Mods on Linux/SteamOS - General questions

dbat

Hello, new here.

I've searched around, but can't find a thread for Linux gamers and the challenges posed when not using Windows.

Here's one:

I managed to get True Survival (TS) installed because Spider kindly provided very good instructions for manual installation. However I cannot seem to download the "Xtrakicking 16.2 Zombie Texture Pack" from that mega.nz site.

I don't know whether it's my browser (Firefox) or some other thing, but the site simply does not deliver a file. Is there some other place on the web to get that resources.asset file perhaps?

I've quoted the relevant bit from the op:

1. !!THIS IS A MUST HAVE!! Download Xtrakicking 16.2 Zombie Texture Pack and replace your resources.asset file at 7DaysToDie/7DaysToDie_Data-
    https://mega.nz/#F!hjpz2SyQ!O8RHFyeaie8XiG2KhDiLLA

When it comes to trying other mods, I'm struggling on Linux. I find they all use the mod launcher, which is Windows-only.

Does anyone know if the launcher could be made cross-platform?

If you find a mod you like, see if it's on Nexus mods.

Plus all the ones I play have manual download links in their respective threads. For some reason, the mod launcher hates me so I just use multiple copies of the game and manually install everything.

Feel free to touch base with me on discord, as sphereii, if you'd like help resolving the issue.

I am looking at a UI overhaul for the Mod Launcher, and am looking at the feasibility to re-write it in Unity for cross-platform support.

Hey! There is dling happening. I have ~40 minutes to go and then I'll be able to try it out.

:thumb:

(Where did you get that url from? Just trying to understand the mystery!)

I never use penguin but isnt wine supposed to help with problems like yours?

I have an feeling that Wine is not sophisticated enough to run that launcher app. I've not tried, but a search seems to show no one else has either.

This Penguin thanks you for your post!

Plus all the ones I play have manual download links in their respective threads. For some reason, the mod launcher hates me so I just use multiple copies of the game and manually install everything.

Ah, I forgot about Nexus. Your post is good news because I have a feeling I'll be doing the same.

Thanks.

I am looking at a UI overhaul for the Mod Launcher, and am looking at the feasibility to re-write it in Unity for cross-platform support.

Using Unity would be a great idea. The fact that TFP have put effort into a Linux version is super cool. If not for that, I'd never have tried Steam at all. Perhaps your mod launcher could transition onto Steam too, and earn a few bucks. I'd buy it, if the price is something I can reach.

Feel free to touch base with me on discord, as sphereii, if you'd like help resolving the issue.

Thanks, but my net connection is simply too slow for things like discord. I'm a single-player offline kinda creature as a result.

Thanks for your post!

A follow-up re Nexus. I can only find War of the walkers and Survival (I think) there. it's a little weird, is there some trick to using that site?

(For e.g. I can't see Clockwork, True survival or Ravenhearst.)

Okay - follow-up:

When I drop that file (in the zip, the "resources.assets" file) into the right directory and run the game I get some weird:

1. When run normally, everything is pink. The whole screen.

2. When I choose "GL Core" from the 7 Days launcher, things work but there are a lot more missing textures. Now all the wheat, potatoes, everything, is pink.

I think there's something within the tweaks made to that file which have excluded GL users — something to do with shaders.

Does anyone know more about this?

Hey! There is dling happening. I have ~40 minutes to go and then I'll be able to try it out.

:thumb:

(Where did you get that url from? Just trying to understand the mystery!)

I have an feeling that Wine is not sophisticated enough to run that launcher app. I've not tried, but a search seems to show no one else has either.

This Penguin thanks you for your post!

I just downloaded it from mega.nz and put it in my onedrive :p

And you are welcome! :)

Cheers

Okay - follow-up:

When I drop that file (in the zip, the "resources.assets" file) into the right directory and run the game I get some weird:

1. When run normally, everything is pink. The whole screen.

2. When I choose "GL Core" from the 7 Days launcher, things work but there are a lot more missing textures. Now all the wheat, potatoes, everything, is pink.

I think there's something within the tweaks made to that file which have excluded GL users — something to do with shaders.

Does anyone know more about this?

I think that is a question for the one that created the texture pack.

Check https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?71651-Zombie-Texture-Replacement

Cheers

-edit- pasted wrong link

I have no idea why it doesn't play nice. I point it at the steam install, tell it what mod I want, leave it to download and then it only launches the base game.

So I just have about 5 copies of the game on my second HDD right now ;) Vanilla backup, Valmod, Ravenhearst, War of the Walkers and the one I'm working on.

I have no idea why it doesn't play nice. I point it at the steam install, tell it what mod I want, leave it to download and then it only launches the base game.

So I just have about 5 copies of the game on my second HDD right now ;) Vanilla backup, Valmod, Ravenhearst, War of the Walkers and the one I'm working on.

If I had to guess, I would think your downloads are being filtered, preventing the mods from being downloaded from github. As a test, you could see if Subquake's Undead Legacy works. He doesn't use github. If that's the problem, we can figure out a work around.

I think that is a question for the one that created the texture pack.

Check https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?71651-Zombie-Texture-Replacement

Thanks again Prisma.

I popped over to read that thread a bit. It looks like it's only zombies that got changed in that "pack", so this does not explain why I am missing things like the palm tree textures and some other plants. Weird.

Anyway, I will post my other questions there. Thanks for the link!

Does anyone have some tips on how to find Ravenhearst, GNA or Clockwork on Nexus? I can't seem to get the voodoo right.

If I had to guess, I would think your downloads are being filtered, preventing the mods from being downloaded from github. As a test, you could see if Subquake's Undead Legacy works. He doesn't use github. If that's the problem, we can figure out a work around.

That's the odd thing. I can go to github and manually download with no problems at all. It's very confusing.

I'll have a go with the mod you suggested later.

Archived