Fill a deep swimming pool is always not available with v1.0 experimental & with futur release ?

It won't fill to the top, but will fill to about half a block from the top.  It just takes a LOT of water.  I did an entire moat around a base in A21 and am pretty sure that would still be possible in 1.0.  It takes enough water that you're not going to notice that it is filling up as you work on it.  But with enough time, it will.

I have seen zombies swimming and walking underwater. Does anyone know why they do one or the other? A moat sounds cool to slow them down, but if they walk, they will just dig under and flood your base underneath

I think the best bet is to dig a trench to the nearest body of water.  That should get your pool/moat filled without too much trouble.  I haven't done too much experimenting with that, but i think that should work just fine.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Riamus said:

It won't fill to the top, but will fill to about half a block from the top.  It just takes a LOT of water.  I did an entire moat around a base in A21 and am pretty sure that would still be possible in 1.0.  It takes enough water that you're not going to notice that it is filling up as you work on it.  But with enough time, it will.

Yes & it's the problem... In very old time the water fill not in the same way as today, we could did swimming pool very deep, as well any water lifts, big fountain every where in the base ect...

1 hour ago, Javabean867 said:

I think the best bet is to dig a trench to the nearest body of water.  That should get your pool/moat filled without too much trouble.  I haven't done too much experimenting with that, but i think that should work just fine.

Yes, actually if someone want to build a swimming pool, need to build base near a lake/river & then build directly in water...

Edited by Life_For_Dead (see edit history)

To be fair, how do you think they filled moats in the olden times.  They dug trenches to lakes/streams/rivers to get tye water to the moat.

That being said, it shouldn't be too much trouble building a base in the middle of a lake.  There was 1 in my first playthrough that would have been perfect for that. 

3 hours ago, warmer said:

I have seen zombies swimming and walking underwater. Does anyone know why they do one or the other? A moat sounds cool to slow them down, but if they walk, they will just dig under and flood your base underneath

The moat wasn't for defense.  It was just to look good around a castle base (not horde base) that we made.  We had SMG turrets all the way around the base just inside the moat, so it was rare for a zombie to end up reaching the moat.  If they did, you heard them and could go kill them easily enough.

As far as filling it went, that thing was about 40x40 square, 3 wide, 5 deep.  We didn't fill that with buckets.  Lol.  Since it was just for looks, we grabbed a bunch of stacks of water blocks from the creative menu and held the mouse button down until they were gone, then repeat with additional stacks until filled up.  It still took a very long time.  Definitely don't recommend trying that with buckets.  But filling a pool with buckets is easy enough.  I've done that also.

The water is really much better than it used to be.  Yes, there are things you could do before that you can't now, but you also didn't have a lot of air pockets if you aren't using square blocks and the water flows pretty well out of a broken pool or river or whatever.  Overall, it is a really good improvement. 

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

3 hours ago, warmer said:

From my recollection in water zombies will walk towards you and then when underneath you they would swim up to you. I think this was what they added it so you couldn't just float in deep water to escape them.

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Javabean867 said:

To be fair, how do you think they filled moats in the olden times.  They dug trenches to lakes/streams/rivers to get tye water to the moat.

That being said, it shouldn't be too much trouble building a base in the middle of a lake.  There was 1 in my first playthrough that would have been perfect for that. 

IDK what you talk about game or real life, but you should go try 7DTD version alpha 10/11/12 (or go look on youtube about water for this old versions) & then you will see how water work to do very deep swimming pool, fountain, water elevator...

& no, in old time game version, no need "one million" buckets to fill a swimming pool...

24 minutes ago, Javabean867 said:

I'm talking real life, not the game lol.  I don't know how far the water will spread, but that would be a fun test.

In the game, it will probably only spread in loaded chunks, but if you want back and forth, you could get it to continue to spread until the water in the source is level with the rest of the water. 

32 minutes ago, Life_For_Dead said:

IDK what you talk about game or real life, but you should go try 7DTD version alpha 10/11/12 (or go look on youtube about water for this old versions) & then you will see how water work to do very deep swimming pool, fountain, water elevator...

& no, in old time game version, no need "one million" buckets to fill a swimming pool...

That won't be returning, so better to find a way to do it with the new water.  I am sure you could mod those old water blocks back in if you really feel the need.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Riamus said:

That won't be returning, so better to find a way to do it with the new water.  I am sure you could mod those old water blocks back in if you really feel the need.

They change the mechanic of the water at starting with the overhaul at alpha 13, but we was always available to mod the water until alpha +/-16 (I don't remember well) because the old code of the water was always in the game file. But after alpha +/-16, devs removed the code & so the water could no longer flow down unlimited on its own...

Now I think it's impossible to change the water like in old time because after alpha +/-16, during +8 years there was no modders who build a water mod to can fill a very deep swimming pool or an water cave or to can build fountain & all other builds with water...

Or need to create a new block of water to can flow down but I think it's maybe impossible with the version free of Unity3D...

Edited by Life_For_Dead (see edit history)

I bet they have the source water block in the creation menu.  I'd check for that.  The source water block supposedly fills a volume up to its level.  IIRC that is what they are doing with the other bodies of water.

5 hours ago, Javabean867 said:

I bet they have the source water block in the creation menu.  I'd check for that.  The source water block supposedly fills a volume up to its level.  IIRC that is what they are doing with the other bodies of water.

Now all block water have the same mechanic, you place anywhere & that will do like in real life, that will get down on ground directly, before that stay anywhere you placed it & from this coordinate that flow until ground & even if we was on the sky limit to the ground limit.

Devs & players modder of prefabs, don't use a special water block to feel something, they use a select aera & then they fill this aera with water, or disable gravity.