Armor questions on 1.0

Posted (edited)

I looked at the armor system update. And I'm very skeptical about it. This is another thing that confirms that TFP is moving closer to an RPG component than to a sandbox and freedom of action. Im VERY hope that armor sets will not be tied to a specific character. Since it completely kills the point of playing solo, as many buffs from things you just will not get as you took for example lumberjack, and until the end of the game have to play with him (until the next death probably).

If armor sets can be collected in the world and used solo - I won't question how armor works (Hopefully in order to change the armor set I won't have to constantly re-click all the equipment. You can just collect a set that can be changed later if it's full). After all, then I will be able to use the maximum possibilities in singleplayer. If this system is tied to the character, its over.

I certainly realize that the next update will immaculately be a quality improvement, but it seems to me if they focused on visuals rather than gameplay and balance. That's saying something. After all, such work can be called, a beautiful wrapper with a bad candy inside. I could be wrong, but I'm reserving my vote on that tone.

Hell, I'm a such pessimist.

Edited by Unamelable (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Unamelable said:

I certainly realize that the next update will immaculately be a quality improvement, but it seems to me if they focused on visuals rather than gameplay and balance.

When all you have to show atm is work from the art team, that is what you show.  Kind of hard to feature blurb re-balancing core mechanics.  I am not sure why you folks just assume all they work on is art.

The armor will have freedom of choice as you can mix and match armor if you want to.  There has even been discussion about adding cosmetic mods down the road (was not promised though) so if you mixed armor types, you can potentially make it all look the same but get the different benefits by mixing types.

However, mixing the armor types will mean you don't receive the set bonus if each piece is from the same set.  At least that was the plan when they were discussing armor in the forums.  The version that they set on though we won't see until 1.0 drops.

Honestly, I think this armor change will drive those who constantly must play towards max efficiency nuts.  Personally, I don't have an issue with it because I like the fact that I won't always get what I want and I will have to make choices and live with them.  I also figure that the only time I would swap out armor pieces if my main activity for that day is geared towards mining - then I would take armor pieces that adds benefits to those activities....otherwise I will be wearing the same set of armor for the majority of my game play.

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

otherwise I will be wearing the same set of armor for the majority of my game play.

Honestly the type of armor absolutely does not decide because when you see a high level rag. You put it on and don't even ask yourself "is this heavy/light" type of armor? You just put it on because it's better and has more modification slots.

Hopefully armor will really decide gameplay since it doesn't feel like its impact right now

3 minutes ago, Unamelable said:

Hopefully armor will really decide gameplay since it doesn't feel like its impact right now

Armour already does.  Even level 1 padded armour lessons the chance to receive a critical hit and get infected early game.  Player's either love heavy armour/tanking hits or love light armour/avoiding being hit.

Not a big fan of the "armour set bonus" unless its generic protection for having a set.  If there are imbalanced skill/perk specific armour bonuses (like the glasses) you can bet more than just the min/maxers will be not happy.