Zombies attacking power lines/components?

Was on a day 49 horde night last night with my mate and afterwards we realised the zombies had been targeting the power lines/components powering our base defences.

Our main base is on one side of the street, with our horde base on the other. All our generators are housed in our main base, powering the horde base turrets through a series of pylons (relays on posts, >7 blocks off the ground). My friend first pointed out they were going after the pylons, and I said it was most likely the zombies going into random attack mode/rage mode. But when the sun rose, I saw there was damage to the areas where the generators were, the switch that activated the horde base defences and the bottom of the pylons - with no other damage anywhere else (apart from our horde base). It's worth noting that the generator room is across the street and 4 floors up, nowhere near us.

Is this some new addition to the zombie AI (I've been playing the game for a long time but recently came back after a few years away)? They were pathing to us correctly, but it seems like cops where deliberately targeting our power network... any ideas?

Your case is just likely that rare where the evidence can point to such a specific conclusion.  The Zombie AI does not target specifically any type of infrastructure, other than just generally player made objects.  They will play through a space or an object simply because its there and in the way. From what I have observed the zombie pathing logic is a bit less rigidly defined than it has been in the past, and that change has been made in the time you've been away.   I think the reason for this was to make them seem a bit more chaotic and less a thinking foe.

But, for the reasons above I think it's just a mere coincidence, as I've not heard of this being an issue for a really long time.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

As how you are describing your base configuration,

it might be the case that at least one of your turrets hit the zombies on their way to you at your horde base, when they are in the vicinity of the "electric support pillars" or under your main base.

So then they beat a little "frustrated" at those before moving in your direction again.

So in the end it is some "rage mode" initiated stuff going on there, just - as Ramethzer0 already suggested - coincidentally looking like intended behaviour towards electrics.

Maybe rework the line of sight of these turrets and it might stop happening.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)