Dedicated Server CPU Decision

ChocolateDough

I'm building a dedicated box, will have plenty of RAM (64GB) and an SSD, "1gbps" FIOS, will have a modded and a vanilla server, botman for both, and I'm really just down to what CPUs to get.

I've got a line on some good used Xeons, and just was interested in thoughts on staying with the cheapest option vs. springing for the more expensive ones:

Dual E5-2665: 2.4/3.1 GHz, 8/16 Cores/Threads, 20 MB L3

Dual E5-2670 (+$50 total): 2.6/3.3 GHz, 8/16 Cores/Threads, 20 MB L3

Dual E5-2680v2 (+$280 total): 2.8/3.6 GHz, 10/20 Cores/Threads, 25 MB L3

So I guess:

1. Would you spend the extra $50 to bump up to the 2670?
  2. Would you spend the extra $280 to jump up to the 2680v2?

I know GHz is a big deal for running dedicated as well...would you scrap the whole Xeon idea and go the route of a fast i7 8700k instead? Pros: Faster clock Cons: 1 cpu vs 2 cpu, only 6/12 Cores/Threads, less cache

Thanks in advance...just trying to work out my options.

I'm currently running 2 Vanilla servers, 4 modded servers, and 3 War of the Walkers servers on my blade.

Max player count is 10 per, but they usually don't get above 8. Average number of players on them is 4 or 5 each.

Spawn on each server is set to an average of 300z's at once, and 100 animals. Horde night on most is 32, but a few of them are 64.

It's running dual E5645 Hex Cores at 2.6Ghz with 72GB RAM. Drives are a pair of 300GB platters in RAID 0 with a SSD drive for a data buffer and Swap. Pushing this limits on it with multiple servers having a horde night at the same time I think I managed to push all 24 cores up to about 60% sporadically. Usually they don't go much above 20-30% at the highest.

For reference, performance on my CPU's will be right in between the E5-2670 and the E5-2680v2.

Well - I personally would advise trying to get one running 'on your home network' before you drop anything with a server if your intent is to get one running 'from home' or wherever... Why? I have a feeling that some of us that can't get one running because of 'our ISP(s).' It would be best to know if you can get one running and working rather than buying one, setting it up... Then finding out that you're ISP won't allow certain traffic that totally prohibits your server from working... Anyway another thing to keep in mind future 'servers' that you may want to have... Just saying if you're gonna drop some $ for one get the best for your bang!

Well - I personally would advise trying to get one running 'on your home network' before you drop anything with a server if your intent is to get one running 'from home' or wherever... Why? I have a feeling that some of us that can't get one running because of 'our ISP(s).' It would be best to know if you can get one running and working rather than buying one, setting it up... Then finding out that you're ISP won't allow certain traffic that totally prohibits your server from working... Anyway another thing to keep in mind future 'servers' that you may want to have... Just saying if you're gonna drop some $ for one get the best for your bang!

Definitely good advice as well. I'll be sure to do a test run with some current hardware to make sure it's feasible.

I'm running a rack server with the following hardware:

1U Server X8DTU-F 2x Intel Xeon E5620 Quad Core 32GB 2x PCI-E 2 IPMI Rails DVD

*upgraded both cpu's to: Intel Xeon X5660 2.80GHz 12MB 6C 95W LGA1366 SLBV6 CPU

144gb ram

2 4tb hdd and 1 8tb (for my plex server)

running win server 2k16

3 vm's, 2 ubuntu and 1 win 10. 1 linux vm for my vanilla games, 1 for botman bots, the win vm is for my modded games, just easier to use windows with sdx.

Note: guppy and sylen thought I was insane.

I'm also going to set up a Mechwarrior 4 Mercs server and eventually a Conan Exiles server as well.

Before I used the rack server, I was running ubuntu on a box with an amd fx8320e, 28gb ram, 2tb hdd, never had any issues. Until February I was using fios 100/100. I've had about 30 people on between my pve and pvp servers, plus downloading and streaming and never saw internet degradation. Uploaded to "gigabit" package bc I can afford it now.

If you're getting into hosting your own server, I have a 7DTD Discord for server owners and admins you're welcomed to join: https://discord.gg/chZ8qyJ

Everyone is friendly and those who can, help out. I have a few guys who do mods/server managers on there as well too.

I only said you were insane for using Winblows. :strawberry:

Sadly though, for the expansions I'm planning, looks like running Server 2012 and a few VM's is going to work better. It's starting to get complex adding containers for things in my current build, and two of the games I want to add haven't been made to run on Linux. I may need to add some more RAM if I do that though, as I'll start running short with 72GB.

Archived