Soooo are water bucket physics just completely and utterly broken? Is using buckets to fill holes basically asking for disaster?

I was making holes in all kinds of sizes and shapes, with the main issue being that it used arch segments to make vertical cylinders - at first - and I could not for the life of me pour my buckets out after the first one or two. But then I tried using normal squared holes, and even just dumping water directly on the ground and I could no longer do any of this.

So.... water just @%$#ed in that game now? Or in general? Should I never decide I want a water feature in my base?

What the @%$# do I do? This is a @%$#ing nightmare and trying to find info is almost impossible because most of the references to water in A21 are the innumerable threads about glass jars.

Was able to find this old thread which basically suggests using hotbar superstition and also has no real answer to prevent it happening. Not much more than that.

Trying to use water buckets to fill anything more than a really tiny hole is a lesson in futility.  It just takes WAY too much water to make that worth trying.  I'd recommend just using CM with the water blocks.  It still takes a long time if you have a large hole to fill, but you can hold the mouse button and it'll just keep filling until you're out of blocks, so it isn't too bad.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

Trying to use water buckets to fill anything more than a really tiny hole is a lesson in futility.  It just takes WAY too much water to make that worth trying.  I'd recommend just using CM with the water blocks.  It still takes a long time if you have a large hole to fill, but you can hold the mouse button and it'll just keep filling until you're out of blocks, so it isn't too bad.

Filling the hole wasn't the problem. I was literally unable to empty my buckets. Anywhere.

I don't know if my ATTEMPT to fill a curved space somehow caused this (which would be a serious bug), but I also tried it against plain square frames. in the area.

And then out of frustration I just tried to upend the buckets on the ground and even that didn't work.

I confirmed I never changed the key for bucket secondary function. They just Would. Not. Empty. The bucket stayed stubbornly full.

2 hours ago, FramFramson said:

They just Would. Not. Empty. The bucket stayed stubbornly full.

Hopped into a test world, took a couple buckets out, one full, one empty. Poured the full one on the ground, picked it up with the empty one and poured that one out. Seemed to be working for me.

A difference to what I remember is that if I only pick up a small splash of water, it seems to only pour out a small splash as well, instead of a "full" bucket of about five blocks. Generating extra water seems difficult though.

14 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Filling the hole wasn't the problem. I was literally unable to empty my buckets. Anywhere.

I don't know if my ATTEMPT to fill a curved space somehow caused this (which would be a serious bug), but I also tried it against plain square frames. in the area.

And then out of frustration I just tried to upend the buckets on the ground and even that didn't work.

I confirmed I never changed the key for bucket secondary function. They just Would. Not. Empty. The bucket stayed stubbornly full.

One thing I noticed when I tried filling a pool with a bucket in the past was that it mattered where you aimed.  I forget it it worked when aiming at the wall of the pool or the bottom, but the other didn't work for me.  So try pointing at different places and see if that helps.

59 minutes ago, Riamus said:

One thing I noticed when I tried filling a pool with a bucket in the past was that it mattered where you aimed.  I forget it it worked when aiming at the wall of the pool or the bottom, but the other didn't work for me.  So try pointing at different places and see if that helps.

Oh that's fiddly for sure, but after a while I knew it wasn't that. I tried sticking frames in the hole to have a flat surface to throw things into but that didn't allow me to pour either, and it persisted elsewhere, as I mentioned, I made new holes (a 1x1 cube hole, as plain as could be and a larger one) and even tried pouring on the ground.

Something happened where the buckets I'm using (and I rotated between a half-dozen or so) just do not empty into anything or anywhere.

It's a little finicky at the moment, but use the secondary to suck up/place water for the best results. You can use a console command too if you want by dropping/resizing a z-block (z, with dm on), and enter "swv 1" in the console (use a decimal less than 1 if you want to fill a different size, such as .5 for half)