Starter Class System

Valmar

Well, the entityclasses part is a replacement (sorta). Everything else is just added, though, yes.

Hey Valmar. I'm really impressed with your mods. I was wondering if you could help me understand what kind of additions/mods are able to be installed server side only. I want to avoid my clients installing anything extra if possible.

Is this possible?

Hey hamburglin

We could work together to get your players to use the 7D2D Mod Launcher to automatically download the client side mods and let them play on your server.

This would give you more flexibility in what mods you can apply. You could even bring in SDX elements if you want.

This is what the Forum Fanatics do with their servers and clients, and the original purpose of launcher.

-SphereII

Hey Valmar. I'm really impressed with your mods. I was wondering if you could help me understand what kind of additions/mods are able to be installed server side only. I want to avoid my clients installing anything extra if possible.

Is this possible?

To be frank I believe all of my mods require the clients to install something. My mods use the Mods folder to get custom icons. This folder and its icons within do not push to clients. Though it isn't really game-breaking. Just means if they dont install they wont see icons for the new stuff.

The only thing that does not "push" that can cause actual gameplay issues is progression.xml edits. Far as I know none of my individual mods touch this, only my Valmod Pack does. Meaning all my individual mods technically would work without the player downloading anything, they just wont see icons for it.

Hey hamburglin

We could work together to get your players to use the 7D2D Mod Launcher to automatically download the client side mods and let them play on your server.

This would give you more flexibility in what mods you can apply. You could even bring in SDX elements if you want.

This is what the Forum Fanatics do with their servers and clients, and the original purpose of launcher.

-SphereII

Ah yeah, I did see that and might use it with my friends. I was mainly curious what I can do without the clients downloading anything.

- - - Updated - - -

To be frank I believe all of my mods require the clients to install something. My mods use the Mods folder to get custom icons. This folder and its icons within do not push to clients. Though it isn't really game-breaking. Just means if they dont install they wont see icons for the new stuff.

The only thing that does not "push" that can cause actual gameplay issues is progression.xml edits. Far as I know none of my individual mods touch this, only my Valmod Pack does. Meaning all my individual mods technically would work without the player downloading anything, they just wont see icons for it.

Ok so I'm still slightly confused then. You say your mods all need the client to "install" something. I assume that means installing the files manually on their systems (i.e the server they are connecting to will NOT do this for them).

However, then you mention the only thing that isn't "pushed" is the progression.xml. What is "pushing files" and what does that mean?

And I guess here is my question again just in case - What can I edit on the serer side only that will mode the game, without the clients downloading anything? I can't specific info on this anywhere. I realize by answering the stuff I just wrote above might answer this for me.

Thanks again for the help!!

However, then you mention the only thing that isn't "pushed" is the progression.xml. What is "pushing files" and what does that mean?

And I guess here is my question again just in case - What can I edit on the serer side only that will mode the game, without the clients downloading anything? I can't specific info on this anywhere. I realize by answering the stuff I just wrote above might answer this for me.

Thanks again for the help!!

You can mod any of the xml except the progression.xml and the clients wont need to download anything.

Pushing from server means it will send the files to the connected clients and the game stores those files in memory (doesnt create the files on their filesystem)

The Mods folder doesnt push, so any custom icons will not show unless the clients install them, and the same for the progression file which TFP forgot to include (not the first time) and still have not fixed because modding is not high on their list.

"Pushing" means that the changes are "pushed" by the server to the client. That just a simple way of saying that the client doesn't need to do anything with their own files to get the benefits. The vast majority of modifications done to the game (other than progression.xml changes in some cases, as mentioned earlier) will work without the players on the server installing or making any edits themselves.

The reason I say almost all my modifications require the user to have files installed is because all my mods, more or less, include a Mods folder for icons. However my mods icon is a one-for-all type deal. That is to say, ALL my icons for ALL my mods are included in the link. So even if your server uses multiple "small" mods that I provide they still only need the player to install one single thing - the single Mods folder included.

Of course even without that players would still be able to play with those mods fine. Its just for icons. Icons do not "push" which means that having the icons installed on the server does nothing. The client needs the Mods folder to see the icons for the new items. Without it the icons for the new items will all be blank - though they would still work all the same.

If you mod your servers progression.xml then these changes may or may not properly "push" to the clients, meaning they would have to have the same modified progression.xml

This is not required for any other file (other than localization.txt and quest_localization.txt but these are purely for getting prettier names on items and having custom item descriptions - nothing critical and game breaking) and everything else will "push". Meaning it is enough for the files to be edited only the server. Players dont have to worry about them. For example this specific mod for classes does not use the Mods folder or touch the progression.xml

Therefore it is enough to install this on a server without needing the player to install anything or change anything themselves.

Does that make more sense?

Hey Valmar, I'm having issues with installing your mod.

I'm adding the code from the files into the local files, at the bottom (Above the last line of code) and changing the EntityClasses.XML properly, but whenever I start a server/World, it's stuck on the loading screen.

All I can find on the Console and Output log is "<file.XML> is an invalid hash!"

Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

My version is 14.7, if possible, are you able to add a ZIP with properly moddified xml's with just this mod?

• 4 months later...

Possible to use and abuse this in my own modification?

Hello there!

Thanks for your dedication and hard work making this and other awesome 7dtd mods!!!

I'd like to know if permission is granted to other 7dtd modders in relation to using this in their own project/s?

My personal mod is in its infancy but i'm making surprising progress already.

My question; is it ok to use part or even all of this code in my own modification? I haven't got a release date planned or anything like that, heck I don't even have a name for it yet; it'll be a long while before even a public test would considered.

My intention is to insert the system into my mod, altering/adding/removing classes, ect ect.

If not, no worries, still :love_heart: it!

Keep up the great work :)

This is amazing! Thank you thank you Thank You !

I got this in and all working lovely :~) Had a little hiccup at first because I mistakingly put "--" those characters inside of a comment and didn't realize it was a problem (still learning xml hehe) the console was going nuts and i thought for a moment i would need to ask for assistance, but i scrolled up to find the wonderful error message telling me what i was doing wrong. Something strange did happen tho, even after i removed the so called problem, the game basically demanded that I make a lootgroup for birdsnests LOL, dont ask me why but the console kept banging on about ID 25, over and over, well its working lovely now, thanks again Valmar! Awsome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Items

Blocks

Loot

Recipes

entityclasses: Adjust the "itemsonentergame" properties manually for the male character:

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalSP" value="classKey, classSelection" />

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalMP" value="classKey, classSelection, keystoneBlock" />

If you have questions or need any help let me know.

So, basically I opened my file items.xml and added the lines from the pastebin above. I did the same for all xmls and replaced the entityclass, but it does not work at all. it gives errors, somethin about Null, Objects... :(

Typically its best to add them at the bottom of the file, above the final </code> break.

For example:

</items>

</blocks>

</lootcontainers>

</recipes>

The entityclasses.xml edit is different, of course, since you're modifying the playerMale entity.

Typically its best to add them at the bottom of the file, above the final </code> break.

For example:

</items>

</blocks>

</lootcontainers>

</recipes>

The entityclasses.xml edit is different, of course, since you're modifying the playerMale entity.

Im pretty sure I copied and pasted everything from the paste bin files. Is it ok to add it at the end of each file?

Is it ok to add it at the end of each file?

That's what Valmar said, yes.

At the end of each file, just before the end code tag. Each file will end with a tag similar to these examples:

</items>

</blocks>

</lootcontainers>

</recipes>

Do not paste the code after these tags, as that will cause errors.

That's what Valmar said, yes.

At the end of each file, just before the end code tag. Each file will end with a tag similar to these examples:

</items>

</blocks>

</lootcontainers>

</recipes>

Do not paste the code after these tags, as that will cause errors.

I'll give a try tonight... Thank you for the help... :thumb:

I copied everything exactly as it is, then...

1) no images for a key, or classes

2) when i used the key (right click on the briefcase) it didnt open it.

:frown-new:

For the images to work you need my Mods folder in your install directory. If you're on a server note you will need this installed locally too, as icons do not push from server to client.

If the key didnt open it then its likely the loot.xml is busted.

• 1 month later...

Class quests.

Hello Valmar,

First off I want to say thanks for this mod and all your others they are really fun to play. I was wondering if you would be able to update this with the wildcard class or even add another thread with the class quests as well that you have in the latest version of Valmod Overhaul. Having those extra little bits of do this to further progress your class is a nice touch.

Thanks,

GKuba

Hello Valmar,

First off I want to say thanks for this mod and all your others they are really fun to play. I was wondering if you would be able to update this with the wildcard class or even add another thread with the class quests as well that you have in the latest version of Valmod Overhaul. Having those extra little bits of do this to further progress your class is a nice touch.

Thanks,

GKuba

The wildcard would not really function as intended in a vanilla setting, hence why it is not a standalone.

Valmod rewrites how recipes are unlocked. Essentially every recipe/schematic is actually a perk or skill. Therefore everything can be learned if you spend skill points to unlock it. For example in Valmod classes get 50 skill points worth of skill split up into relevant perks/skills according to the class. The Wildcard however just gets 50 skill points to spend on whatever they want, rather than have it predetermined by the class decision.

This obviously would not really work out the sameway in a vanilla environment since recipes are unlocked with books.

At best you could make a "random" class.

The wildcard would not really function as intended in a vanilla setting, hence why it is not a standalone.

Valmod rewrites how recipes are unlocked. Essentially every recipe/schematic is actually a perk or skill. Therefore everything can be learned if you spend skill points to unlock it. For example in Valmod classes get 50 skill points worth of skill split up into relevant perks/skills according to the class. The Wildcard however just gets 50 skill points to spend on whatever they want, rather than have it predetermined by the class decision.

This obviously would not really work out the sameway in a vanilla environment since recipes are unlocked with books.

At best you could make a "random" class.

Thanks Valmar that makes a lot more sense. I have currently taken your standalone survivor notes and added the exp to them like you have in Valmod along with the collection of notes also keeping the study desk to craft various schematics so I may just create a random class and give them 50 survivors notes to start with.

I may just have to recreate your starting class quests by hand tailoring them to each class but i'm getting the hang of it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

~GKuba

• 2 months later...

Tried to add to Alpha 16

Someone requested I separate the class system out of my Valmod Pack so here it is.

How it works:

When you start the game (must be your first time in the game) you will be given a Class Selection book and a Class Key note. You use the selection book to craft the class suitcase you want in the crafting menu.

The available classes are Hunter, Builder, Rifleman, Gunman, Veteran, Miner, Survivor, Bruiser, and Medic.

After you decide on a class you get a Class briefcase that you then place on the ground and open either with your class key or breaking it. This unlocks the case which then can be looted to get all the class-specific recipes along with a bundle of starting items. If for some reason the briefcase doesn't unlock with the key you can break it open.

Hunter Class:

Items:

Random shirt, pants, hat and boots.

Canned food, bottled water

Painkillers, Bandage

Animal Hide Armor

Bow and Arrows

Stone Axe

Hunting Knife

Recipes:

Hunting Rifle

Builder Class:

Items:

Random shirt, pants, hat and boots.

Painkillers, Bandage

Hammer Sledgehammer, Fireaxe

wood and wood frames.

Hunting Knife

Recipes:

hammer

Rifleman Class:

Items:

Random shirt, pants, Swat Helmet and boots.

Painkillers, Bandage

Stone Axe, Hunting Knife, Hunting Rifle

762mm bullets

2 Repair kits

Recipes:

Hunting Rifle

Gunman Class:

Items:

Random shirt, pants, cowboy hat and boots.

Painkillers, Bandage

Stone Axe, Pistol

9mm Bullets

2 Repair kits

Recipes:

Pistol

Veteran Class:

Items:

Army clothes

Painkillers, Bandage

Stone Axe, Hunting Knife, AK47

762 bullets

4 Repair kits

Recipes:

AK47

Miner Class:

Items:

Random shirt, pants, mining helmet and boots

Painkillers, Bandage

Stone Axe, Steel Pickaxe

15 Forged Iron

4 Torches

Forge

Survivor Class:

Items:

Random shirt, pants, cloth hat and boots

6 Canned food, bottled water

6 Painkillers and bandages

6 Torches

8 Seeds

Stone Axe, Hunting Knife

Flashlight, First-Aid Kit,

Crossbow and bolts

Cooking Pot, campfire, First-Aid Kit, bed roll

Recipes:

Crossbow

Bruiser Class:

Random shirt and pants

Canned food, Bottled Water

2 Painkillers and Anti-Biotics

6 First-Aid Bandages

Stone Axe, Spiked Club

Scrap Iron Armor

Sawed Off Shotgun, 30 Shotgun Shells

2 Repair Kits

Recipes:

Sawed Off Shotgun

Scrap Iron Armor

Medic Class:

Items:

Random shirt, pants, hat and boots

2 Canned food

8 Painkillers

6 Purified Water

10 First-Aid Bandage

6 First-Aid Kits

Stone Axe, Beaker, Flashlight

6 Herbal Antibiotics

Hunting Knife

Recipes:

First Aid Kit, Herbal Antibiotics

Items

Blocks

Loot

Recipes

entityclasses: Adjust the "itemsonentergame" properties manually for the male character:

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalSP" value="classKey, classSelection" />

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalMP" value="classKey, classSelection, keystoneBlock" />

If you have questions or need any help let me know.

I tried to add to 16, line by line. I start with class selection clipboard and key. Clipboard has no action, used cm to bring in suite case, laid down can interact with key. Got it to work but had to pull case using cm. Clipboard want work. any ideas. Tahnks, Love your overhaul...

Archived