Is it just me or is the electrical system missing something?

Posted (edited)

I've been playing around with wiring electricity and noticed a rather odd thing where I can't connect multiple switches to the same source of electricity

- For example, I want the motion sensors to work on the same bulbs so the lights work everywhere the camera can't scan me

- Add some switching sources where traps were triggered by a motion sensor and could switch to a standart switch that changed the mode of operation to constant operation

- Or eventually make a general switch to a different energy source. For example, the generator runs out of gasoline, the electricity goes to the battery pack, the batteries in the batteries run out, the electricity goes to the solar panels.

Maybe I just don't know about something - that's because I don't see the full list of crafts in the crafting menu and all things sometimes have to be searched manually. Which is weird and illogical.

Edit: Solar panels cannot be connected to each other. Or several solar panels to one battery unit.

Edited by Unamelable (see edit history)

- Now when trying to connect a motion sensor to an electrical appliance that is already connected to another motion sensor - the connection to the past parent object is lost.

- The same applies to switches between activation systems

- I can connect a solar panel to the batteries or a generator to the batteries. But there is no "electrical box" that takes electricity from multiple sources and controls their priority. (i.e. Priority 1: Battery Pack, Priority 2: Solar Panel, Priority 3: Generator). When the time is between 18:00 and 6:00, switch the priority to Priority 1: Solar Panel, Priority 2: Battery Pack (Which will be charged from the solar panels during the evening). In case of power failure, reassign the power supply to Priority 3: Generator.

Sounds complicated, but if the developers have added the ability to do electrical management. Let them make its functionality full-fledged and convenient. Because I met with these problems that I do not know how to solve (without the help of mods).

Без имени-1.png

It's clunky, and I'd love some proper gates as well.

But at least the multi-cam is possible, chains of triggers function as an OR:

If you chain trigger items (cams, tripwires and such) one after the other, whenever any of them triggers, they all let power thru.

Generator -> Cam1 -> Cam2 -> Light (whenever either sees you, light turns on)

If you want an AND-function, add a relay (or any other non-trigger) between the triggers:

Generator -> Cam1 -> Relay -> Cam2 -> Light (whenever BOTH see you, light turns on)

Multiple power sources are not possible in one chain, beyond a battery bank that can work as either an input or an output.

Solar -> BattBank -> Light

So, when a battery bank receives any power, it turns into a "power consumer", eating 5W to charge the batteries within and stops powering anything behind it. Solar produces power in the daytime, the BattBank automatically starts charging and the rest of the circuit is run off the solar. So, solar power sorta works ok.

You can also use the setup to save fuel with a generator (the charging takes way less power than the battery can provide from it), but fuel is rather easy to come by...

9 minutes ago, theFlu said:

It's clunky, and I'd love some proper gates as well.

But at least the multi-cam is possible, chains of triggers function as an OR:

If you chain trigger items (cams, tripwires and such) one after the other, whenever any of them triggers, they all let power thru.

Generator -> Cam1 -> Cam2 -> Light (whenever either sees you, light turns on)

If you want an AND-function, add a relay (or any other non-trigger) between the triggers:

Generator -> Cam1 -> Relay -> Cam2 -> Light (whenever BOTH see you, light turns on)

Multiple power sources are not possible in one chain, beyond a battery bank that can work as either an input or an output.

Solar -> BattBank -> Light

So, when a battery bank receives any power, it turns into a "power consumer", eating 5W to charge the batteries within and stops powering anything behind it. Solar produces power in the daytime, the BattBank automatically starts charging and the rest of the circuit is run off the solar. So, solar power sorta works ok.

You can also use the setup to save fuel with a generator (the charging takes way less power than the battery can provide from it), but fuel is rather easy to come by...

If solar battery's could be connected together, i probably could make electricity AFK charging without needing for refueling gen. I still confused for the fact, i can't connect any solar battery together even on relay.

Hmm, a single solar bank with a single solar cell will charge up a battery bank. It is also quite fast - you'll have something like 1H downtime in the circuit for an entirely autonomous setup. Don't know the exact time, as I think the battery will drain faster depending on your load and it's been quite a while since I messed with them.

Solar -> Timer relay (set to one hour of up time during daytime) -> Battery bank -> Circuit

When the timer is off, the circuit is run off of the full wattage of the Battery bank.

When the timer is on, the solar is the only source, potentially causing a low power situation in the circuit - but for lights AND traps, the disturbance is usually short enough not to be a problem. Just don't make your door automation lock you in while charging .. :)

Any circuit can only have one power source, it seems to be to limit the size of a single circuit. You can always set up multiple circuits if you want a lot of power, it gets cluttered, but can be done.