A consideration about modding

So a lot of people know that TFP usually @%$#s up in new updates, with more features removed and less implemented in the past, without mods the game would be much less popular and loved, if not dead like many survival games. But even then,  the modding implementation in this game feel not "complete", there are a lot of variations in the mechanics and stuff but if you think about it most of the time they are custom reskins of already present elements in the game, with numeric differences, like veichles and stuff, same goes for overhaul mods that still need to get functionality from the game core, so i was wondering why its not possible to build in completely new things starting from modding itself, for example:

-You can add new guns, but no new animations or special features, same for food

-Not all weapons attachment are visible, and some have no immersion functionality ( can't place bipod etc )

-Implementing functional and creative traps is hard, some of the best mods in this case are the ones that bring back removed traps, like spike logs and barbed wire

-Can't really mod in new zombies with unique characterization and behaviour

-Veichles are almost all the same, even modded ones feel too similar and the ones that dares to be special are janky af, i was incredibily surprised when i saw the Shooting Apache mod, but still

-Can't properly mod in new weather and enviormental elements, no storms that makes zombies freak out and wander more, or lightning interfering with electricity for example

-Physics in this game is so marginal that you could remove it all together and it wont make a difference, it almost only exist for the falling, but i get the limitation of game engine

So imagine the endless possibilities, yet sometimes the most ambitious mods appear to still work by workaround, and not a full polished implementation, i mean modders managed to implement Working NPCS right before the game owners, considering the "not moving" pace at which the game is being developed, why isn't more, if not complete, power given to people that can think of this stuff instead of developers, so the TFP can actually focus on the game core structure and reach final release in a perfect state once and for all  before the end of times?  is it because they still want to surf the "still in alpha, every update is like a new game" argument and sell and grow popularity on it ?

Look at what garrys mod did, i don't mean to replicate exactly that, but even half would be incredible for a game like this, but i may be daydreaming

18 minutes ago, fallenbox said:

i mean modders managed to implement Working NPCS right before the game owners

Are you refering to the NPCs that turned up in A16?

That's a myth (AFAIK), the NPCs used in the mods then were NPCs developed by TFP but deemed not good enough so they weren't activated in the game. The modders did just turn them on (again AFAIK).

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 7:05 PM, meganoth said:

Are you refering to the NPCs that turned up in A16?

That's a myth (AFAIK), the NPCs used in the mods then were NPCs developed by TFP but deemed not good enough so they weren't activated in the game. The modders did just turn them on (again AFAIK).

This is correct. The other thing I have seen moders do is simply re-skin existing NPC's. Usually it's a trader, but I have seen it done for the survivor/bandit code as well. 

Also note that the modding platform is not final yet for this title, and Workshop support is also planned.

Personally the only thing I use mod wise is Terragon for map making. The vanilla game and all the settings is truly all I need. Most mods I have come across just don't mesh well with the game graphically or implementation wise from my experience. They feel pasted on rather than an extension of what is.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)