FunPimps really missed the mark on 1.0

chadmeister26

15 minutes ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

Dude, their posted roadmap is from 2013… it’s 2024. I’m pretty sure there have been some priority changes in the past 11 years, and with console players having to buy the game again as of recently, they have a lot of the funding they need to push into further advancements.

if they have released another roadmap since then, then it just further proves my point, as not everything on the original one is completed. Why? Because direction and priorities tend to change.

Double Dude 😁, The ONLY roadmap they ever posted is from June 2024 and can be viewed as a picutre here: https://7daystodie.com/v1-0-official-release-notes/ . You probably have seen it already a few times here in the forum as well.

I don't really consider their kickstarter drive to be a roadmap, as the only date in there was (like in almost every other kickstarter project) just some wild guess that was almost always missed anyway. But I could agree to call it a roadmap as well, just one not filled with any relevant dates. It had a different function, more like a promise what will come to incite people to give them money to start bigger development.

34 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Double Dude 😁, The ONLY roadmap they ever posted is from June 2024 and can be viewed as a picutre here: https://7daystodie.com/v1-0-official-release-notes/ . You probably have seen it already a few times here in the forum as well.

I don't really consider their kickstarter drive to be a roadmap, as the only date in there was (like in almost every other kickstarter project) just some wild guess that was almost always missed anyway. But I could agree to call it a roadmap as well, just one not filled with any relevant dates. It had a different function, more like a promise what will come to incite people to give them money to start bigger development.

Thank you for the link, and again this is where the devs REALLY need to update the forums, because that needs to be pinned at the top of the suggestions page, not the thing from 2013. 

The bit from 2013 is still a roadmap of sorts, as it shows where their priorities were at the time.

Also, even with the 2024 roadmap, they list the generalized features they plan to add at the time, that doesn’t mean there can’t be additional parts that tie into those updates.

Suggestions still are relevant, as you never know, even if the specific thing suggested isn’t added, it can still influence changes to other things. 

If you just shut people down when they are trying to make suggestions, you lose a lot of innovative ideas in the long run, causing the game to begin to die. 

Overall, my point is that players should continue to make suggestions for the game as long as they make some sense, without people cutting them down because of how long it would take to design or it wouldn’t be a “priority”. As ultimately, that’s up to the devs to figure out if they like the premise for the idea. 

2 hours ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

Dude, their posted roadmap is from 2013… it’s 2024. I’m pretty sure there have been some priority changes in the past 11 years, and with console players having to buy the game again as of recently, they have a lot of the funding they need to push into further advancements.

if they have released another roadmap since then, then it just further proves my point, as not everything on the original one is completed. Why? Because direction and priorities tend to change.

You are not looking at the current roadmap.  The roadmap was posted in February 2024.  The text version is in the very first post of the 1.0 Dev Diary thread, where it tells you about 1.0.  There's also an image of it that has been posted various places.  Here's one copy that I quickly found, though not the original post.  The original roadmap states that not everything will be done before gold.  The current roadmap includes the final steps until gold.  After gold, there may be some more things added to finish out the kickstarter goals, as well as some DLC, but they will start to focus most of their attention on their new game that is already in development (or at least the design stage).  They haven't yet told us what that game will be, but will likely do so after this game hits gold in under 2 years.

Note that there is a real difference between a roadmap made at the beginning of dev versus the end of dev.  At the beginning, yes, things will change for various reasons, such as wanting to do something but it just doesn't work or doesn't work the way they thought it would.  But at the end of dev, they are tying up all the loose ends to finish the game.  The roadmap is VERY unlikely to change in any meaningful way, other than dates.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/35064-version-10-alpha-22-dev-diary/?do=findComment&comment=552215

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

4 hours ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

Thank you for the link, and again this is where the devs REALLY need to update the forums, because that needs to be pinned at the top of the suggestions page, not the thing from 2013. 

The bit from 2013 is still a roadmap of sorts, as it shows where their priorities were at the time.

Also, even with the 2024 roadmap, they list the generalized features they plan to add at the time, that doesn’t mean there can’t be additional parts that tie into those updates.

Suggestions still are relevant, as you never know, even if the specific thing suggested isn’t added, it can still influence changes to other things. 

If you just shut people down when they are trying to make suggestions, you lose a lot of innovative ideas in the long run, causing the game to begin to die. 

Overall, my point is that players should continue to make suggestions for the game as long as they make some sense, without people cutting them down because of how long it would take to design or it wouldn’t be a “priority”. As ultimately, that’s up to the devs to figure out if they like the premise for the idea. 

Again, not trying to shut up people, but you said something about the roadmap being only an estimate and I disagreed. Though that isn't suprising at all since we obviously were talking about different roadmaps from different times.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Again, not trying to shut up people, but you said something about the roadmap being only an estimate and I disagreed.

I don't know that I'd disagree. Maybe my perspective is off or I've misunderstood, but TFP hasn't usually hit the rough dates it throws out when talking about future releases. I kind of recall a development release like A20 or A21 where somebody said "oh, about six months" and it was more than a year. Mind you, I'm not complaining. I've been in the software biz. I know you can't dictate innovation and a prototype-like approach to development isn't about schedules. I'm just saying, I look to the new roadmap where it says Q4 of 2024 and I think that's just a goal, not set in stone. If TFP hits it, then great. If not, /shrug.

5 hours ago, Riamus said:

You are not looking at the current roadmap.  The roadmap was posted in February 2024.  The text version is in the very first post of the 1.0 Dev Diary thread, where it tells you about 1.0.  There's also an image of it that has been posted various places.  Here's one copy that I quickly found, though not the original post.  The original roadmap states that not everything will be done before gold.  The current roadmap includes the final steps until gold.  After gold, there may be some more things added to finish out the kickstarter goals, as well as some DLC, but they will start to focus most of their attention on their new game that is already in development (or at least the design stage).  They haven't yet told us what that game will be, but will likely do so after this game hits gold in under 2 years.

Note that there is a real difference between a roadmap made at the beginning of dev versus the end of dev.  At the beginning, yes, things will change for various reasons, such as wanting to do something but it just doesn't work or doesn't work the way they thought it would.  But at the end of dev, they are tying up all the loose ends to finish the game.  The roadmap is VERY unlikely to change in any meaningful way, other than dates.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/35064-version-10-alpha-22-dev-diary/?do=findComment&comment=552215

So what is the thing with “Gold”? Are we going to be forced to buy the game AGAIN or something to get everything or what?

1 minute ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

So what is the thing with “Gold”? Are we going to be forced to buy the game AGAIN or something to get everything or what?

My understanding is current purchases cover all the way through Gold. After Gold, who knows. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, zztong said:

My understanding is current purchases cover all the way through Gold. After Gold, who knows. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.  Current game owners will get all future developments with the exception of any future DLCs.

1 hour ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

Gold is the final version of the game (not counting any bug fixes, patches, DLC, or perhaps even just some updates that they decide to add afterwards).  Gold is the end of the roadmap and when they are officially done with the game for normal development and only adding fixes and DLC type updates.  Gold is paid for already if you own the game.  The only reason console had to buy the game again was because the last version was made by a different developer who went bankrupt.  Now that TFP is making the console version themselves, you will never have to buy it again to have the current version of the game.  You may need to buy DLC if they make DLC that cost money, but that's normal.

Gold should be in under 2 years unless they have to push stuff back.  After that, their main focus will likely be moved from this game to their new game with only a small team dealing with any bugs or DLC for this game.

4 hours ago, zztong said:

I don't know that I'd disagree. Maybe my perspective is off or I've misunderstood, but TFP hasn't usually hit the rough dates it throws out when talking about future releases. I kind of recall a development release like A20 or A21 where somebody said "oh, about six months" and it was more than a year. Mind you, I'm not complaining. I've been in the software biz. I know you can't dictate innovation and a prototype-like approach to development isn't about schedules. I'm just saying, I look to the new roadmap where it says Q4 of 2024 and I think that's just a goal, not set in stone. If TFP hits it, then great. If not, /shrug.

Oh, sure, I have my doubts about the dates either, though I think they will make a much bigger effort this time to keep those dates and therefore not stuff all sorts of additional features into those releases. Because this time it isn't just some date mentioned in the forum.

But I am much more confident that really all of the features on the list will be delivered to the game.