gamestage and progression, punative to crafters for no reason

WolfyBlah

NO!

My issue is that things there were previously an option are no longer an option as part of the new system...

Dude, you are all over the map. I ask a question, the first word of your post is "no," but then you end up saying "yes." WTF? Also, what does any of that have to do what we have been talking about?

For clarity im not saying that i want the forge gated by the forge ahead book, or forging molds back, or anything of the sort, im asking for options.

Ita kind of insulting to be honest, Perk system so we can make 'Choices' affecting how our game plays out, can choose to deal 10% more damage omg thats amazing./S

my choices on how much damage zombies deal, thier hit points, thier behaviour, how much damage the player deals. Used to be made in the game menu

How hard would some of these options be to add (back) into the menu?

- Zombie spawning (what can/cant), damage, hitpoints, behaviour (running, do cops explode? Do zombies jump? Dig? Punch the player or grab them (iv always hated that these zombies want to punch us to death, wouldnt it be cool if there was an option for them to punch us OR grab and bite us?)

-RPG system: off, default, mod1, mod2 (this could ne expanded to 'rulesets')

-Harvest system: on/off

-Biome options, conditions, biome dithering (why hasnt this been re-added, biomes used to blend slowly together and the last few alphas took a step back to jagged lines between them

-crafting & loot timers

as you add a new feature add a way to turn it on/off and assosiated options to it. We have seemingly less and less options as each new alpha adds new features...

Dude, you are all over the map. I ask a question, the first word of your post is "no," but then you end up saying "yes." WTF? Also, what does any of that have to do what we have been talking about?

Is my *only* problem that they are doing this in alpha? No

Is that part of my issue? Yes

The rest? They are focusing developement time on balancing a leveling/RPG system that ls just going to modded anyway. instead of cool featutes that add more options (and more things for mods to create alternative and re imagined content for)

improve electricity and allow us to make more moving pieces (an odd numbered draw bridge would be amazing, trains and a subway system under a city would make a sick addition to the game.,elevators

(cool for POIs, quests, cool for builders)

Is my *only* problem that they are doing this in alpha? No

Is that part of my issue? Yes

The rest? They are focusing developement time on balancing a leveling/RPG system that ls just going to modded anyway. instead of cool featutes that add more options (and more things for mods to create alternative and re imagined content for)

improve electricity and allow us to make more moving pieces (an odd numbered draw bridge would be amazing, trains and a subway system under a city would make a sick addition to the game.,elevators

(cool for POIs, quests, cool for builders)

So why do we have a whole thread which, ostensibly, is about one alpha's (supposed) punishment of crafters? (And who says that they aren't working on those other things?)

So why do we have a whole thread which, ostensibly, is about one alpha's (supposed) punishment of crafters? (And who says that they aren't working on those other things?)

Because this alpha is punishing for cafters.

It just also happens to havehighlighted other issues.

"Buuu you can edit XML"

So lets says say i want to remove crafting timers from the game, when i bourght the game it was an option in the main menu, now it requires changing every single crafting recipe in the game.

Okay and i want to change zombies that spawn and thier behaviour, used to be able to set them to never run with a simple option, now... have to remove every feral zombie, footballers, ect.

WolfyBlah,

I'll be first in line cheering if more and more of the games mechanics - even core mechanics like zombie behaviour - are moved into the XML's (by the way, some of what you're talking about can be done in the XML's already) - but unfortunately, some things will always be beyond that scope.

Hopefully, as the game approaches Gold TFP will spend some time deliberately moving into the XML's what they reasonably can, but I don't know whether there is any specific plan for doing this.

Because this alpha is punishing for cafters.

And yes id be fine with TFP turning around and saying at release 'we settled on it taking this long to make a forge' because after release people can mod the game anyway they wish.

Except you said that you would be fine with the same "punishments" at Gold because people can mod it. People can mod it now (but you had a serious problem with that). Do you have any credibility right now in your criticisms?

WolfyBlah,

I'll be first in line cheering if more and more of the games mechanics - even core mechanics like zombie behaviour - are moved into the XML's (by the way, some of what you're talking about can be done in the XML's already) - but unfortunately, some things will always be beyond that scope.

Hopefully, as the game approaches Gold TFP will spend some time deliberately moving into the XML's what they reasonably can, but I don't know whether there is any specific plan for doing this.

Regardless Oz, some off the things that once where and option no longer are, even through tweaking the XML, hense my statment in the OP about feeling sort of like the victim of a bait and switch.

Having more and more options in XML is great by the way but they NEED a graphical represtation in game, its unfair to expect all people who bu the game to learn xml in order to change settings.

TFP have recoded a bunch of ♥♥♥♥ between A16 and now to make things tweakable via XML... what a missed opportunity, the steam workshop exsists and ignoreing the benifit it would bring is short sighted at best.

Except you said that you would be fine with the same "punishments" at Gold because people can mod it. People can mod it now (but you had a serious problem with that). Do you have any credibility right now in your criticisms?

We are currently in alpha, beta is the peroid of stress testing and balancing before relase of a full, finished product. Honestly i have not understood TFPs decision on this one, 'yeah we are saying its a fullrelase but not adding some of the kickstar goals until afterwards'

Regardless Oz, some off the things that once where and option no longer are, even through tweaking the XML, hense my statment in the OP about feeling sort of like the victim of a bait and switch.

Having more and more options in XML is great by the way but they NEED a graphical represtation in game, its unfair to expect all people who bu the game to learn xml in order to change settings.

TFP have recoded a bunch of ♥♥♥♥ between A16 and now to make things tweakable via XML... what a missed opportunity, the steam workshop exsists and ignoreing the benifit it would bring is short sighted at best.

How much the Pimps decide to put into a in-game config menu is up to them of course, but it will always only be a subset of what can be changed in the XML's. I do agree, major options should be in there (though, there will be always differing opinions on what counts as "major"), but for people wanting to really tweak their game settings, the XML's is always going to be the place to go (and indeed, some DLL editing if you want to get really down into the nitty gritty of it all).

Hopefully, some time before Gold, they'll rework and expand the in-game settings menu though.

...its unfair to expect all people who bu the game to learn xml in order to change settings.

I don't suspect that they do expect that. I suspect that they expect people to like the game as it is (when it goes Gold, that is). I mean, there are some aspects that I don't like right now, but I don't care to change the xml files. I figure I will wait until the game is complete and see where things are.

...what a missed opportunity, the steam workshop exsists and ignoreing the benifit it would bring is short sighted at best.

Who says they are ignoring it?

How much the Pimps decide to put into a in-game config menu is up to them of course, but it will always only be a subset of what can be changed in the XML's. I do agree, major options should be in there (though, there will be always differing opinions on what counts as "major"), but for people wanting to really tweak their game settings, the XML's is always going to be the place to go (and indeed, some DLL editing if you want to get really down into the nitty gritty of it all).

Hopefully, some time before Gold, they'll rework and expand the in-game settings menu though.

I see most of the popular concerns come down to people wanting to play the game as a building sandbox/rpg, so a sandbox mode might be prudent. A mode/set of default options controls the experience in a better way for someone who is not willing to delve into 100 misc options. Besides, you will have realized by now that some people can only bother opening the executable. I'm willing to bet an arm and a leg that this applies to most people in general.

I see most of the popular concerns come down to people wanting to play the game as a building sandbox/rpg, so a sandbox mode might be prudent. A mode/set of default options controls the experience in a better way for someone who is not willing to delve into 100 misc options. Besides, you will have realized by now that some people can only bother opening the executable. I'm willing to bet an arm and a leg that this applies to most people in general.

Games are meant to be fun though, to some people editing text files is 'work'. Its unfair to expect people to edit (sometimes massive) ammounts of XML just so they can play with an option that used to exsist.

Games are meant to be fun though, to some people editing text files is 'work'. Its unfair to expect people to edit (sometimes massive) ammounts of XML just so they can play with an option that used to exsist.

Unfair or not, it's a fact. Most people won't bother. We can't judge by what we would/can do ourselves. Modding and XML flexibility is a huge plus and have kept the game alive in a great degree, it's just not something that most people (especially in SP) will use.

Archived