(A21) Outback Roadies

arramus

About
Outback Roadies is an expansion for 7 Days to Die with an Australian theme. It has been on the cards for some time in one way or another, and SpecBytes from SpecBytes gaming put in a proposal to bring in some hostile kangaroos...and the wheels started turning.

It can be downloaded through the 7D2D Mod Launcher using this link here or here.

Direct access through Github is here.

Here are a few images and instructions to get you started.

The menu screen shows 'The Compound' in the background with most of the vehicles. Fluffy Panda placed a couple of these out there in the custom World. Seeing this screen will tell you it has installed appropriately and is recognised.
spacer.png

We now need to come out and manually install the 10K Australia Outback Roadies World.  It will not appear until manually installed because it has been zipped. This is because it is HUGE in both size and file size and was zipped to reduce download time. Fluffy Panda also kindly processed it. This means that gaming buddies do not need to download it from a server or player since they already have it fully processed in their own files. This will stop server timeouts as that can be a thing for players with limited internet access, WiFi, or dodgy hops.

The 10K Australia Outback Roadies World is contained directly within the Mods folder for Outback Roadies. This image shows it for a Mod Launcher installation.

spacer.png

That needs to be taken out of its zipped folder and placed in your Worlds folder. For the Mod Launcher it is one folder back in the GeneratedWorlds folder. For default installation, it's in the AppData player saves area and also in a GeneratedWorlds folder. If this folder doesn't already exist, make one. It is automatically made when creating your own RWG. Alternatively, place it in your Data/Worlds folder in the main directory for default installation. The folder inside the zipped folder is called 10K Australia Outback Roadies. There will be 19 files in it. Be careful not to nest it in an additional folder when extracting from the zipped folder.

spacer.png

Here is a preview of the World. Fluffy Panda has got it spot on and the level of immersion greatly benefits from this level of detail and care.

spacer.png

Once you have manually installed the World, it will be visible in the Game World selection area.
spacer.png

At this point, we can start our play through.

spacer.png

Upon joining the World, you will receive an intro message. It lets you know there is a 'doggo' helper nearby. It may be behind you, or it may have run off to attack a crazy kangaroo so check around. Open your can of dog meat and give the contents to doggo to hire it as a helper.

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can instruct your helper(s) to perform certain tasks. In this image, Fluffy will loot rubbish and nests after being instructed to 'loot around here'.

spacer.png

You'll find a Starter Kit and Vehicle (a chance to receive 1 of 9 choices) in your toolbelt and you'll need them as it's hostile out there. Not so much the zombies though, but more the animals. May Red and Thee Legion set them up to be pretty mean.

spacer.png

There are only 2 starter quests for Bedroll and Campfire. Use your vehicle wisely as it can serve as your mobile home until you get established.

spacer.png

The rest is pretty much up to you.

Hints/Tips:

- Chop down trees for Witchetty Grubs and the curative properties they provide.

- Wrench wooden barrels for water, and butcher everything for resources.

- Ammo crates have ammo in them, wouldn't you know...
- Watch out for spiders.

- Magpies can be butchered for meat and put into Meat pies.
- Don't be spitting nitro into the fuel line until you can spare it.
- Vehicles have pretty high HP for roadkill and larger fuel tanks for storage.

- Zombimite is real...

Known Issues
Extreme purists will instantly notice an abundance of assets that do not match the real life locality, and good on ya! If it becomes a probbo in the poco, simply crack open a tinny, put your matilda over your shoulder, and go on a walkabout waltz in the Outback where you can whinge about it to a roo. For now, it is what it is.

Credits - Primary
EndZ Devs - Thee Legion and May Red for bringing the Poco Vehicles and Australian animals through the whole Unity process from shop to drop. Check out EndZ on the Mod Launcher.
FluffyPanda - Created and further customised the 10K Australia World for Outback Roadies. It's a real work of art and the attention to detail is genius.
NPC Mod Team - Sphereii, Xyth, and the whole NPC Mod Team for 0-Score and 0-XNPCCore to help power the entities and other quality of life additions.

Oakraven - Quality of Life additions from Oakraven Collection assets.

Without these vehicles, entities, World, and QoL extras, the immersion would simply not be there. May Red told us she is pretty new to modding, but these aussie entities are going to blow your mind, literally. Thee Legion has fine tuned the vehicles to road warrior specifications and the combination of handling and roadkill capability are going to bring many smiles. Fluffy Panda has released a number of custom Worlds for the community and kindly allowed the 10K Australia World to be added to Outback Roadies. In fact, it could receive an update to accommodate 'The Compound' POI from Mad Max 2 along with additional updates to bring extra value. The NPC Mod Team provide both foreground and background features to power Outback Roadies. Flying aussie spiders? You betcha. Remote crafting as default, and all the optional extras the NPC Mod can provide. And last, but certainly not least, are Oakraven Collection Mods. This includes the new Can Can Bat which can be found in the player Starter Pack when first joining the World.

Credits - Support
SprcBytes and Cemblack - First hand consultation and feedback to ensure the concept and context match the locality and theme.
Syco54645 - A19 Farming where seedlings remain when crops are harvested.
KhaineGB - Quality of Life additions with multiple integrated modlets.
Darkstardragon - Comprehensive one on one support.
bdubyah - Template code advice and support.
Guppy's Unofficial 7DtD Modding Community - Support for all aspects of modding.
arramus - Taking guardianship of integration and hooking it all up. Watched Mad Max and Neighbours enough times to get some of the basics in place.

Terms of Use

Permission is not given to redistribute any part of Outback Roadies.
This includes as a complete mod, or any of the assets contained within.

Redistributing Outback Roadies will cause licensing issues for assets that are paid for, and increases the potential for a file mismatch.
For more information, read the TFP Guidelines on Modding Policy here.

Edited by arramus
Removing embedded recalcitrant link. (see edit history)

Well. I tried the mod... I think I'll go back to Darkness Falls... it's much EASIER! Fuggin magpies, flying spiders, joeys, platypuses, lizards, all with HUGE aggro range kept following me forever. Didn't manage to be safe for a second. Maaaaaybe tone the abundance of aggro animals down a notch, please? I liked the MM2 compound, but I did not dare to go near, since I saw 3 cops and I was level 0. But when I saw a cassowary, I said, nope.

11 hours ago, Krvavy said:

Well. I tried the mod... I think I'll go back to Darkness Falls... it's much EASIER! Fuggin magpies, flying spiders, joeys, platypuses, lizards, all with HUGE aggro range kept following me forever. Didn't manage to be safe for a second. Maaaaaybe tone the abundance of aggro animals down a notch, please? I liked the MM2 compound, but I did not dare to go near, since I saw 3 cops and I was level 0. But when I saw a cassowary, I said, nope.

Personally: the magpies have a bit high hit points for a bird. They killed me a lot, which is fun, but thats my only input so far :)

edit: other than i love/appreciate any mod that adds any new animals/zeds. Snufkins server aide zeds used to have a "geist" flying zed that shot at you and had  like ... 1200? 1800? Hit points and yeah i dropped that down to 600 i think. I couldn't handle that day 1 with stone arrows, and it hunted you mercilessly

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

Here is a small update for Outback Roadies:

- Rocket Fire (Ammo) variant added to Rocket Launcher rocket types. It unlocks in relation to HE and Frag rockets. It has very low block damage and entity damage for a direct hit, but will cause molotov type damage over time. This weapon will support players facing a spider horde or other high density entity situation.

- The Oakraven Ammo Press has been added to Outback Roadies as the 'Roadies Ammo Press'. Its benefits include small form factor, half crafting time for bulk ammo, and very low 'heat' since it performs a simple and repetitive workstation process.

- Magpie HP reduced from 100 to 65 HP. This will allow it to be eliminated with 1 power hit with a bladed weapon, either instantly or with a small delay for bleed out depending on weapon quality. Since players already start with a knife, it will be an easier process. The Magpie is no issue on its own at 100 HP. At 65 HP it will be much easier to remove since it generally attacks when a player is injured and often assists zombies. Frequency of appearances has already been thoroughly tested by very casual gamers at default difficulty. It had already been reduced prior to release. If HP is still too high, consider lowering your game difficulty.

A few pictures to demonstrate.

Rocket Fire (Ammo) joins Frag and HE at level 45 for explosives. It can also be found in loot and at the traders.

spacer.png

Good range, with accuracy comparable to other Rocket types.

spacer.png

Performs its intended function appropriately.

spacer.png

Recipe requirements are proportional to function and its contemporaries.

spacer.png

The Roadies Ammo Press is set at Level 40 in the same tier as Cement Mixer. As bulk ammo becomes unlocked, it will bring further gains with its recipe time reductions.

spacer.png

On their own, the reduction from 100 to 65 HP for magpies becomes an easy interaction since power attacks coupled with knife bleed out can drop them in one hit as with a vulture. At night and coupled with an existing zombie attack, they will remain testy. This brings them as low as their HP needs to go for default interactions when considered a one on one attack.

spacer.png

Here is a small update for Roadies.

1. Boss Fred n Sam, Sally, and Sidney Combos

The boss spiders will most visit during the night or in more hostile biomes at any time.

They have the regular queen melee type with temporary venom screen buff, but have higher HP, XP, and loot drop probability.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

You will have other chances to claim it with the same 20 meat count. They will appear in the biomes from time to time, and you can eventually have your own pack if you desire.

If you want one now, here are some instructions to make one appear if you are playing in single player or have Admin Rights.

1. Press the F1 key and it will show the game console.

2. Type 'dm' and press enter. It will activate debugmenu.

3. Press the F6 key and highlight the small 'biome spawner' choice.

4. Type Fox. It will show the NPC Fox choice.

5. Click on the NPC Fox choice and it will appear on your cross hairs area.

6. Approach and hire with your 20 meat.

7. F1 and type 'dm' and press enter. It will deactivate debugmenu.

Here is a small update for Outback Roadies.

1. Adding Quest Notes to quest loot and safes for Elimination Challenges.

There are 4 elimination quests for Spiders, Hostile Aussie Animals, Rabbits, and Mini Radiated Burnt zombies. The counts are 100, 100, 25, and 25 respectively with 2 Skill Points for 100 and 1 Skill Point for 25. These are not automatically repeatable and are found in end quest loot or safes at a rate of about 1 in 5.

spacer.png

No matter what I've tried I cannot get the mod to work, it gets stuck at creating player with Nullreference error going on forever. I have completely removed all files associated with 7 days, tried loading through the mod launcher and manually installing all to the same end. Help!

In such situations, it's helpful to share the log, since it will show exactly what is happening when loading the mod. It can show version, possible conflicts, and other information.

Since this occurs when have attempted to load manually and through the Mod Launcher, it is also worth verifying 7 Days in Steam to ensure nothing has corrupted. It sounds like you have already cleared the main game Mods folder and AppData Mods folder of any other mods.

Here's a small update for Roadies:

1. The Cooking Pot has received a new icon and is renamed to Billy Can Bush Pot to localising.

2. Billy Tea and Billy Tea Leaves are added as a drink and recipe item. The leaves can be purchased from the trader or found in quest loot. The drink can be made on the camp fire or bought from the vender machine. The drink provides a similar benefit to Red Tea and Mineral Water. It fits just in between the middle for benefits.

spacer.png

Was very curious on something my husband and I downloaded the mod. Love it!!! But we seem to be having an issue with a boss spider the one with a zombie on it. Shot at it stabbed it for over 30 min and couldn't kill it. Kept getting the metal ore sound when we hit it. Does it need a special weapon to take down??

Ah yes. Queen Fred. That one needs to be hit on the spider's head, as the body on top is just a passive attachment and takes no damage. However, it is a pretty tough spider and has very high Hit Points. Best to stay away from it until you have stronger weapons or ammo to waste. You can set up a spike trap for it which will also take it down. It is like a Soldier Spider. It can't recuperate its health like a radiated entity, but it has hit damage resistance. If the chance arrives, burn it so soften it up.

This is actually the second time this has been raised today, and it was raised by a player who takes on the role of 'Cook/Farmer'. It has just been addressed and please download the update to benefit.

Here is the update, with a description of how it has been addressed:

1. Living Off The Land Skill for Wild Wheat yield

For players who invest in the Living Off The Land Skill Perk, the Wild Wheat has been added as a wild crop. This puts it on part with other wild crops and keeps to how the game balances these things. This means that there will be a double and triple harvest depending on Skill Perk Level. Wild Wheat has a 15% chance to be harvested with every hit. Each harvest can yield between 2 - 5 Wild Wheat. With this Living Off The Land update there is a much greater chance to see a huge increase in yield on those lucky higher amounts. This has the potential to bring in half of the required amount of Wild Wheat for a bag of Wheat in a single lucky hit. Less time spent harvesting until you're good to make your Sangas, Damper, and so on.

As for speed side of things:

The fastest way to harvest Wild Wheat is with a bone knife or knife. Players who level up their knife speed and stamina, and invest in Living Off The Land Skill will never be wanting for Wild Wheat ever again... unless they strip the fields absolutely bare of grasses. This is not a realistic prospect since there is high and low level grass practically everywhere in the Pine Forest. Even if you did strip the area around your base, we can continue to collect Wild Wheat from renewable sources such as quest POIs.

Here is the most effective and efficient combination for max yield in the least amount of time.

Knife or Bone Knife + Agility Attribute + Deep Cuts (for stamina) + Whirlwind Skill (for speed) + Living Off The Land

Default for a Knife or Bone Knife is 120 attacks per minute, but if you invest skill into the Agility Attribute with Whirlwind Skill and Deep Cuts, you'll effectively become a human harvester.

Whirlwind Skill has the potential to increase that 120 attacks per minute to 150 attacks per minute for that +25% gain. And if you invest in Deep Cuts, your stamina will not fail you when hydrated and fed. It is a strong combination. Living Off The Land can trip those Wild Crop yields.

Here is an example with all of those Mad Maxed out:

This was strictly timed to 60 seconds. I could yield 131 Wild Wheat for a potential 4 bags of Wheat Flour. It could have been more, but I stopped for an egg nest and got an eggie, which supports some of the wild wheat recipes. That combination will put combined harvesters out of business. Based on having 196 Grass Fibre, at 2 per hit, that was 98 hits in total. I may have totally missed on some occasions and took time out for that nest, and the potential is certainly high enough to put combine harvesters out of business. Thank you to all the party cooks and farmers who take care of our sustenance needs. ^^

spacer.png

I'm pretty thick skinned so no worries there. Not as thick skinned as a Frill Necked lizard, but who is...

Here is a small update for the cooks, and this will benefit SpecBytes for cooking, while Cemblack will benefit from the farming update, for our play throughs.

SpecBytes, Cemblack, and I do a weekly Roadies stream for the SpecBytes community members. It gives me a heap of hands on dev checking opportunities, and SpecBytes asked for something with hostile Kangaroos in it and this is what came from it.

1. Wood Burning Roadies Stove

This stove is a working stove and matches the features of a campfire. It can accept placing things on top, and has a small burning effect when it's turned on.

The Chicken is purely warming its feet as it can get cold out there. The doggo appreciates it as well.

spacer.png

SpecBytes last stream is here. It was a great chance to check on the recent updates for stability and have some fun while at it.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/go00V1p.jpeg[/img]

Outback Roadies is always going to be primarily about the animals, but the Wasteland and Burnt will still have some of the remnant humanoid types in the form of the Head Hunters in greater abundance, with a token gesture elsewhere.

They are made up of 3 nurses and 5 war boy entities. Nurse Barbie has a fire melee chance, and Nurse Jazlyn is surrounded by a radiation field. All the rest will just try to rip your head off, as usual without any special powers. They are considered Rad types and will be in all biomes. The Pine Forest will see a very low amount of them scattered here and there. The Wasteland and Burnt will be more populated. In all cases, they are seem more at night.

The War Boy Head Hunters are Bazza, Lazza, Dazza, Tezza, and Jezza. The nurses are Barbie (fire feature), Kylie (keeps coming back to melee), and Jazlyn (dazzling view with rad effect).

Thank you to Oakraven for kindly sharing these with the community.

spacer.png

Harley Quinn is governed by the NPC Mod part of Outback Roadies. She is very much a hostile bandit type, and I don't expect that to change. The Nurse, Baker, Harley Quinn, Doggo 'Fox', and a few custom zombies come packaged with the NPC Mod and are left to their own devices with how they were originally set up. There are additional Add On Packs which provide different types of helper NPCs and Bandit types. It is always possible to release an optional mod for the Optional Mods folder which can 'turn on' Bandits so they don't appear if a request comes in for that.

Here is an update for the Outback Roadies:

1. Cricket Bats

Two new cricket bats have been added as T3 melee weapons with a slight edge on the Steel Club.

One is called 'The Don Don Bat' and has a classic look about it. Both bats take melee mod overlays.

spacer.png

The other is 'The Club House Bat'. It has a Koala sticker overlay on the face and looks a lot more modern.

spacer.png

2. Clothing Dyes

The first image shows the Aussie Green and Gold dyes added to clothing. These use the exact colour codes for the national colours. They may look a little different in game, but such is. Dress in a range of cricket colours when hitting for 6.

Thank you to Oakraven for these kind offerings for the Outback Roadies.

I may be missing something, but I'm hosting a server and trying to get the map working, but when I put it in the GeneratedWorlds folder, it's still creating a world map.  I am using CubeCoders AMP server manager to host the server.  Any else run into this issue and know what I need to do to fix it?

Thank you.