Romero Style Edits

DEADication

These are my basic xml edits to create a more Romero style world.

These edits are not pure Romero, because I have left Vultures in.:)

7 day horde removed.

Cops, dogs, and irradiated removed.

Zombies never run

Zombie block damage greatly reduced

Zombie entity damage greatly increased

Infection chance increased

Updated for 16.2

A16.2

This is a version that still contains the 7 day horde

A16.2 with Horde

A16.1

Note: Even though the 7 day horde spawn no longer happens, any zombies in the vicinity will still go bloodmoon on you.

Feel free to gank my items.xml from my headshot mod if you like, it's all yours.

I like that you balanced block damage with increased entity damage. I'll throw this on a server a bit and see if I can't get killed. =)

Thanks Guppy, I will definitely look at that.

In general, gameplay is not as challenging, but if you are careless or reckless, the increased damage makes the game very unforgiving.

Player deaths were not uncommon during testing.:)

Personally I play it on 50 min or less days.

Great sounding mod. Is building also nerfed? If not, game might still be too easy considering zombies dont run.

It is definitely less of a challenge, though not as much as you might imagine.

Early game day time play is actually far more dangerous as the only change to your standard zed when it comes to combat is a massive increase in their hit damage.

Regular night time play isn't as nerfed as it seems, because night time zeds are now blind to you.

As for nerfing building?

On the first count of trying to recreate a Romero style environment, it would be impossible.

I can't see anyone carrying more than their weight in a Romero environment, let alone running all day with it.

On the second count of balancing difficulty, it was never a priority to maintain challenge balance, rather achieve an RP setting.

Taking the edge of helps..in vanilla I have very little time to RP, always thinking, planning, moving, crafting, fighting etc. I achieve an urgency and stress levels in vanilla that leave no time for idle thought.

When I play modded like this, I get time to appreciate the scenery, plan buildings that have their design rooted in aesthetics rather than brute defence, take a leisurely 3 days to go looting in a city rather than madly collecting and processing mats to frantically meet your building and repair needs.

I don't just play this way, I alternate between modded and vanilla.

When I have played enough challenge play I will kick of an rp game and vice versa.

I like these slower paced games... They're more relaxing and still have "oh sh*t) moments. I used to play this way exclusively before I got into MP.

Yep it is a different feel, definitely not as edgy.

I actually went the other way. Started on MP PvP, then to PvE, then to SP, then began modding.

I am obviously getting softer as I grow older. :)

While you Guppy...you must be getting harder.:D

Anyway been busy of late, 16.2 is here and there are some balance differences in the xml's.

The cycle of change continues.

I assume that you also crank up the spawn rate right? because with less damage on blocks, i feel sorry for them for scratching my fortress forever :rapture:

i wish that you make this as an addon to Valmod (using valmod xml as a baseline). Or perhaps, any other popular mods out there. 7DTD with expanded gameplay mods rarely include this kind of feature. As currently in my game, i just modify headshot damage to my liking in the items.xml

Also, add an alternate version for retaining the 7days horde

I assume that you also crank up the spawn rate right? because with less damage on blocks, i feel sorry for them for scratching my fortress forever :rapture:

i wish that you make this as an addon to Valmod (using valmod xml as a baseline). Or perhaps, any other popular mods out there. 7DTD with expanded gameplay mods rarely include this kind of feature. As currently in my game, i just modify headshot damage to my liking in the items.xml

Also, add an alternate version for retaining the 7days horde

For 15.2 I did a Valmod version.

I might look at that when I am finished with vanilla.

Atm, I have to re-edit the files for A16.2, and I wont be able to start doing that for at least 24 hrs.

Leaving the seven day horde in is an easy one and I had edited the 16.1 files to allow that.

Btw, the link is for 16.1, don't use it for 16.2.

They're hard to hit in the head. =)

Bloody hell Guppy, I was thinking of various problems that might arise with nullifying limb and body damage, and you had to throw headshotting chickens into the mix. :D

I am sooo glad my rl job is not a game dev.....that would do my head in.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
This should still work. I don't recall any changes from .2 to .4 but my memory sucks.

And switching out xmls is just dragging them into the folder and clicking replace, right? It's a dumb question, but I messed something up on my end, apparently, haha.

Also, thank you for the quick response!

And switching out xmls is just dragging them into the folder and clicking replace, right? It's a dumb question, but I messed something up on my end, apparently, haha.

Also, thank you for the quick response!

It should be that simple, yes. In theory. =)

Archived