The "No Hit" Challenge

Hells_Janitor

A modlet for "No Hit" challenge players.

Put simply, all this mod does is make your character instantly die from enemy damage.

Included are 3 on-screen counters:

1: Kills - kills since your last death. ALL kills now count, including kills from DoT damage.

2: Kills total - total number of kills for this game/save/playthrough  (for non-permadeath players)

3: Deaths - self-explanatory really, but deaths for this game/save/playthrough (again, for non-permadeath players)

There is a flashing orange zombie icon on the screen to remind you that you're one hit from death :)

link to download the modlet: HellsJanitor/No-Hit-Challenge: a modlet for "no hit" challenge players (github.com)

HUGE thanks to redbeardt for the Harmony patch that made the on-screen kill counters work.

Have fun!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 6:45 AM, lordneg said:

how easy would it be to just make the one hit part work without the rest of it? thanks :) 

This is my mod I used in A20. Haven't tried in A21.

<one-shot-kill>
    <set xpath="/items/item//property[@name='DamageEntity']/@value">2000</set>
</one-shot-kill>

It just sets all zombie damage to 2000, so one touch should kill you.

2 hours ago, seven said:

<one-shot-kill>
</one-shot-kill>

nifty, thanks I will see if I can try it out.

To @Hells_Janitor  I went in and set all the damage that was 999999 to 75. the first time I get hit it works, I take 75 point, after that hits just do normal damage . Do I need to change anything else so I will always take 75 points of damage, I just want the zombies to hit alot harder. thanks :) 

16 hours ago, lordneg said:

nifty, thanks I will see if I can try it out.

To @Hells_Janitor  I went in and set all the damage that was 999999 to 75. the first time I get hit it works, I take 75 point, after that hits just do normal damage . Do I need to change anything else so I will always take 75 points of damage, I just want the zombies to hit alot harder. thanks :) 

18 hours ago, seven said:

<one-shot-kill>
</one-shot-kill>

The above would work for one hit kills, and you could also change the '@value' to whatever number you like - the caveat being that every single entity's melée and ranged damage would be set to that number.

So, using your example, if you were to add an items.xml xpath document, and it looked like this:

<one-shot-kill>
    <set xpath="/items/item//property[@name='DamageEntity']/@value">75</set>
</one-shot-kill>

Then every single entity's damage, ranged and melée, would be set to 75.

You could increase entity damage with a buff, or you'd have to edit each zombie entity's 'DamageEntity' value individually.

You could also try changing the duration of the 'buffOneHitKill' to say, 1 second. So that buff would look like this:

<buff name="buffOneHitKill" hidden="true">        
        <duration value="1"/>        

<effect_group>            
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyStats" stat="Health" operation="subtract" value="75"/>        
        </effect_group>        
    </buff>

Edited by Hells_Janitor
additional idea/information (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Hells_Janitor said:

The above would work for one hit kills, and you could also change the '@value' to whatever number you like - the caveat being that every single entity's melée and ranged damage would be set to that number.

So, using your example, if you were to add an items.xml xpath document, and it looked like this:

<one-shot-kill>
    <set xpath="/items/item//property[@name='DamageEntity']/@value">75</set>
</one-shot-kill>

Then every single entity's damage, ranged and melée, would be set to 75.

You could increase entity damage with a buff, or you'd have to edit each zombie entity's 'DamageEntity' value individually.

You could also try changing the duration of the 'buffOneHitKill' to say, 1 second. So that buff would look like this:

<duration value="1"/>        

<effect_group>            
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyStats" stat="Health" operation="subtract" value="75"/>        
        </effect_group>        
    </buff>

((You could also try changing the duration of the 'buffOneHitKill' to say, 1 second. So that buff would look like this: ))what would this do? I know the point of this mod is for one hit, but I am trying to make it more like two hits will kill :) thanks for all the help and hard work. I have been trying to learn html and I have gotten better and changing mods, but I am not quite able to write my own yet.. so thanks very much for any help and wisdom. 

25 minutes ago, lordneg said:

((You could also try changing the duration of the 'buffOneHitKill' to say, 1 second. So that buff would look like this: ))what would this do? I know the point of this mod is for one hit, but I am trying to make it more like two hits will kill :) thanks for all the help and hard work. I have been trying to learn html and I have gotten better and changing mods, but I am not quite able to write my own yet.. so thanks very much for any help and wisdom. 

It just changes how long the buff lasts. The value of 0 is infinite, but changing it to 1 would make the buff last 1 second. The 'value="75"' is what changes how much damage the entity will do, in this case, 75 damage.

49 minutes ago, Hells_Janitor said:

It just changes how long the buff lasts. The value of 0 is infinite, but changing it to 1 would make the buff last 1 second. The 'value="75"' is what changes how much damage the entity will do, in this case, 75 damage.

well it has made it work how I was hoping it would. each hit seems to be doing 75 points of damage. thanks now zombies are scary :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 2:18 PM, seven said:

<one-shot-kill>
</one-shot-kill>

So, I thought I'd check this in A21 and it doesn't work, at least not for all zombies. Basic zombies like Marlene and Arlene the damage is unchanged. The lumberjack, fatcop, mutated etc. do have increased damage. I think it depends on which HandItem they get but on a brief look I couldn't see how things were that different. I wasn't curious enough to really check it out though.

Is your mod working for all zombie types?

7 hours ago, seven said:

So, I thought I'd check this in A21 and it doesn't work, at least not for all zombies. Basic zombies like Marlene and Arlene the damage is unchanged. The lumberjack, fatcop, mutated etc. do have increased damage. I think it depends on which HandItem they get but on a brief look I couldn't see how things were that different. I wasn't curious enough to really check it out though.

Is your mod working for all zombie types?

Last I checked it was working just fine, for all zombie types 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Hells_Janitor said:

Last I checked it was working just fine, for all zombie types 🤷‍♂️

Well, your mod is working, but I don't think the code is doing what you think it's doing. Or else you're doing a little obfuscation.

I modified your items.xml like so, just 9 damage, and still die in one hit.

<HellsJanitor>

<set xpath="//item[starts-with(@name,'meleeHandZombie')]/property[@class='Action0']//property[@name='DamageEntity']/@value">9</set>
    <set xpath="//item[starts-with(@name,'meleeHandAnimal')]/property[@class='Action0']//property[@name='DamageEntity']/@value">9</set>
    <set xpath="//item[starts-with(@name,'ammoProjectileZombie')]/property[@class='Action1']//property[@name='DamageEntity']/@value">9</set>

</HellsJanitor>

If I delete items.xml from your mod so it's just vanilla, still die in one hit.

1 hour ago, seven said:

Well, your mod is working, but I don't think the code is doing what you think it's doing. Or else you're doing a little obfuscation.

I modified your items.xml like so, just 9 damage, and still die in one hit.

<HellsJanitor>

<set xpath="//item[starts-with(@name,'meleeHandZombie')]/property[@class='Action0']//property[@name='DamageEntity']/@value">9</set>
    <set xpath="//item[starts-with(@name,'meleeHandAnimal')]/property[@class='Action0']//property[@name='DamageEntity']/@value">9</set>
    <set xpath="//item[starts-with(@name,'ammoProjectileZombie')]/property[@class='Action1']//property[@name='DamageEntity']/@value">9</set>

</HellsJanitor>

If I delete items.xml from your mod so it's just vanilla, still die in one hit.

ok, I've confused myself here 😛 

You would die in one hit because of the "chain reaction" in buffs.xml:

<buff name="buffOneHitKillTrigger" showonhud="true" name_key="buffOneHitKillTriggerName" description_key="buffOneHitKillTriggerDesc" tooltip_key="buffOneHitKillTriggerTip" icon="ui_game_symbol_zombie" icon_color="204,85,0" icon_blink="true">        
        <duration value="0"/>        

<effect_group>            
            <triggered_effect trigger="onOtherAttackedSelf" action="AddBuff" buff="buffOneHitKill">
            <requirement name="EntityTagCompare" target="other" tags="entity,zombie,hostile"/>            
            </triggered_effect>            
        </effect_group>        
    </buff>

<duration value="0"/>        

<effect_group>            
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyStats" stat="Health" operation="subtract" value="99999999"/>        
        </effect_group>        
    </buff>

The trigger is applied to the player on first spawn, and the one-hit kill buff is applied any time the conditions within the trigger are met.

Quite why I changed the zombie hand damage in items.xml is completely beyond me ...

Edited by Hells_Janitor (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Hells_Janitor said:

Quite why I changed the zombie hand damage in items.xml is completely beyond me ...

If I was a betting man, that was probably your first attempt at it and you forgot the code was there