so excited about this.

For the second hoard night, we had built a horizontal pole/wedge base with rows of spikes around it that proved effective in a16. This was breached in 30 seconds. Again we were run and gunning in the area outside our base.

Im actually glad that the same tricks don't work. It's keeping the game interesting.

But, to the point of this post... Difficulty scaling. Is it broken or malfunctioning?

Our second base was not breached by normal zombies. We had 3 or 4 radiated cops right off the bat. Followed shortly thereafter by several more cops, radiated spider zombies, and at least 2 radiated feral weights. On top of the regular hoard spawns which are much harder to kill now. These generally don't show up until much later hoards. We wound up having to "God mode" and spawn ammo to kill them because we had just hit the level to get forges and the workbench so we can actually craft ammo. All we had was what we could scavenge from easy POIs that we could take with stone arrows (again, couldn't craft any other ammo).

Our difficulty is set to normal, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. We're going to try scaling it back. We're casual (read: not very good) gamers and that was insanity.

Regarding the level of zombies in the second BM, every indication is that "Yes, that is intended" and I don't believe that the difficulty slider will have much, if any, effect on that. The formula was in another thread, but I believe the GS calculation now ignores Difficulty setting and focuses on level. If you're say level 30 when you hit a BM, you're getting the rough stuff, even on Scavenger.

Here's my Day 21 night...

Shortly before day 21 horde I get visited by a dog pack with accompanying bear.... great way to suck my ammo before the main horde arrives.

Then the horde... radiated wight and cops... multiple deaths

Then right after the horde, another dog pack with 2 bears.

Sigh. Stone arrows vs Boss-level challenges.

Here's my Day 21 night...

Shortly before day 21 horde I get visited by a dog pack with accompanying bear.... great way to suck my ammo before the main horde arrives.

Then the horde... radiated wight and cops... multiple deaths

Then right after the horde, another dog pack with 2 bears.

Sigh. Stone arrows vs Boss-level challenges.

What was your gamestage?

Mine was about 55 on 21st day and I got 1 cop with rest being standard Z's.

I am also get wandering horde spawns 1 hour before bloodmoon and I am not sure if that's a bug or just bad RNG but seems like a weird time to be getting a horde. I'm sure at one point in this game's life wandering horde spawns wouldn't happen around BM time. Maybe I am imagining things.

I find the horde much more challenging (composition / type / quantity of zombies) early game compared to A16.

I also find the AI needs a tweak, because right now a lab rat maze is one of the few (in my view) viable builds since they go through walls so easily.

Stream D7 horde with rat maze, queued up at 21:58 for those interested -->

I like the advanced zombie AI. it's great for normal days.

I feel it does not work for horde night, as all zeds path the same way, to the same spot (weakest) trying to path to where they can get to the player. This means spikes do little unless they HAVE to go through, so around your base is pointless, but in a maze perfect.

Maybe the "pathfinding" for blood moon hordes need to be toned down, and be more of a major assault of mindless crazed zombies, rather than clever rats pathing through mazes. Let them attack to get to the player, not all bunch up, not all go the same corridor. Spread them out.

/V

What was your gamestage?

Mine was about 55 on 21st day and I got 1 cop with rest being standard Z's.

I am also get wandering horde spawns 1 hour before bloodmoon and I am not sure if that's a bug or just bad RNG but seems like a weird time to be getting a horde. I'm sure at one point in this game's life wandering horde spawns wouldn't happen around BM time. Maybe I am imagining things.

I had a couple of deaths due to ferals and whatnot since I'm still getting used to this alpha but my gamestage was still almost 80 by the second horde as I was level 45 and I got a bunch of soldiers Zs, 1 irradiated cop, and 1 irradiated spider zombie. All in all they didn't do much damage and I have a pretty simple design.

Archived