Launcher going to blank/black screen?

Cadamier

Hello,

I asked my wife to unenable UNET networking, not sure what she did but she said something about it finding old files. She clicked cancel and then it brought up a blank/black screen. She's tried it a few times after that and still get the same blank/black screen. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Ahh Haa!! Well 'we' were trying to start the launcher from the directory.

Here's what I found. Starting the launcher - a dialog box would come up saying something to the effect that it found maps (and other stuff?) older than 30 days and asked if you wanted to clean them up. Apparently unchecking everything the 'clean up' button would 'gray out' so you could only click on cancel... When you do it tries to launch the game... That lead to the blank/black screen. Sitting there for a few minutes it persisted... Then I went to the sticky's and saw an image that was showing to launch the game launcher from Steam. In terminating the process - it gave a assemblycsharp.dll error. Probably because we're running Bigger Backpack from Valmod. After closing it I launched the launcher from Steam. I then told it to disable UNET networking and now its fine. So I don't think my wife copied 7D2D over to another folder but installed Valmod & Bigger Backpack into her normal 7D2D installation. I'm thinking that the assemblycsharp.dll error I encountered when closing what I originally thought as the launcher.exe was in fact the game - since it saw an unrecognized assemblycsharp.dll and possibly didn't know what to do.

Well, from what I could tell it was when the launcher 'saw' old files older than 30 days. It will then bring up a dialog box asking you what to delete.

At this point IF you uncheck 'everything' you can only press 'cancel' then the launcher tries to launch the game... Apparently if it finds inconsistencies with game files it will hang and produce the blank/black screen. The only way to get out of it is to terminate the process. So error handling within the "finding files over 30 days" could be the primary issue; or maybe the error reporting process. But the cursor is the 7D2D cursor...

I'll see about doing it on my system since my wife gets touchy if I touch her computer :)

Archived