A Simple Way to Switch Armor Sets and Mods

bachgaman

With the introduction of new armor sets and modifications, the game offers a wide range of specialized gear. However, this also creates a problem: every time a player goes off to chop wood, mine resources, complete quests, or hunt, they find themselves wanting to switch armor and mods for maximum efficiency (unless playing inefficiently is your playstyle, and you enjoy it immensely).

Manually changing gear, moving mods between items, and searching in stash the right items for each task can become quite a tedious process. This is especially true for attribute mods, which are essential for activating certain perks. Constantly doing this by hand turns into a routine, and it’s often easier to just skip it altogether.

My suggestion:

Add a wardrobe feature to the game — an object that allows players to save gear presets, including armor and modifications. By interacting with the wardrobe, players could switch between these presets with a single click. This would significantly simplify the gameplay, allowing players to quickly adapt to different activities, whether it’s combat, looting, or resource gathering.

The idea isn’t original, but it’s still relevant. Many other games already have similar systems. This improvement would make the game much more convenient and give players more flexibility in how they approach different situations.

f8Ce8v5GRdBt2MDbHYtFtL.jpg

Edited by bachgaman (see edit history)

There is a wardrobe update coming on the roadmap.  We don't know what it will actually include, but the expectation that you can swap sets of armor is probably true.  Whether they include mods in that, who knows?

7 hours ago, bachgaman said:

Manually changing gear

Click, W, Click, W, Click, W, Click, W.

moving mods between items

Why? The mods are like dirt.

and searching in stash the right items for each task can become quite a tedious process

I know perfectly well what and where is. I have a habit of keeping each item in its place. And in real life it is the same.

2 hours ago, Suxar said:

Click, W, Click, W, Click, W, Click, W.

Still more than just click. But the main problem is the mods and the fact that you'll have to learn how to visually distinguish the preacher gloves from the enforcer gloves.

2 hours ago, Suxar said:

Why? The mods are like dirt.

I don't know what settings you're playing with, but in my current game with fairly normal difficulty and loot settings, by day 35 I've progressed all the way to the gyrocopter, the best T6 armor and weapons, etc., but I still don’t have enough attribute mods for intellect, strength, and a few others to fully equip all possible gear sets. The issue is more pronounced in the early game, as that's when the game is most challenging and fun. Once you have everything T6 and you're tired of T6 missions, you don't need to keep switching gear anymore. The game is probably over for most players at that point.

2 hours ago, Suxar said:

I know perfectly well what and where is. I have a habit of keeping each item in its place. And in real life it is the same.

You probably have about 16 chests per player at your base for every single armor set, otherwise, I have no idea how your items know which chest slot is "their" place. Or you spend a ton of time obsessively organizing items into "their" slots, only to do it over and over again. If you have some genius and simple system for quickly switching gear, I’d be really grateful if you could share it. I don’t have any truly good solutions for that.

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

There is a wardrobe update coming on the roadmap.  We don't know what it will actually include, but the expectation that you can swap sets of armor is probably true.  Whether they include mods in that, who knows?

I haven't seen that. That's great. Looking forward to it!

2 hours ago, bachgaman said:

but I still don’t have enough attribute mods for intellect, strength, and a few others to fully equip all possible gear sets.

I don't use these mods. In my opinion, it's easier to raise a couple of levels.

I have one equipment box. I just never press the sorting buttons in it. The width of the box is 8 cells, that's exactly 2 sets. If you take out and put away sets, then there are no problems understanding which is which.

And I only use 3 sets: the priest, which I run in, the miner and the farmer. If I pump up my agility to 10, I'll try the assassin's armor.

1 hour ago, Syphon583 said:

Hopefully the new Wardrobe update will add something like that, but until then there is this nifty little mod that lets you store armor sets on a mannequin:

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/5914

Abiotic Factor has that baked into their vanilla game, and their Halloween Update just added a quick-swap function to the armor stands to quickly swap armor.

2 hours ago, bachgaman said:

easier than what?

Easier than messing with swapping mods around. 

I don't even swap armor for anything.  It isn't worth it to me.  Whatever I wear to fight in is what I wear to mine or farm or whatever.  The bonuses just aren't really that big of a deal.  As far as the attribute mods, they are only useful in a very few cases, where you are short 1 point and really need or want some perk.  It is rare that I would ever use one.

As far as organization goes, it isn't that hard unless you want only a very few chests.  And in that case, sorting is a good way to keep track of things.  Even with armor, every armor of the same set will sort together.  As long as you aren't storing all armor and only keep what you want to swap, it isn't hard to keep things together.

8 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Easier than messing with swapping mods around. 

This thread is exactly about that. 1 point of 10th level intelligence is equivalent to 3 levels, the same applies to a cigar, for example, for strength. So, these two mods essentially give you +6 levels, which is quite a lot. Not using these attribute mods will either result in unnecessary level points wasting (and you won’t be able to replace these mods with anything useful - you’ll just have empty mod slots on your helmet) or you'll lose part of your perks. For example, Moner and Mother Lode at level 5 won't be active if you're using the cigar.

As for body armor and full set bonuses, full set bonuses are indeed often not that important, but +100% wood, is that not important? Farmer’s body armor gives +1 crop when harvesting crops. In many cases, you want a full set, though I agree that’s not always the case. For example, right now I’m not using a set but separate parts from different sets.

In certain builds, you may find yourself short on points for something you want right away.  But it really isn't common for me to have any need for an ability mod.  I use other mods instead.

As far as double wood?  Honestly, it isn't worth it to me to swap armor for that.  I don't min/max stuff like that.  I will pull out a .44 at the trader for a discount, but that is that on my tool belt.  I'll use perks or mods for discounts, but I won't swap armor for discounts or resources or even magazines points.  I have never been one to bother with such tactics in any game.  I also don't use the candies for that either.  I know people feel it is necessary to swap to get the most efficient results, but I just don't need that and so it isn't worth my time.  Even if they have swapping of sets, I wouldn't bother.  That's just me, of course.

13 hours ago, Riamus said:

In certain builds, you may find yourself short on points for something you want right away.  But it really isn't common for me to have any need for an ability mod.  I use other mods instead.

As far as double wood?  Honestly, it isn't worth it to me to swap armor for that.  I don't min/max stuff like that.  I will pull out a .44 at the trader for a discount, but that is that on my tool belt.  I'll use perks or mods for discounts, but I won't swap armor for discounts or resources or even magazines points.  I have never been one to bother with such tactics in any game.  I also don't use the candies for that either.  I know people feel it is necessary to swap to get the most efficient results, but I just don't need that and so it isn't worth my time.  Even if they have swapping of sets, I wouldn't bother.  That's just me, of course.

Am I correct in understanding that, in your opinion, a significant portion of the content is designed for min-maxers and is simply not accessible to regular players? And you see this not as bad design that needs fixing, but as a feature?

18 hours ago, bachgaman said:

Am I correct in understanding that, in your opinion, a significant portion of the content is designed for min-maxers and is simply not accessible to regular players? And you see this not as bad design that needs fixing, but as a feature?

As I said, "that's just me".  Most people do not play that way.  I also told you that they were doing an update for wardrobe that is probably going to include the ability to swap armor, so I didn't say it shouldn't be improved (I wouldn't say that's really a "fix").  I just stated that it doesn't matter to me because I don't do it.  What would matter to me is the ability to wear one kind of armor and make it look like another so I can have the look I want even if I don't like the stats on that armor.  Various other games call that transmogrification.  Other just call it cosmetic slots.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 10/11/2024 at 9:49 PM, bachgaman said:

1 point of 10th level intelligence is equivalent to 3 levels

Upgrade 1200 blocks to concrete. Or 2 stacks of wood, 2 stacks of clay and 10 stacks of stone.

6 hours ago, Suxar said:

Upgrade 1200 blocks to concrete. Or 2 stacks of wood, 2 stacks of clay and 10 stacks of stone.

Alright, bro, I’ll definitely do that on the 9th game day next time I play using intelligence. After all, it’s way easier than applying a helmet mod. Thanks for the lifehack!

On 10/12/2024 at 2:59 AM, bachgaman said:

I think it's the opposite actually, depending of course, on how strict of a min/maxer you are. The game is designed to be played however you want but I would say that the less of a min/maxer you are then the more content you can see because you don't lock yourself into the most efficient path.  I know some players with min/max tendencies who won't touch a weapon they haven't perked into. Since I don't care about how efficiently I'm using my ammo, I use a wide variety of weapons as the mood strikes me, some of which I have put zero points into. So as a non-minmaxer I am experiencing a lot more of the content.

As for armor sets, a non-minmaxer would be able to experience all of them across many playthroughs if they aren't changing clothes many many times during one playthrough. I've done two playthroughs now and I picked a primary set for each one and just stuck to that one for that playthrough. I might swap in some farmer gear before farming but I didn't change my mods. As soon as I was done farming I put my everyday armor back on and continued.

I hope the wardrobe update does include a quick change feature though. That would be a great QOL addition for everyone whether you swap armor hundreds of times in one playthrough or just a hundred times in a hundred playthroughs.

I'm looking forward to this wardrobe system, despite not knowing yet what it entails. I wish they'd give us some sort of hints on what it'll do. Is it a "closet" for quick change? A transmog feature? Tune in to find out!

16 hours ago, bachgaman said:

Alright, bro, I’ll definitely do that on the 9th game day next time I play using intelligence. After all, it’s way easier than applying a helmet mod. Thanks for the lifehack!

I usually did this when I played with strength. The main question here is in the stone, it is somewhat easier to make a concrete mixer in my opinion.