Translation Tool

knarox

• 1 month later...
Hi,

i would translate an mod localisation. While loading the txt file the translator canceled it, whenever a line in the english section startet with ".

Can you fix it?

MfG Scomar

Hi,

i cant reproduce this issue.

I loaded the "Localization.txt" file and had no error, also with starting "-character.

But if you have only on "-character the programm will crash because they have to be always in pairs. Maybe in your file is a "-character missing.

I fixed this kind of crash and showing you in which line the error happens in a MessageBox. Maybe this helps.

New version of the program is in the first post. i also changed the way of showing the version number - its now just automatically the last building datetime.

Greetings

knarx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

thx for updating. now the program shows the error and then continue with reading the other lines.

i have attached the localization.txt for you, it's from the Ravenhearst Mod. This one makes the error. If you want to check it yourself, you can do this now. ;)

Greetings

Scomar

P.S. if i want so safe, it says the index is outside the Arrayfield and didn't safe to the file

Localization.txt

I found the problem:

you have to put the new line ("\n") into the quotations chars like:

springDesc,items,Item,EnChanged,"Springs are great for making furniture, vault doors, hatches and more.\n [ Crafted in Advanced Workbench. ]",,"Schraubenfedern eignen sich prima dazu, Mِbel, Tresortüren, Klappen und mehr zu fertigen.",,

and not like:

springDesc,items,Item,EnChanged,"Springs are great for making furniture, vault doors, hatches and more."\n [ Crafted in Advanced Workbench. ],,"Schraubenfedern eignen sich prima dazu, Mِbel, Tresortüren, Klappen und mehr zu fertigen.",,

The second example cant be read by the translator, because the quatation is over and all following stuff is interpredted as new part but it isnt.

Greetings

knarox

Updated the program:

UPDATE :18.02.2018 09:09:00

- changed: background image deactivated. Add a picture (.png) with the name "background" to it to have one.

- added: new tab that shows errors that happens while loading file.

- little prerformance teak

Have a nice day :)

• 1 month later...

I am trying to create an Esperanto translation for 7 Days To Die and I came across this thread. I found the localization.txt file and used it to create Esperanto versions of the strings.

But now I am stuck with actually trying to get it to work in the game.

1. As mentioned in other parts of this thread, there doesn't appear to be any way to choose other languages for the game. So I just copied my Esperanto text over the English column in the file. While not elegant, it did allow me to change the text in game.

2. My bigger hurdle at the moment is that Esperanto uses a slightly different alphabet than English. It contains a few letters (ĉ, ĝ, ĥ, ĵ, ŭ) that don't exist in English. So my problem is that those characters don't display in the game when I type them in localization.txt. They display as question mark (?) and sometimes as blanks. I can use those characters when I type on signs within the game, so I don't think it is a case of the game completely not supporting them. I did wonder if the problem is related to my editing of the file, but it is hard to tell. I am using LibreOffice on Windows 10 to edit the CSV file in a spreadsheet format for easier reading.

Has anyone successfully translated into a language with a different character set? Do you have any tips that you could share?

I really like this game and I would love to get my Esperanto speaking friends to join me, but I am stuck.

Thanks for any assistance.

• 7 months later...

It would be great if we could mark an entry as translated or semi-translated and it is highlighted with a color, so that the next time the program starts and opens the localization file, those entries marked as translated are no longer shown and are filtered and you can better recognize the entries that need to be improved (those marked as semi-translated). This would help because there are quite a few entries and you can " get dizzy " if you see them all and look for a particular one, especially when you do not know very well what they mean by a word and you have to start the game and look for the thing to recognize it and then go back to the program and find the entry to translate it.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I am trying to create an Esperanto translation for 7 Days To Die and I came across this thread. I found the localization.txt file and used it to create Esperanto versions of the strings.

1. As mentioned in other parts of this thread, there doesn't appear to be any way to choose other languages for the game. So I just copied my Esperanto text over the English column in the file. While not elegant, it did allow me to change the text in game.

2. My bigger hurdle at the moment is that Esperanto uses a slightly different alphabet than English. It contains a few letters (ĉ, ĝ, ĥ, ĵ, ŭ) that don't exist in English. So my problem is that those characters don't display in the game when I type them in localization.txt. They display as question mark (?) and sometimes as blanks. I can use those characters when I type on signs within the game, so I don't think it is a case of the game completely not supporting them. I did wonder if the problem is related to my editing of the file, but it is hard to tell. I am using LibreOffice on Windows 10 to edit the CSV file in a spreadsheet format for easier reading.

Has anyone successfully translated into a language with a different character set? Do you have any tips that you could share?

I really like this game and I would love to get my Esperanto speaking friends to join me, but I am stuck.

Thanks for any assistance.

You should use the Spanish one and see if the characters are well displayed now.

• 2 weeks later...

I am writing a python version that automatically trawls through the Localization.txt, and I have found a couple of points:

1. Source,Context,Changes:- these entries don't appear to ever be used by 7D2D. They are probably for the funpimps internal text editor. Which means we are free to use them!
  2. 7D2D uses something called "BetterList" to convert csv files, which has its own special character actions:

1. Ignore Blank Lines

2. Ignore lines starting with // to allow comments

3. Replace """ with """

4. Replace """ with """

[*]Other than that, it seems to use C# style special characters including \t for tab, so possibly \uHEX will work too e.g. \u2622 = ☢ Radiation symbol

Of these, I suggest we use the third value (Changes), as our modified indicator with the following behaviour:

1. New entry from a mod/text from user = "modnew"
    2. A later mod overwriting a new entry from a mod/user = still "modnew"
    3. A mod/user overwriting a base entry = "modset" and the original entry inserted after, prefixed by "__base__"

An example of my suggestion in action:

Start with the following lines:

ammoDartSteel,items,Ammo,New,Iron Dart (Ammo),,Eisengeschoss (Mun),,,

ammoDartSteelDesc,items,Ammo,New,Used as ammunition for traps.,,,,,

Mod adds new entry "ammoBook,items,Ammo,New,Book (Ammo),,,,,"

We change 'New' to 'modnew' and append.

ammoDartSteelDesc,items,Ammo,New,Used as ammunition for traps.,,,,,

ammoBook,items,Ammo,modnew,Book (Ammo),,,,,

A second mod includes a Localization.txt with a changed description for ammoDartSteel, so we rename the original with the __base__ prefix, and insert the new version:

ammoDartSteelDesc,items,Ammo,New,Used as A FUN TOY AM I RIGHT BOYS!?,,,,,

__base__ammoDartSteelDesc,items,Ammo,New,Used as ammunition for traps.,,,,,

ammoBook,items,Ammo,modnew,Book (Ammo),,,,,

This way, when running an automated merger on an already changed Localization.txt, we can effectively restore a clean 'base' Localization dictionary to modify, without having to keep a separate backup somewhere that will get out of date every time there is an official update. Less mucking around, more automation!

• 8 months later...

Hi I downloaded this program, but there no source code inside. Could you send the source code or to add search filter in english translation, like in entries on left, and a posiblity to mark read only other translations. Tnx for your super work.

I changed Polish language by setting -language=polish in the Set Launch Options of the game, and it works.

https://i.redd.it/o6hv3j6at0w11.png

-language=german, -language=spanish

I have only problem with Polish fonts and MENU is in English. I recomending to delete one of translations for example french you can do that in excel and delete one column. Next you can start the game as French translation. First row of translation have to be FRENCH, not Esperanto. At the end if all wilbe translated you can ask about to add that into the game.

Archived