(1.0) Experimental Animal spawns.

I am not sure if this is intended or not, but is anyone else having trouble finding Deer and Chickens.  In A21 they were quite common, but in 1.0 I have only seen 1 chicken and 0 deer.  I am on day 40. 

I haven't seen a single deer and only 1 chicken so far.  I was curious if anyone else has the same issue?  Is it intended so taking that perk is more meaningful or is it a bug.

I will definitely try the perk, but it also seems like their spawn rates are incredibly low compared to Alpha 21.

2 hours ago, SeaSquall said:

I haven't seen a single deer and only 1 chicken so far.  I was curious if anyone else has the same issue?  Is it intended so taking that perk is more meaningful or is it a bug.

I will definitely try the perk, but it also seems like their spawn rates are incredibly low compared to Alpha 21.

Bad luck?

I saw quite a few chickens and rabbits as I was going between traders, or when I came back to an area after going to a POI that was quite a ways away.

They are there, just not as densely packed as before.  I been able to spot them, but you might think of taking the first rank of the perk to assist if you are not seeing them.

Deer are more likely to spawn in at night, I have gotten a few already but they are not as dense as they were in A21.  Still, not hurting for meat.

I have a similar issue. When I change to sneak posture and the paws indicator pops up, it does not show any green animal icon on the compass most of the time. It intermittently does now and again but most of the time nothing, no compass indicator and actually no animal present either after walking all over the area. Finding any animals is very rare now. Not sure if this is intended or a bug.

I am having  the same issue as you.  I tried the perk and it often leads nowhere.  

I really do think this might be a bug.  Animal spawns are incredibly low, not just compared to A21 but just low in general.  

The perk doesn't seem to make much difference for me either. 

I do agree they should not be as high as they were in A21, but if I take the perk, I should have an animal to find at all times. 

1 hour ago, SeaSquall said:

but if I take the perk, I should have an animal to find at all times. 

That isn't how the perk works.

And honestly, I haven't seen an issue at all with hunting or finding game. Sure it is slightly less than it was in a21, but to be fair there was way more game in a21 than in most previous versions.

It is currently well balanced, and the fauna re-spawns in the biomes at an adequate pace. More than enough to feed a full crew of eight players even when you are on tier 1 cooking with bacon and eggs.

Assuming that is that you are playing the game as it was intended, and not on a 40+ slot server.

Posted (edited)

I am not trying to be rude here, but how is not seeing a single deer in 40 days balanced?  I don't think deer should be rare spawns.  Day, noon, night.  It doesn't matter the time.  I haven't seen a single one and I looked and looked.  I didn't just sit around and hope they hop in front of me like in previous versions.

You say its a bit less, but as someone who has over 1K hours in A21, it is fair bit more than "a bit" by my personal experience. 

Since you say you have no issue can you give me some pointers? 

I can only write to you what my experience is here and I have yet to see a single deer in 40 in-game days and that doesn't seem normal to me.

The only thing I see are Rabbit and Boar.   They seem to be balanced.  

I have seen other people say the same thing on other forums so this isn't just something that is happening to me. 

EDIT:  I also forgot to mention that I play solo with default settings on Survivalist.  Not sure if that affects spawns or not. 

EDIT 2:  Now I definitely know something is up with spawning.  I have 4 boar in front of me just trotting beside me not a care in the world.  I have never seen that before.   Something is up with the generation of this seed.  I started a new game with the same settings and saw a deer in a few days.    

Edited by SeaSquall (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, SeaSquall said:

I am not trying to be rude here, but how is not seeing a single deer in 40 days balanced?  I don't think deer should be rare spawns.  Day, noon, night.  It doesn't matter the time.  I haven't seen a single one and I looked and looked.  I didn't just sit around and hope they hop in front of me like in previous versions.

This is where I have trouble. How hard are you looking? How far away from the little area around your base are you going?

I can spend a day hunting. A single day with a T1 basic bow. I will grab at least one deer. Usually two.  Rarely will you see more that that. I will also get a couple of snakes, and a small number of chickens and rabbits. And that is before I even have point to spend in hunting on day one. I just cover 1000m² over the course of the day away from the city. Come back with a decent load of meat and will repeat the same pattern in a different region in a couple of days.

I find that most people who are having trouble finding wildlife either A. never leave the city, or B. Don't actually look very far.

Survivalist doesn't affect spawns.  I like to play on Warrior personally, but all that changes in the amount of damage zeds do to you, and that you do to zeds. Oh, and how often rage mode can trigger.  That is it. Difficulty really hardly changes anything. It's silly.

Deer and bears are big meat harvest animals. They should be rare. Most of your meat supply is going to be chickens and rabbits with the occasional snake.  

Pro-Tip... There are some POI's that have amazing numbers of animal spawns. And those roof vultures are super easy harvests for feathers early game.

3 hours ago, music snob said:

My issue is the buggy functionality of the hunting perk not working with not showing animals on the compass or map when it indicates that you found tracks. This seems to be broken.

I don't see the UI icons until I get within a certain distance of them but can always see them on the map before that, so I know what direction to go. Unless it tells me that no animals were found.

Posted (edited)

I even check the map, zero animals even though I have found tracks, nothing shows up on the map, nor the compass and there is definitely no animals after sneaking/walking/running around the whole area around me. It is definitely hit or miss, but mostly miss.

Edited by music snob (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I also have been experiencing the Animal Tracker perk malfunctioning. It tells me there are animals nearby, but doesn't show the icon 100% of the time on my map, hud, or compass. Yesterday, there was a chicken right in front of me, maybe 5-10 block distance away from me and it didn't have an icon, but the green footprints indicated there was something nearby. 

8 minutes ago, OneSki said:

I also have been experiencing the Animal Tracker perk malfunctioning. It tells me there are animals nearby, but doesn't show the icon 100% of the time on my map, hud, or compass. Yesterday, there was a chicken right in front of me, maybe 5-10 block distance away from me and it didn't have an icon, but the green footprints indicated there was something nearby. 

See example. Chicken in view, footprints indicate animal nearby, no visual indicator of chicken other than I can see the chicken within range.

animal_tracker_error.jpg

6 hours ago, OneSki said:

See example. Chicken in view, footprints indicate animal nearby, no visual indicator of chicken other than I can see the chicken within range.

animal_tracker_error.jpg

are you wearing perception mod on your helmet? We recently got a bug report about it causing issues with animal tracker

7 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

are you wearing perception mod on your helmet? We recently got a bug report about it causing issues with animal tracker

Hah! Yes, I am! I also noticed with that that the +1 perception doesn't actually give me access to the perks that require 1 more perception than I have.