A21.2 - Player Inventory Preference System.

Old Crow

It's entirely possible that what was added was just background code in preparation for a future feature. If that's the case, it probably should be worded better in the release notes.

I saw suggestions that it could be tied to lockable inventory slots. While that should definitely be a vanilla feature, the code already exists (and has existed) for a while be just disabled/commented out for some reason. Many of the mods that allow players to lock inventory slots is simply enabling that existing code.

I haven't downloaded it yet, but I wonder if we could find clues to what it is after looking at the code.

Slightly off topic.  Most of the Experimental add-ins appeared to be for twitch functionality.

Not gonna lie, that was quite disappointing.  It had so much potential for missions and quests.

I don't enjoy TI in its current form (dumping on streamers) and more often than not find some other streamer to watch.

I would probably pay to have it disabled...

40 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

Slightly off topic.  Most of the Experimental add-ins appeared to be for twitch functionality.

Not gonna lie, that was quite disappointing.  It had so much potential for missions and quests.

I don't enjoy TI in its current form (dumping on streamers) and more often than not find some other streamer to watch.

More missions or quests aren't likely until A22.  They aren't normally the type of thing to get added in the middle of an alpha, though it's possible.

2 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

Yeah.. I'm still waiting for the two unique types of quests that aren't variations of existing quests.

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

More missions or quests aren't likely until A22.  They aren't normally the type of thing to get added in the middle of an alpha, though it's possible.

Sorry, I was not clear.  I was not indicating more trader missions (which are too lucrative as it is and Brokenly OP with DA).

The Twitch functionality provides a base for dynamic events.  These dynamic events could be coalesced into more open ended quests and events inside the game.  e.g. doing a freelance clear and find a MacGuffin (trader satchel ?), return the satchel to an NPC (or Trader) for a special mission; to bring resources, to kill things, etc.   Dynamic events like brining a torch too near one of the gas lines means it lights up and player has to turn off the valve.

The disappointment stems from focusing on a portion of the game not relevant to a large portion of the player base (bit spending).  Especially in light of the whole poorly handled MM and DCMA fiasco.  TFP used up a lot of my goodwill there...   

Edited by 8_Hussars
content and completeness (see edit history)

4 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

So Player Inventory Preference System, means lockable inventory slots?

I swear, someone takes extra time to make those patch notes as nebolous as possible.

Apparently not.  Roland stated it just means that if you die and drop your backpack, then when you pick it up again, everything goes back to the original locations (including belt slots) so you don't have to reorganize everything.  Not a bad idea but definitely not what I was hoping for.

1 hour ago, 8_Hussars said:

Sorry, I was not clear.  I was not indicating more trader missions (which are too lucrative as it is and Brokenly OP with DA).

The Twitch functionality provides a base for dynamic events.  These dynamic events could be coalesced into more open ended quests and events inside the game.  e.g. doing a freelance clear and find a MacGuffin (trader satchel ?), return the satchel to an NPC (or Trader) for a special mission; to bring resources, to kill things, etc.   Dynamic events like brining a torch too near one of the gas lines means it lights up and player has to turn off the valve.

The disappointment stems from focusing on a portion of the game not relevant to a large portion of the player base (bit spending).  Especially in light of the whole poorly handled MM and DCMA fiasco.  TFP used up a lot of my goodwill there...   

Even something like that isn't likely to come mid-alpha, I don't think.  Unfortunately, I really don't expect them to add any more new kinds of quests except related to bandits/story, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.  But perhaps a modder can take advantage of that event system to do their own stuff.

As far as Twitch content, Twitch is a good advertising option for them, so they are going to add stuff for that even if it doesn't matter to most players.

5 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

So Player Inventory Preference System, means lockable inventory slots?

I swear, someone takes extra time to make those patch notes as nebolous as possible.

That was just a guess on someone else's part. Not a confirmation. And apparently it was an incorrect guess.

3 hours ago, Riamus said:

As far as Twitch content, Twitch is a good advertising option for them, so they are going to add stuff for that even if it doesn't matter to most players.

Sure, it may have been so.  But the fallout of MM, DCMA, and monetization fiascos; as well as forcing the twitch integration on viewers; used up a lot of goodwill in the community.

I suspect most twitch viewers are aware of the game and watch for content purposes (and some don't watch CCs due to twitch integration), so the advertising reach may be rather limited.

15 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

Sure, it may have been so.  But the fallout of MM, DCMA, and monetization fiascos; as well as forcing the twitch integration on viewers; used up a lot of goodwill in the community.

I suspect most twitch viewers are aware of the game and watch for content purposes (and some don't watch CCs due to twitch integration), so the advertising reach may be rather limited.

I think the idea that most people watching the game on twitch have any idea about what happened with MM is incorrect.  There will be far more people watching streams who have never heard about it.  Stands have long been a great source of advertisement for games and even with the stuff about MM, most people interested in watching this stuff will continue to do so and that will keep stranger numbers up in channels and will draw in more viewers.  And there will be a good number of people who know about MM and either agree or don't care.  You could see that here in the responses to the posts about it.  Most people posting didn't think there was a problem with it.

Either way, it will still be a good advertisement opportunity for them and they will continue to support it through updates and improvements and features.