Structural integrity bug or something else?

I am building a test base that will have a lot of head-removers (inverted blad-traps) and may have found a bug, or a feature I never ran into before. As I am building the structure that will hold up the traps, I get all but the last two done, and then the last two would cause it to collapse despite being within distance (mirror image on the other side) of support. Is there some kind of limit to the number of blocks a block can support and not just a range? See the attached screenshots. The first one shows the structure and the second shows the next block being "red" indicating that everything will collapse if I place it.

251570_20230810160315_1.png

251570_20230810160334_1.png

Edited by The_Great_Sephiroth
Forgot screenshots (see edit history)

Sometimes there is an issue under the ground (not sure because it all looks green) but maybe get  in god mode and sink below the surface and look for voids under your structure and fill them in. Just a guess. Also there may be a weight issue where to many blocks for the given support make it unstable.

Edited by Aileras (see edit history)

I'll wing this a bit, numbers might be off ... those support poles, if concrete, offer 100 weight each for the middle section. Each block weighs 10, iron types weigh 20. You have 16(x10) concrete hanging on the 200 support, and 4 blade traps, exact limit of 200. EDIT: already past the limit of 200..!? :)

Upgrade the top of the support pillar to steel and then from there onwards the rest; if you can't add more support blocks. The way the blade traps work atm, they might get support from ground if you place plates under them there.. but that's a lil hacky... :)

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

Each block type has a different level of strength/build/weight/distance allowance.

I have built a perfectly stable structure only to place down a forge and have that collapse it.

Pretty sure that is what you are experiencing + total blocks/distance. It is supporting

Steel.. carries 320 per glue side, so 640 total for that structure. You have 16 steel blocks hanging from two "carrying faces", plus the blade traps. 16x20 = 320. I don't know how much a blade trap weighs atm, the multiblocks have been weird on occasion. Could be 20, could be 9x20. At 4x(9x20) + 320 = 1040 it would be way over the limit as well - but  blocks that are "pinched between" glue portions have always been a little weird.

One way to add some more support from those same pillars is to add poles in the corners between the hanging elements. I marked them in your picture with red lines (EDIT to add: any block will do of course, poles would just hide there nicely..)

TGS-base-polespots.png

I changed my design and built my "field of decapitation" but now have a very strange one and I do not believe it is related to structural integrity. I'm mounting some solar banks up high on the building. There are four per side. East and west, no issues. North and south only allow two. The strangest part is it is the "right" banks that won't mount. Left mounts fine. What I mean is that if you're facing south, looking at the north wall OR facing north, looking at the south wall, the two on the right are red. The building is 100% symmetrical so there's nothing that should be preventing this, and I cannot figure it out. Any ideas as to what is going on here? When I try to place it I just get a strange sound.

251570_20230811110625_1.png

It gets stranger. I cannot place it on the ground or anywhere in that column of game space. This might be a bug?

251570_20230811112147_1.png

Update:

It's a game bug. There is a shutter next to a window above the bank. This shutter in no way can block the light to the bank (see screenshot) but it won't allow me to place it. I can remove the shutters, place the bank, then replace the shutters, but will the bank work?

251570_20230811113001_1.png

Edited by The_Great_Sephiroth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

It gets stranger. I cannot place it on the ground or anywhere in that column of game space. This might be a bug?

251570_20230811112147_1.png

Update:

It's a game bug. There is a shutter next to a window above the bank. This shutter in no way can block the light to the bank (see screenshot) but it won't allow me to place it. I can remove the shutters, place the bank, then replace the shutters, but will the bank work?

251570_20230811113001_1.png

My understanding of light for solar panels is this... (I may be wrong, though)

Most blocks are not marked as allowing light to pass through them.  Light pass through isn't based on direction... It either allows light to pass through in all directions or not at all.  A shutter won't allow light to pass through because it is supposed to block light.  Because it isn't by direction, just because it is flat to the building, it still is a 1m block that doesn't pass light in any direction.  You can move a solar bank if you have a land claim placed, so just try putting the shutters after and if the solar bank doesn't work, move the solar bank or remove the shutters.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

The same shutters are on top of the "left" banks as well. But I think the "light check" for the solar panel is done on one of the four blocks, not all/any, just one specific one. If your image is any indication, the second panel from the left in the shown orientation is the one covered by the shutter. (On the left side, the third is covered without issue..)

EDIT: The obvious solution from that, would be to place the right side bank as "on face" on the wall: that way the ends will swap places, but it should still look somewhat symmetrical. Dunno if solar panels allow for the rotations though.

I removed the shutters and placed the banks. Now when dawn hits we'll see what happens.

Update:
No power, despite being in direct sunlight. Upon further testing, I can enclose a solar bank in steel and leave a hole over the #2 slot and it works. I would say this needs some TLC before release.

Edited by The_Great_Sephiroth (see edit history)