Cave in

Walterstj

I'm trying intentionally to cause a cave in... I have a complete square dug out from ground to bedrock... It's 80 by 80 blocks... So the entire outside edge is dug out all the way around the square... When I dig out underneath, it collapses, but not all the way... What would be holding the giant floating piece of earth? There's nothing underneath and nothing on the side... If I wasn't trying to dig it out, it would all fall but of course now that I want it all out, it won't fall... Any ideas?

Anything over about 20x20 blocks will basically kill the CPU and RAM capabilities of your console. You broke the structural integrity calculations in the area. Even if you are able to make it finish collapsing, good luck ever building in that region again.

For reference, dropping the hospital POI in Navezgane will use up about 12.5GB of RAM and most of the CPU in a 12-core CPU at 4.2GHz. Your console only has 8GB and a 8-core 1.6GHz CPU.

I'm building at the bedrock... But the whole idea is for it to be a pit... It's just weird how it collapses, but not all the way up... If it's -57 at bedrock, then from -57 to -35 fell... And from -35 to 0 or the ground is just hanging there... Now I dug the entire outside of the square so standing at bedrock, I can see the sky all the way around the edge... I've even framed up and tried to place a block in the gap to see if that will cause it to fall... So I'll have to dig every blocknout I suppose... If I wasn't intentionally try to do this, it would have all just fallen... SMH...

I can't place barrels or frames on the ground... They just break down and collapse the second I place them... But I can stand on it and dig it up... So frustrated... There's so many things you can't do, due to the very strict SI rules but stuff like this happens all the time... I guess I'll be digging awhile....

I can't place barrels or frames on the ground... They just break down and collapse the second I place them... But I can stand on it and dig it up... So frustrated... There's so many things you can't do, due to the very strict SI rules but stuff like this happens all the time... I guess I'll be digging awhile....

When you're doing large drops, you want to do it in sections.

The problem might be that whatever you're dropping is located in two [or more] different chunks.

Also, what SylenThunder said. It's CPU intensive so things get muddled.

nRYtjW9.png

This is about as big as you want to drop in one shot.

Even then... probably best to do it in two or three pieces.

I only did this because I know exactly where the adjacent chunks are.

I finally got my area all dug out... I had to put frame on frame up to where the ground was hanging until a frame came into contact when I was standing on it... Then the ground broke apart...

Sounds like the game just needed to update that block.

Sometimes interacting with an adjacent block makes it happen.

Glad things worked out for you in the end.

Archived