Windows - Game is extremely slow (character and Zombies)

Tinou

Hi there,

It's now been a few days that I am encountering a bug on my PC whatever server I play on. I already tried to restart the game, create a new game, validated the game files through Steam, unistall and reinstalled the game but the bug is still here.

Indeed, the problem appeared for the first time a few days ago when launching a game (MP local) that I am hosting without any mod. Since then, my game is extremely slow and jerky, and it's demonstrated in different ways:

• Zombies are very slow when moving or attacking
  • I am myself very slow when walking/running, cycling, or driving the motorcycle, and when I'm in the air it feels like there less gravity, but not when I fall from a cliff or some height where I fall normally.

The bug doesn't seem to affect my friend who is playing my game.

Here are the logs of the game: https://pastebin.com/DNnNRCbM

It's almost unplayable like this and I am so sad because this game is clearly my favourite game and I really hope you can helping sorting this bug.

Thanks!

Tinou

• 3 weeks later...

My wife is having this exact same issue.  We have reinstalled, switched servers and run games locally and hosted.  Every time eventually she starts slowing down.  This is before we get drones so they aren't the issue and seems we can recreate the issue reliably if she starts a new server and plays until she enters the trader.  Before trader the game is fine, after is slows way down and her FPS starts bouncing around visably going from normal 140+ down to single digits and back.  We downgraded the game to 21.1 and issues still occur.  I was hosting and have played on her hosting and the issue hasn't occurred to me on my system. We removed profile and user files with no improvement on the issue.  First started on 21.2 with me hosting, but only occurred to her and I could see her slow jumping and slow moving, while I was moving fine.   She is on a solid gaming Alienware desktop with an Nvidia card:

10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700KF

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 2070 SUPER(TM) 8GB GDDR6

16GB Dual Channel HyperX(FM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Any assistance would be helpful!

8 hours ago, leukos said:

My wife is having this exact same issue.  We have reinstalled, switched servers and run games locally and hosted.  Every time eventually she starts slowing down.  This is before we get drones so they aren't the issue and seems we can recreate the issue reliably if she starts a new server and plays until she enters the trader.  Before trader the game is fine, after is slows way down and her FPS starts bouncing around visably going from normal 140+ down to single digits and back.  We downgraded the game to 21.1 and issues still occur.  I was hosting and have played on her hosting and the issue hasn't occurred to me on my system. We removed profile and user files with no improvement on the issue.  First started on 21.2 with me hosting, but only occurred to her and I could see her slow jumping and slow moving, while I was moving fine.   She is on a solid gaming Alienware desktop with an Nvidia card:

10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700KF

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 2070 SUPER(TM) 8GB GDDR6

16GB Dual Channel HyperX(FM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Any assistance would be helpful!

If you aren't going to follow the advice Beelzybub already provided in the thread, at least take the time to read the Pinned threads in the forum, and follow the instructions. Particularly the post about how to report an issue.

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

I did respond to Beelzybub's point about Drones,  I said it is occurring early in play before drones are available at start of new world or at first trader visit.   So I don't see how drones could be involved.

I did read the post about how to report an issue. I didn't create a new thread so I didn't think that applied.  I am just adding another example of the issue to this existing post.  It would be helpful if you told me exactly what information you need me to add if you are trying to help me.  Are you saying you need the game logs? I'll add those. 

Reinstalling the graphics driver seems to have made some difference, so monitoring and will re-post with logs if it starts happening again.  Is there any known issue with most recent Nvidia drivers?  I didn't see any searching the forums/internet.

Issue is still ongoing.  Tried downgrading the graphics card driver to the last release, but didn't help either.  Pulling logs now after I start a new locally hosted world to recreate the issue in.   Also for the record tried disabling EAC with no impact. 

Edited by leukos (see edit history)

6 hours ago, leukos said:

Reinstalling the graphics driver seems to have made some difference, so monitoring and will re-post with logs if it starts happening again.  Is there any known issue with most recent Nvidia drivers?  I didn't see any searching the forums/internet.

There is apparently a lot of complaints with nvidia drivers causing stuttering, I'm seeing people on reddit recommend sticking to 537.58 for now 

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/18al12y/game_ready_driver_54629_faqdiscussion/

So maybe try uninstalling using DDU and then install 537.58 to see if that helps any?

Summary: (A short description of the bug)

Game Version: A21.2  b30 ( but downgraded to 21.1 Stable and issue still occurring)

OS/Version: Windows 

CPU Model: 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700KF

System Memory: 16GB Dual Channel HyperX(FM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

GPU Model and VRAM: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 2070 SUPER(TM) 8GB GDDR6

Screen Resolution: 2560x1440

Video Settings: Tried Low, Med, High, Ultra and customized some settings, issue persists. 

Game mode: MP host & MP client & SP & tested on RWG and NAV with no resolution.  Sometimes is ok on new world until trader visited, but not always. 

Did you wipe old saves? (Yes/No) Yes

Did you start a new game? (Yes/No) Yes

Did you validate your files? (Yes/No) Yes

Are you using any mods? (Yes/No) No

EAC on or off? Turned off and on, no change. 

Bug Description:

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

Only pattern seems to be sometimes this occurs on a new server after entering the trader space/larger town, but unable to confirm as issue seems to be inconsistent.  The first time it happened was on a MP server and only occured to me as a client connecting in, all others were fine.  Tested on single player locally hosted and was able to recreate it.  Changes to video settings and other game settings didn't make any diference.  Reinstalled Video driver, no change.  Downgraded video driver and it worked the first time I tried it for brief test, but after rebooting the computer the issue was back again. 

Actual result: (description of what is occurring)

• Player very slow when walking/running, cycling, or driving the minibike, and when I'm in the air it feels like there less gravity as I drop back to the ground slower from a jump.  When this occurs on a MP server other players were not impacted, but were able to see the slow movement of my character relative their own.  
  • Zombies are also slow when moving or attacking from t he players computer view. 

Expected result: (what you expect to occur)

Link to Pastebin Output Log:

Here are a few of the recent logs in the folder, though it doesn't seem to log everytime I ran it for testing.  When does it log?

https://pastebin.com/czKUxaLH

https://pastebin.com/mchSKrB1

One other note, it is only during movement that things are slow, but moving the mouse around to view things and interact works very normally.  Only movement impacted. 

53 minutes ago, NekoPawtato said:

There is apparently a lot of complaints with nvidia drivers causing stuttering, I'm seeing people on reddit recommend sticking to 537.58 for now 

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/18al12y/game_ready_driver_54629_faqdiscussion/

So maybe try uninstalling using DDU and then install 537.58 to see if that helps any?

Thanks for the response. Hmm, I will give that a go.  Does it make sense that it would be visably slow to a second player on the server watching my character move and jump?  And mouse movement and view doesn't stutter or have any slowness, only movement of the character.  Stuttering does seem like a decent description of the problem, but only applied to movement seems so strange as most video performance issues I've seen would impact the mouse movement redraws as well as the character movement redraws (for lack of a better word).   I had downgraded from 546.29 to 546.17.  I will try going back to 537.58. 

Edited by leukos (see edit history)

12 hours ago, leukos said:

Thanks for the response. Hmm, I will give that a go.  Does it make sense that it would be visably slow to a second player on the server watching my character move and jump? 

I honestly don't know 😅I figure if you were going to try downgrading drivers anyway to use a known good one. 

I have seen another reddit post with similar issue as well, one guy said he switched to GLCore to fix and another guy said he switched to dedicated fullscreen mode and it fixed. Coincidentally enough both have NVIDIA and both said the issue started when their drivers updated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/7daystodie/comments/18d272s/anyone_know_how_to_fix_this_stutter/

Do let us know if any of these solutions work for you though

18 hours ago, leukos said:

Does it make sense that it would be visably slow to a second player on the server watching my character move and jump?

Yes, the server you're connecting to is failing on the LiteNetLib connection and falling back to SteamNetworking. SteamNetworking adds network latency which is unpredictable and can cause all sorts of weirdness. Generally, LiteNetLib fails when the server host hasn't forwarded ports properly.

And as to your stuttering, turn off Vsync both in your game and in your Nvidia control panel (If it's enabled there).

Thank you both for the responses.  I did downgrade the video card driver to 537.58 and the issue has gone away as far as I can tell.  We played for a few hours yesterday with no occurrence.  I will keep an eye on it for now.  Thanks for the suggestion, Neko.

30 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Yes, the server you're connecting to is failing on the LiteNetLib connection and falling back to SteamNetworking.

I am interested in resolving this if it is contributing to making the connections worse for our play.  I am playing with 4 computers all on the same network, including the host.  We connect using the Steam friends list to join servers, is that forcing me to Steam Networking?

If not...As it is all on a local LAN it is not going through any port forwards on a internet facing firewall.  The host windows firewall is set to allow TCP/UDP inbound and outbound for 7 Days to Die as automatically configured, with no other firewall active on the private network/Host.  Any clarity why it is failing from the logs or your experiences? Can you point me to general troubleshooting for LiteNetLib 7 days connections if this is already written up somewhere I can reference it?