Trains

MOSCAL

Hello everyone, perhaps this idea has already been proposed, but in any case, I want to know how you like the idea of adding trains to the game, which could significantly increase the player’s mobility and at the same time be a mobile base, which could in the future become an armored train with guns, etc. .
All settlements would be connected by railway, so that from the very beginning of the game it would be possible to travel on a handcar that would work like a bicycle.
In general, this idea has huge potential and if I’m not the only one, I’ll be glad to receive your feedback!

Trains are a common suggestion, but unlikely to ever make it into vanilla.  For them to function well, there are a lot of issues in this kind of game that they just aren't going to want to deal with.  As a side note, they are adding fast travel via helipads, so you'll have more mobility at that point.

Trains would be great, but unless a modder want to do it, I wouldn't ever expect to see it in this game.

Tracks are easy and there are mods and custom POI that have tracks and I think there is even a vanilla railroad crossing, though that might be a custom one.  Hard to keep track sometimes.  But making trains that move on the tracks is another story.

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

Trains are a common suggestion, but unlikely to ever make it into vanilla.  For them to function well, there are a lot of issues in this kind of game that they just aren't going to want to deal with.  As a side note, they are adding fast travel via helipads, so you'll have more mobility at that point.

Trains would be great, but unless a modder want to do it, I wouldn't ever expect to see it in this game.

Yes, I perfectly understand how difficult it is to implement, but I think in any case it would be better and more realistic than just fast movement, and you can make a map with ready-made railway tracks on a prepared map, it seems like the game already has several ready-made maps, but at random on the generated maps, the paths would be laid by the players.

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

Tracks are easy and there are mods and custom POI that have tracks and I think there is even a vanilla railroad crossing, though that might be a custom one.  Hard to keep track sometimes.  But making trains that move on the tracks is another story.

Yes, but the game already has a car, a motorcycle and a gyroplane, so a moving train is of course a dream, but definitely not a fantasy :)

The way the game is laid out, being a voxel-based game, makes it difficult to make something like a train move on its own following tracks.  Keeping in mind that the game pathing follows straight horizontal or vertical lines and not angles, it makes it very difficult to do a good track that the train can follow without a lot of work that they just aren't going to want to do.  If you've ever played something like Transport Tycoon or a similar type of transport game that includes trains, you'd see how the tracks follow straight lines and the corners are 90 degrees.  Although you could make tracks that have a slower turn in this game, making the train follow that would be much harder.  It isn't impossible, no.  But it is certainly extremely unlikely they would want to spend the time necessary to do that.  Besides, they have said they don't plan to add any other vehicles except perhaps a raft.

If the 4x4 could be made to "drive forward forever with no driver" (still using gas) could imagine some sort  orshort block (flat, like a 1/2 block) that could be used to "guide it" in between its wheels as a "track" in a straight line, and for turns you would have to have a tunnel or "walled slow turn" it could be sent into and guided back onto the "track".  Then.... reskin the 4x4 as a train (or maybe use the bus vehicle). ? Or maybe just leave it as the 4x4.

in this way, you have a train. Not a fun train, prob not a good train) except maybe you could be in and shoot from it. You would need a way to fill it up and stop it (manually). 

Also: hilarious if it gets off track as unless "caught" it just keeps going, i guess ramming into something or flying off the map.

The only part i find unappealing is not being able to build on it, but the vehicles already have "storage" (which could be increased) so that might be nice As you could "send the train off" from a mine and the at the end just have it hit a wall and "stop at the station" where another person could turn it off, unload, pick it up and send it back.

not sure about the chunk loading being an issue.... maybe the train would not go far until a player got near it to load the next chunk of track, so maybe you would always have to "ride the train" to get it to move around the map. But not having to drive manually would be fun (and shoot zeds from it as it moves and a great "massive base mover" for a large storage. Even if you didnt put down a track it might be fun if its block damage was high (just jump in and let it go straight until you hit a building "found a new town!" Or fall into a pit and die. Gotta pay attention while riding.

anyway: just thoughts

Addendum: if it could pull anything at all... it would have to be the big "propane tank" prop that blows up when damaged. Then you could use the train as a remote zombie destroying device (release and shoot at it... or modify the timed charge to go off after a long time, attach it to the propane tank, send the train off.)

and: yeah it needs a train horn sound and the chugga chugga chugga sound while its running.. all see very do-able.

so: just need vehicle to travel forward but not player controlled?  Option to have large propane tank/block attached behind it?

I don't want to pretend to know how to mod this game... because I don't. But, I could see this as some sort of extension of the existing vehicle system. The biggest difference is that you don't really have control on turning, instead the direction of the 'vehicle' is tied to a 'track' in front of it. The other part would be figuring out how to chain two or more vehicles together. This idea sort of assumes you can't move around the interior of the train, though - since everyone is a passenger. But, maybe there is a way for players to control turrets while in passenger seat to make it more interactive. Have a large amount of storage too.