Does terrain type matter for building difficulties?

rah2644

Current game I am playing all the T6 quests are all in the wasteland city.  If I make a map that is 100% desert and forest, will all of the buildings be a lower difficulty?  Curious because it always seems like you see much harder buildings in snow/wasteland and dont want to kill my lategame if that will happen going all desert/forest

The building tier itself doesn't change.  However, the biome increases the difficulty.  Look at the skulls on the danger meter to see the increase.  Forest has no increase.  This increase does impact the difficulty of the area, including inside POI.

There are different lootstages for different biomes. Am pretty sure this changes the difficulty of the zombies also. Harder biome = harder zombies plus better lootstage.

From what I remember. I think you should be able to google 7 days to die and lootstage.

lol Riamus, message came up you posted just before I finished my post.

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Dang, I just like the desert best for home base.  Sightlines, open feel and whatnot, but don't want to screw myself on looting endgame so thanks.  Just dont like building my base in wasteland or traveling >2km for each top level quest.  Keep trying to make random gen maps, but its so not random lol.  Same percentages get you same map every time.  Figure if I can get one with a desert city or two close to a large wasteland city could work well I guess.

Basically wanting the building to be 4-5skull, and +1 or 2

*so a T6 quest in wasteland will be harder and better loot than a t6 quest in desert?  Those are my endgame usually

Edited by rah2644
added question (see edit history)

1 hour ago, rah2644 said:

Dang, I just like the desert best for home base.  Sightlines, open feel and whatnot, but don't want to screw myself on looting endgame so thanks.  Just dont like building my base in wasteland or traveling >2km for each top level quest.  Keep trying to make random gen maps, but its so not random lol.  Same percentages get you same map every time.  Figure if I can get one with a desert city or two close to a large wasteland city could work well I guess.

Basically wanting the building to be 4-5skull, and +1 or 2

*so a T6 quest in wasteland will be harder and better loot than a t6 quest in desert?  Those are my endgame usually

To answer the last question, yes.  At least up to the point where loot stops mattering because you already have the best stuff.  You will eventually be at the point where you can loot the best stuff no matter where you are, including the forest.  At that point, home has no real effect other than how it looks and certain enemies that only spawn in certain biomes.  Biome difficulty has far more impact early in the game or even mid-game than it does late-game.

If you want to give it a try, Teragon is a third party map generator with tons of options that allow you to make a wide variety of maps.

Also, in case you missed it, they plan to add fast travel between traders, so it will be easier to quest in one area while you have your base on another.  Not sure yet if that will be in A22 or later, though.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Thanks Riamus!  Yea guess even now the loot doesn't really matter too much, it's more the number of enemies and difficulty.  Might be slim pickings for T6 quests without the wastelands though, least current game they are all wasteland only no forest, desert or snow ones yet.  Hmm, idk on the fast travel, a bit less survivalist lol but handy on big maps

12 minutes ago, rah2644 said:

Thanks Riamus!  Yea guess even now the loot doesn't really matter too much, it's more the number of enemies and difficulty.  Might be slim pickings for T6 quests without the wastelands though, least current game they are all wasteland only no forest, desert or snow ones yet.  Hmm, idk on the fast travel, a bit less survivalist lol but handy on big maps

Tip:  if you like the map that you have from RWG but would prefer the biomes to be some differently, you can get easily edit the biomes.png file in your world folder after generating the map before you create a new save with that map.  Open it on an image editor (even MS Paint works well) and paint the biomes however you like.  The only requirement is that the biome colors must be exact matches to the expected colors.  You can use the color picker tool in the image editor to select the exact color from the biome on the map you are editing to get the exact RGB values.  That tool usually looks like an eye dropper.

Another thing you can do is make a small modlet and replace the current desert biome settings with wasteland to jump up the difficulty

Something like:

<set xpath="//biome[@name='desert']/@lootstage_modifier">1.5</set>

<set xpath="//biome[@name='desert']/@lootstage_bonus">20</set>

<set xpath="//biome[@name='desert']/@gamestage_modifier">1.5</set>

<set xpath="//biome[@name='desert']/@gamestage_bonus">30</set>

<set xpath="//biome[@name='desert']/@difficulty">5</set>