RGMIXER.XML Edits

DurtySonuva

So I have a question on the map size, ie the rad zone beyond the 10000 from center, is there a way to make the playable area bigger?? I know at some earlier Alpsha, you could change it to make a bigger map and at some point they took that out, so i tried changing the distance from center form the stock 10000, 11000 by adding just a zero on each value to see if the rad zone would be farther out. Started a new game and the rad stone was still at the original 10000 from center. below is what i changed.

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">

<distance_from_center range="10000,11000"/>

So I have a question on the map size, ie the rad zone beyond the 10000 from center, is there a way to make the playable area bigger?? I know at some earlier Alpsha, you could change it to make a bigger map and at some point they took that out, so i tried changing the distance from center form the stock 10000, 11000 by adding just a zero on each value to see if the rad zone would be farther out. Started a new game and the rad stone was still at the original 10000 from center. below is what i changed.

<distance_from_center range="10000,11000"/>

You need to do 2 things:

Towards the top of the rwgmixer.xml there is:

<rulesets>
<ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="8" cell_size="1800" cell_offset="0.6" generation_distance="10000" terrain_generator="vanilla">
	<cell_rule name="wastelandHub" position="0,0" prob="0.05"/>

<cell_rule name="lowDensity" prob="1"/>
	<cell_rule name="highDensity" prob="0.5"/>
	<!--<cell_rule name="customHubTest" position="0,1" prob="0"/>-->
</ruleset>
</rulesets>

generation_distance="10000" <- if you want a bigger playing area you can adjust this to like 15000

Then you need to go back to to your original area:

<distance_from_center range="10000,20000"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

change the 10000 to 15000

<distance_from_center range="15000,20000"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

copy/save and reload a new world and you should have 5000 more space to play in.

*Note: You will notice your character start to shake though and it only gets worse the further out you go*. just to let you know...

Tin,

I don't use minibikes in my own games and run everywhere. I am not fond of the steep hills and sheer cliffs I get most times.

Anyway you can set me up with a rwgmixer.xml file that has really gently flowing hills...

Also what is the range it can be set up. Do we have the option to have the world able to be totally flat to just all mountains?

Tin,

I don't use minibikes in my own games and run everywhere. I am not fond of the steep hills and sheer cliffs I get most times.

Anyway you can set me up with a rwgmixer.xml file that has really gently flowing hills...

Also what is the range it can be set up. Do we have the option to have the world able to be totally flat to just all mountains?

Try this out and tell me what you think. Its a WIP though so it still needs work in my view.

[ATTACH]19630[/ATTACH]

For Guppycur and Kubikus: A No water world "Vanilla as possible"

*No Guarantee that all seeds will produce No water but should be very very little (random is random)*

Seed that has 1 tiny speck of water in the SE at the bottom of the map Name: 'Plague'.

[ATTACH]19634[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19647[/ATTACH]

O kthanks. Any idea why the shake the farther you go past the 10000 limit?

Something about how unity calculates the local and world coordinates.

- - - Updated - - -

Learned another new revelation:

You don't need to use the <seed_additive=""> It will naturally randomize without it and in some cases will actually be a detriment.

Tin,

Try this out and tell me what you think. Its a WIP though so it still needs work in my view.

[ATTACH]19630[/ATTACH]

lol serves me right for asking on opposite day...

cfXyctz.jpg

For all you World builders out in the forums:

I got some pretty good news!

If you want to significantly Decrease your world load times AND have smother game play to boot!

Instead of using type="Select" re-work your modules a bit and use type="Add"

Excellent work!!

This saved generating time much more. :)

Learned another new revelation:

You don't need to use the <seed_additive=""> It will naturally randomize without it and in some cases will actually be a detriment.

I checked this quickly, but my thinking got opposite one.

I used one simplest code to compare generated terrain.

<terrain_generator>
<module name="first" type="FastBillow" />
<module name="second" type="FastBillow" />
<module name="third" type="FastBillow" seed_additive="1" />

<module name="Final" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
	<property name="sourceModule" value="[color="#FF0000"]NUMBER[/color]"/>
	<property name="scale" value="100"/>
	<property name="bias" value="50"/>
</module>
<output module="Final"/>

</terrain_generator>

I generated terrains, changing number from first to third.

And this is the output.

difference.jpg.c2d5937982bd811ef2a98e4eb317c376.jpg

On this picture, I circled characteristic area as red.

1st and 2nd have no difference, but 3rd (I added seed_additive) is differ from the others.

Further research may or may not continue......

Excellent work!!

This saved generating time much more. :)

I checked this quickly, but my thinking got opposite one.

I used one simplest code to compare generated terrain.

<terrain_generator>
<module name="first" type="FastBillow" />
<module name="second" type="FastBillow" />
<module name="third" type="FastBillow" seed_additive="1" />

<module name="Final" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
	<property name="sourceModule" value="[color="#FF0000"]NUMBER[/color]"/>
	<property name="scale" value="100"/>
	<property name="bias" value="50"/>
</module>
<output module="Final"/>

</terrain_generator>

I generated terrains, changing number from first to third.

And this is the output.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19643[/ATTACH]

On this picture, I circled characteristic area as red.

1st and 2nd have no difference, but 3rd (I added seed_additive) is differ from the others.

Further research may or may not continue......

Adding a seed will move around the land formations no doubt about that but the built in randomization (with or without a seed_additive) also affects the 'height' of those formations. Try using "water" (all lower case) and then compare to another map name you use on a regular basis. "water" will drastically lower and flatten the elevation of your mountains and hills.. or that is what I and getting at least.

I am having a real struggle trying to keep my mountains at a acceptable height every darn time I use "water" as a seed name xD. I'll try to do a screen shot of both.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19644[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19645[/ATTACH]

First image is "water" it is like that 360 second "Plague" same coordinates. I wish we could manually trun the rng on/off and only have it affect designated modules grrrr

------ UPDATE ------ UPDATE ------

Got it! Using no_seed="true"> for each module will take it out of the rng but you can still use seed_additive=""> to move the formations if you place it in the control filter. :) Success!!!

lol serves me right for asking on opposite day...

cfXyctz.jpg

Hehehe, I wish that was the case.

I made a boo boo and allowed the 'seed' to be too powerful (which I have fixed). I will be fully releasing it in the next day or so. Just need to get the water gen to decently be distributed throughout the maps.

in the mean time use the seed name "Plague" (cap sensitive) and you should have a good play field till then.

Hello! First of all, thank you everyone for your hard work! I hope this is the right place to ask RWGMixer.XML questions.

Eventually I want learn how to insert custom cities into the RWG mix and create a truly unique experience. But first... baby steps. I have Compopack and Starvation installed, and it seems to work! Yesterday I started down the rabbit hole of .XML edits.

My goal is to make a bigger hub city... and I did! But there was nothing in it. :(

<rulesets>

<ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="16" cell_size="1800" cell_offset="0.1" generation_distance="12500">

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub" position="0,0" prob="0"/>

</ruleset>

</rulesets>

First of all I read somewhere to have a more populated map, I lower cell size to something smaller, like 800?

wastelandHub is the 0,0 city right?

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub">

<cave_count value="1,1"/>

<path_material value="asphalt" />

<path_radius value="7" />

<hub_rule name="citySmall" />

<wilderness_rule name="wildernessDefault" prob="1"/>

</cell_rule>

</cell_rules>

wastelandHub generates based off the citySmall rules?

<hub_rule name="citySmall">

<hub_type value="city"/>

<width value="824, 824" />

<height value="824, 824" />

<path_material value="asphalt" />

<path_radius value="7" />

So I noticed/read that changing the width and height values make a bigger city? Seems true, but past certain sizes I only get wasteland rubble to spawn in cities, not unique POIs.

Do I need to adjust another value somewhere to fill in the cities? (hubs, or cells... proper terminology?)

<rulesets>

<ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="16" cell_size="1200" cell_offset="0.8" generation_distance="10000">

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub" position="0,0" prob="0.1"/>

<cell_rule name="highDensity" position="0,1" prob="1.0"/>

<cell_rule name="highDensity" position="0,-1" prob="1.0"/>

<cell_rule name="highDensity" position="1,1" prob="1.0"/>

<cell_rule name="highDensity" position="1,0" prob="1.0"/>

<cell_rule name="highDensity" position="-1,0" prob="1.0"/>

<cell_rule name="highDensity" position="-1,1" prob="1.0"/>

<cell_rule name="highDensity" position="-1,-1" prob="1.0"/>

<cell_rule name="highDensity" position="1,-1" prob="1.0"/>

</ruleset>

</rulesets>

I also found this tidbit somewhere... make more hub cities and force them in position around the cental hub of 0,0? What does the prob=1.0 mean in this situation? I want to say a value of 1 means it is guaranteed to spawn?

If I understand these two lines, it is the chances for a cell/hub to spawn from lowDensity vs highDensity if it wasn't specified by a rule (i.e. the central hub being wastelandHub postition=0,0)

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub" position="0,0" prob="0.1"/>

And if I am understanding things correctly, I can create custom towns/cities by using the wastelandHub as an example, but remove the positioning? (and new name) And add the rule_name to the correct spawn table, such as lowDensity or highdensity?

For Guppycur and Kubikus: A No water world "Vanilla as possible"

*No Guarantee that all seeds will produce No water but should be very very little (random is random)*

Seed that has 1 tiny speck of water in the SE at the bottom of the map Name: 'Plague'.

[ATTACH]19634[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19647[/ATTACH]

So I've tried your 2nd version now, and I gotta say I like the first one better. I only tried one seed as of now. The new and improved version is too flatt and smooth for my taste, I like it when I have landshapes that will demand of me to find other ways, I don't like it when everything is just easy-peasy and you never have to worry about falling off a cliff.

So for me you nailed it with your first no-water version.

Also, just for the record, I said that I had to lower that "voronoi" to 0.00015 - turns out it was just the seed, other seeds with such a low value end up with worlds that have only one biome.

So I've tried your 2nd version now, and I gotta say I like the first one better. I only tried one seed as of now. The new and improved version is too flatt and smooth for my taste, I like it when I have landshapes that will demand of me to find other ways, I don't like it when everything is just easy-peasy and you never have to worry about falling off a cliff.

So for me you nailed it with your first no-water version.

Also, just for the record, I said that I had to lower that "voronoi" to 0.00015 - turns out it was just the seed, other seeds with such a low value end up with worlds that have only one biome.

Cool! Glad you found it was only a seed deal.

Yeah, I wish I had just a touch more control on how drastic the different "map names" changes things. I wish I could tone it down were it only can adjust things a little at a time. Whatever method they are using, it really can change things drastically.

I also think I need to add another module to my new one so it inserts "hilly" areas every so often, in the future.

I'll go about making 'Rugged' version should only take a few tweaks I tend to err on the side of wanting the player be able to get to everything and only hike when you really want to. Probably influenced from the natural terrain in my stomping grounds.

@Kubikus (and those that want to try it)

Re-Re-Redo More rugged landscape More mountains, hills. It still has flatish areas but cut down in size. Less likely for for having water spots (but I am sure some seeds will still generate them).

[ATTACH]19706[/ATTACH]

Same setup but with a water module added for those that want a bit of water.

[ATTACH]19695[/ATTACH]

I was able to roughen up the terrain for a more realistic landscape at a small cost but almost unnoticeable..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19697[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19698[/ATTACH]

Just some screen shots to showcase the land... (fyi You might not see the sky like in the first image since it is from my personal tweak stuff)

Re-Re-Redo More rugged landscape More mountains, hills. It still has flatish areas but cut down in size. Less likely for for having water spots (but I am sure some seeds will still generate them).

[ATTACH]19694[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19695[/ATTACH]

I was able to roughen up the terrain for a more realistic landscape at a small cost but almost unnoticeable..

Just some screen shots to showcase the land... (fyi You might not see the sky like in the first image since it is from my personal tweak stuff)

Are your screenshots using the Plague seed?

Are your screenshots using the Plague seed?

Yep!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep!
Fog levels, Lighting, decorations will be different from vanilla though.. Just showing off the landscape.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't just say landscape but more terrain.

Edit2: If you want the biomes redecoration/weather scheme (rain/fog/wind settings) I can attach that if you want but I can't give you the lighting changes (not that it's all that impressive but I made it special for someone else).

Well this is embarrassing the one link to the No water version on post #266 still had the water module in it. It has since been corrected :p

So try again for the No to little water version. Again srry about that!

I'll try the new mixer later; however, I believe I made a mistake myself about the whole "too many biomes", here it is again:

20170401064655_1.jpg

Desert, maple forest, snow, maple forest, wasteland, desert.

Not that it would be particularly interesting, but this is caused by the ringworld-tweak. That tweak only works for some seeds, for unknown reasons, most seeds will not produce the rings. Here I get the rings:

20170401082104_1.jpg

With a distortion, that probably can be removed by lowering the voronoi even further (it is at 0.00015 again). Here is a seed that's already pretty messed up:

20170401082247_1.jpg

And this one has no circles anymore at all, but sorta kinda a faint reminiscence, if you know what you're looking for:

20170401082455_1.jpg

I haven't tried, but I guess without the ringworld-tweak the biome-distribution would be just fine.

I am gonna need to delve into the biome generator at some point. I wonder if the seed name is overriding thing's it shouldn't. I also wonder if adding no_seed="true"> to some of the biome modules will have any affect as well.

@grndblitz:

when you expand your HUB city, you must also edit the variables about 'rare' buildings, and set the limit about how many of each you want in your HUB, like how many Working stiffs, popnpills, Messiah, police stations, diners, apartments etc. Here you can see my very small 4 x 4 HUB city (old weak PC) but packed with shops with barely any dilapidated buildings.

b3kbdj.jpg

[ATTACH]19706[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19695[/ATTACH]

I haven't tried it much, single seed so far, but again, I like the first iteration best. This one will give me interesting landscapes, so I'd prefer it over the 2nd version you had made. It's more like... It has (for me, with the ring-tweak enabled) large areas of fairly flat land and then single mountains sticking out. Like this:

20170405124120_1.jpg

I do like it and will use it more often. I don't know if the ring-tweak messes much with the landscape-code, it's just this:

<biome_spawn_rules>
	<biome_spawn_rule name="city_wasteland">
		<biome_generator range="0,0.1"/>
		<distance_from_center range="0,500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">
		<biome_generator range="0.1,0.2"/>
		<distance_from_center range="500,2500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="city">
		<biome_generator range="0.2,0.3"/>
		<distance_from_center range="2500,3500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.3,0.4"/>
		<distance_from_center range="3500,4500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="desert">
		<biome_generator range="0.4,0.5"/>
		<distance_from_center range="4500,5500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">
		<biome_generator range="0.5,0.6"/>
		<distance_from_center range="5500,6500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.6,0.7"/>
		<distance_from_center range="6500,7500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="snow">
		<biome_generator range="0.7,0.8"/>
		<distance_from_center range="7500,8500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.8,0.9"/>
		<distance_from_center range="8500,9500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland_hub">
		<biome_generator range="0.9,0.95"/>
		<distance_from_center range="9500,10500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">
		<biome_generator range="0.95,1"/>
		<distance_from_center range="10500,12500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<distance_from_center range="12500,20000"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

Not that I'd know anything about it, but I don't see how it would mess with the landscape shape.

I haven't tried it much, single seed so far, but again, I like the first iteration best. This one will give me interesting landscapes, so I'd prefer it over the 2nd version you had made. It's more like... It has (for me, with the ring-tweak enabled) large areas of fairly flat land and then single mountains sticking out. Like this:

20170405124120_1.jpg

I do like it and will use it more often. I don't know if the ring-tweak messes much with the landscape-code, it's just this:

<biome_spawn_rules>
		<biome_generator range="0,0.1"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.1,0.2"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.2,0.3"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.3,0.4"/>
		<distance_from_center range="3500,4500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="desert">
		<biome_generator range="0.4,0.5"/>
		<distance_from_center range="4500,5500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">
		<biome_generator range="0.5,0.6"/>
		<distance_from_center range="5500,6500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.6,0.7"/>
		<distance_from_center range="6500,7500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="snow">
		<biome_generator range="0.7,0.8"/>
		<distance_from_center range="7500,8500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.8,0.9"/>
		<distance_from_center range="8500,9500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland_hub">
		<biome_generator range="0.9,0.95"/>
		<distance_from_center range="9500,10500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">
		<biome_generator range="0.95,1"/>
		<distance_from_center range="10500,12500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<distance_from_center range="12500,20000"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

Not that I'd know anything about it, but I don't see how it would mess with the landscape shape.

Not sure myself, just trying to find a reason the ring world is getting altered.

That screen shot: I can't give the hub centers any form, that is just how they have it set when placing a city/town/rural. A16 is our only hope on that.

So you like a lot of mountains and hills and little to no flat areas... If I get more time I see what I can come up with.

Looking at the code in the Assembly, it seems to me that the way you have the "Ring World" set up is a bit superfluous. When the game checks to see what biome something is, it loops through the list of all the Biome Spawn Rules, then the list of Terrain Spawn Rules, then the Distance From Center rules, and returns the last one. In that order. Which means that having a Biome Generator rule and a Distance From Center Rule should have the Distance rule override.

Now, rules can fail to load for various reasons. One occurs when their inner edge is outside of the normal map generating area. This means that the Biome Generator spawn would take over.

So I think your problem would be solved by making sure that all the rings are smaller than the "generation_distance" at the top of the file, and removing the "<biome_generator range=*>" rules from the Biome Spawn Rules section. If your goal is to have the rings being the only variation in terrain, that would do it. If you still want some variation, you can place those variations "on top" of the rings, by placing them later in the file.

Keep in mind that the game cycles through the Biome Spawn Rules list, one "Rule" at a time. You could have a Biome Generator rule and a Terrain Generator rule, and the game would only take whichever one meets the criteria for that particular chunk, but every point has a Distance, so they will ALWAYS take precedence, no matter what else that area matches, unless the next Rule processed overrides that.

Like so:

<biome_spawn_rules>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>