Make the axe a viable melee weapon as well as a tool

Old Crow

I already use the Iron Axe all game. It's way faster than the stupid steel monstrosity and well... it's an axe, lol. A well-aimed power attack with it can still decapitate normal zeds, and what more do ya need?

I do wish the fire axe mod was a universal damage upgrade for the Iron Axe and not just for smashing wood blocks faster at the expense of damage.

Agreed. The axe might relatively early become invalid as a hordenight melee weapon, to clear lots and lots of zombies that are directly in front of you,

but then again that does pretty much count for every melee weapon. Sooner or later you have to rely on firearms anyway.

But the axe is always a good and funny way to "chop away" smaller groups of zombies e.g. sleeper volumes when quest-clearing pois,

or the normal biome spawns.

I like to use it from time to time, just for the fun of it, and never had the feeling of it being too underwhelming in said context.

Well that said I have to "admit" I turned away from vanilla pretty quickly, and I don't know exactly how much the mod(s) do tweak with damage output.

And of course it depends on difficulty settings too.

Btw funny thing would be if tools would benefit from a corresponding "armor/outfit set", e.g. a "miner's set" would make the pickaxe a very good weapon, or a "lumberjack's outfit" for the axe...or even a "boozer's gear" for molotov cocktails if you really wanna specialize 😄

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

23 hours ago, FramFramson said:

I already use the Iron Axe all game. It's way faster than the stupid steel monstrosity and well... it's an axe, lol. A well-aimed power attack with it can still decapitate normal zeds, and what more do ya need?

I do wish the fire axe mod was a universal damage upgrade for the Iron Axe and not just for smashing wood blocks faster at the expense of damage.

There should be two mods 

Fireaxe mod makes blocks take more damage 

Battle axe mod, does more dismembing damage and just more damage but does less to blocks an much less harvesting. This is effected by heavy weapons

10 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

There should be two mods 

Fireaxe mod makes blocks take more damage 

Battle axe mod, does more dismembing damage and just more damage but does less to blocks an much less harvesting. This is effected by heavy weapons

I did something like that in Alpha 20.  I had a mod that you could convert the axe into a fighting weapon, but you saw a significant reduction in block damage.  Nothing was done to dismembering chances and harvest amounts were not affected.  However, it was a one and done change as I also changed the mods so you couldn't remove them after you modified the item with them

<item_modifier name="modMeleeCombatAxeMod" installable_tags="axe" blocked_tags="noMods" type="mod">
            <property name="Extends" value="modGeneralMaster"/>
            <property name="CustomIcon" value="modMeleeFiremansAxeMod"/>
            <property name="CustomIconTint" value="000000"/>        
            <effect_group tiered="false">
                <passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" value=".25"/>
                <passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="perc_add" value="-1"/>
            </effect_group>
        </item_modifier>

So if you wanted to use an axe as a fighting weapon, you either had to deal with taking a longer time to harvest materials or carry two different types.  Allowing someone just to switch the axe mods to change it from a fighting weapon to a harvesting tool and vice versa would be too OP.  Strength tree is already OP with two highly effective melee weapons and the strongest tree to harvest materials.

On 12/12/2023 at 9:09 PM, Old Crow said:

As the topic says. If the machete and hunting knife can be both, why not the axe?

It's a balance issue why you can't.  The Strength tree is already OP with its two highly effective strength weapons and being the best tree for harvesting materials.  Making the axe to be a powerful melee weapon along with a powerful tool to harvest materials pushes the game balance too far.  It is why TFP nerfed the axe as a melee weapon in the first place.

If you compare the two trees though, having the knife as both a melee weapon and a tool doesn't benefit the players much compared to making the axe a viable melee weapon and a harvesting tool.  The Agility players only have one melee weapon which also serves to harvest corpses, there are no perks in the Agility tree to boost knife harvest amounts.  The Strength players have 2 melee weapons and a separate harvesting tool (axe), and perks to improve harvesting with the axe.

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I did something like that in Alpha 20.  I had a mod that you could convert the axe into a fighting weapon, but you saw a significant reduction in block damage.  Nothing was done to dismembering chances and harvest amounts were not affected.  However, it was a one and done change as I also changed the mods so you couldn't remove them after you modified the item with them

<item_modifier name="modMeleeCombatAxeMod" installable_tags="axe" blocked_tags="noMods" type="mod">
            <property name="Extends" value="modGeneralMaster"/>
            <property name="CustomIcon" value="modMeleeFiremansAxeMod"/>
            <property name="CustomIconTint" value="000000"/>        
            <effect_group tiered="false">
                <passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" value=".25"/>
                <passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="perc_add" value="-1"/>
            </effect_group>
        </item_modifier>

So if you wanted to use an axe as a fighting weapon, you either had to deal with taking a longer time to harvest materials or carry two different types.  Allowing someone just to switch the axe mods to change it from a fighting weapon to a harvesting tool and vice versa would be too OP.  Strength tree is already OP with two highly effective melee weapons and the strongest tree to harvest materials.

If anything I would make it into a conversion were once you place that mod you can't go back. And sense you said strength was op And it is! I would put it in agility so knifes 

Then again axes can be heavy. Unless it's a hatchet you aren't going to be swinging it willy nilly 

Also TFP! Hire this man